Mark Robins (1 Viewer)

Grendel

There’s talk that when and it will soon be when Graham Potter gets the boot at Chelsea his pay off will be around £50 million, ridiculous, probably tax free.
Potter is a decent manager but it’s players who will get him out, nearly always is, that’s why Fergie got rid of certain players who dominated the dressing room but it took Sir Alex five years to control the dressing room and in that time he dispensed with some strong characters some in their prime.
In a way Robins has done the same here and now fully controls the squad of players and has that ruthless streak too.

How on earth is it tax free?

ProfessorbyGrace

His first starting XI six years ago
Might be my age, but I cannot remember K.Foley at RB and C. Vernam up front. 🤔

Really is surprising how rapidly 6 whole years have flown by, but what a 6 years for CCFC. ⚽️

slowpoke

It's only the first 30k of a severance payment that can be made tax free though he may have a clause in his contract that gives him that amount net of tax but surely not. Even in this crazy industry that can't be right, can it ?
Not sure but I remember the stink when those high bonus payments were made to some of those high flying brokers in the City which I’m sure were tax free. Still paying 40% on £50 mill and too bad is it.

pipkin73

Had a look on the Leicester board to see if anyone was considering him for them and there were a few posters who thought he’d be a good fit and would take the job but a gamble.
O
I think a lot of us wish we couldn't remember, to be honest....
I remember Vernam but not Foley, guess i've only lost half the plot lol. Mind you, this Sunday is my 50th so i think after that i will have lost the whole plot.

The Philosopher

I mean, that team by any measure is poor af. Stokes was “ok”, we got a decent fee for Stevenson who then I think hasn’t done much - the rest? It’s no wonder we went down.

Robins has done wonders for us. He himself came back to the club after a year being jobless after being sacked by Huddersfield and then Scunthorpe.

In a way it’s a good thing that he didn’t do so well elsewhere. He’ll know that if he leaves (again) then he might not automatically succeed or get the support / free rein that he gets here. Also, other clubs thinking about poaching will look at his Hudds / Scunthorpe and to an extent Barnsley stats and see that he’s not always been successful.

Some managers and clubs just “work”. Nathan Jones, Luton; great there but leaves for Stoke and flops, goes back to Luton - does great, goes to Southampton - fired. I think Jones’ problem is that he doesn’t take Mick Harford with him who I think does the Ady role behind the scenes. Without Harford Jones doesn’t work.

Robins has done brilliantly and hats off to him. I’ve said before (as have others), Ady is also phenomenally important and we should (the club I mean) throw him some toffee to recognise that.

Talking of chewy stuff, has anyone ever seen Robins NOT chomping gum?

ProfessorbyGrace

I hope we shot him for that. I still don’t really remember him!
He was about as mobile as a dump truck, if I remember rightly. Looked like a part time player. 🤣

Ian1779

He has always worked on limited funds so of course it would take time to put a decent side together after each promotion.

Since he came back 6 years ago we have improved every season. How many managers have had to put up with half he has and still be successful?

But why would he want to leave?
I’m convinced he intends to stay until he gets us to the PL, and I am convinced that he will achieve it too.

Brighton Sky Blue

I never thought I'd see us in the top flight again in my lifetime, now I'm fairly certain I will, (as long as I don't die beforehand!).
By that, I mean if I get to average life expectancy.

Wonder if the ‘We’ll Be Back’ guy is still knocking around

TomRad85

I never thought I'd see us in the top flight again in my lifetime, now I'm fairly certain I will, (as long as I don't die beforehand!).
By that, I mean if I get to average life expectancy.
I'm only 37 and a few years back I was convinced I'd snuff it before we ever got back there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Great_Expectations

Unfortunately I remember every single one of those players!

Always liked Stokes, he was a steady, solid and reliable LB but was never going to make the journey to Championship play off contenders with us. He absolutely loved/loves the club too which is always good to see.

Stevenson is the other I really liked, and I’m massively surprised he’s found his level where he has. Perhaps he’ll still push on, but ruined his career leaving us really.

Never really got G Thomas, thought he was ok, but being snapped up by Leicester was crazy.

The less said about the rest is probably for the best.

SBT

Stevenson is the other I really liked, and I’m massively surprised he’s found his level where he has. Perhaps he’ll still push on, but ruined his career leaving us really.
He left us when we were in League Two and is now a regular in League One, with a payday from Wolves along the way - I'd say he's done OK.

TomRad85

He left us when we were in League Two and is now a regular in League One, with a payday from Wolves along the way - I'd say he's done OK.
Won't be a regular in league 1 very long. He's hardly established as a league 1 player and his team are rock bottom.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread