Marlon King (1 Viewer)

A lot has been said about the former Watford and Wigan centre forward, and somebody on Twitter said he reckons King will be signing later this week, so I thought I'd give my view for my first thread on here!

The way I see it, there are four scenarios.

First Scenario: We sign King, opinions are split, he scores a few and becomes top scorer with 15+ goals, then everyone's happy.

Second Scenario: We sign King, opinions are split, he causes trouble in the dressing room, doesn't score many goals and we fire him off after a season.

Third Scenario: We don't sign King, then he goes to another Championship clubs and bags 15+ goals, and we kick ourselves.

Fourth Scenario: We don't sign King, he doesn't score many goals, causes trouble at another club, and we breathe a sigh of relief.

Personally, I'd be happy with the 1st and 4th scenarios. However, the 2nd scenario won't be too bad, at least we've tried. We desperately don't want the 3rd scenario to happen, and the only way to guarantee avoiding it, is to sign him up.

Fair enough, he's not an ideal role model, but that's not his job. Football is a business, and his goals could earn serious money. If not, fire jim off after a season, and at least we gave him a chance.

Fact is, we're getting a striker who a Premiership club forked out £5mil for a couple of seasons ago.

Sign him up Aidy.

Thoughts?

gouldberg

Him signing for Coventry really does worry me to be honest. I did a write-up on my opinions of it which can be found *here*. It may be a little outdated factually now but most of the points are still very valid. I'm highly concerned that since we as fans are so split on his signing imagine what the players would be like. He's hit a team-mate before, he could do it again, and if the dressing room divides we can wave goodbye to ANY chance of challenging this season.

I think we need to remember that Marlon has been convicted of a crime and served his time. Aidy B is sticking his neck on the line a bit by offering him a second chance. I think the responsibility is on Mr King to prove himself for his manager 'and team mates'. Hopefully, ultimately he will be judged by the fans on performances and not his past or future digressions.

Last edited:
@Gouldberg: He's hit a team mate before, yes, but since then he's served time in prison. Prison is there so that people can go in and learn from their mistakes, and the exit prison with a clean slate. You can't just cast these people aside, or else prison would be a pointless exercise.

Did you see his interview on SSN? And the interview of Wigan's chairman Dave Whelan?

You could tell that King had learnt from his mistakes and he was ready to get back to providing for his family. He's realised he needs to tone down a bit as his children are getting older, and need their father as someone to look up to.

Dave Whelan stated that King's time at Wigan was very much the opposite to what his private life has implied. He said that King had been very hard-working and committed in training, and got on with the other players well.

I say sign him up, we need all the help we can get!

Users who are viewing this thread