Mark Robins... One of coventrys greatest ever managers (1 Viewer)

Gibbo

To achieve what Robins' has with the resouces at his disposal in the competitive environment of today has been near miraculous. In many ways Hill had it so much easier, Coventry was a boom town and the financial factor was much less dominating. He also chickened out of the biggest challenge.

Oh and much as I enjoyed much of the Milne era we never got very far and again the financial challenges were so considerably less. I know Grendel disagrees, but I was there.

The best Coventry side I saw was Cantwell year 3. An unpopular view.

Irish Sky Blue

To achieve what Robins' has with the resouces at his disposal in the competitive environment of today has been near miraculous. In many ways Hill had it so much easier, Coventry was a boom town and the financial factor was much less dominating. He also chickened out of the biggest challenge.

Oh and much as I enjoyed much of the Milne era we never got very far and again the financial challenges were so considerably less. I know Grendel disagrees, but I was there.

To say that JH chickened out of the biggest challenge is unfair. He wanted a ten year contract, Derrick Robins would not agree to this. However, if you read Hill’s autobiography he says he was disappointed that the club never came back to him with a compromise offer, an offer he probably would have accepted. He did actually manage the team for the first couple of months in the first division before Cantwell was appointed so he never ran away from the challenge.
Cantwell was a miracle worker in some ways.To stave off relegation in those first two seasons in the way he did and then produce the team that finished in the club’s highest ever position in the third was a fantastic achievement. The style of play, along with the resultant drop in gates, was what did for him really as we were a very defensive outfit who were dull to watch.
The best Coventry team ever?The league table would say yes they were, but when Mercer and Milne came in they were a breath of fresh air with their brand of exciting and attacking football. I think the Gordon Milne team that finished 7th would have beaten Cantwell’s 1970 side. They are certainly the team that I have the fondest memories of. Football that was a joy to watch.

Irish Sky Blue

Also interesting to note that from Hill’s appointment in 1961 to Milne’s departure in 1981, we had only 3 managers. In the last 20 year period we have had 15 permanent managers (counting Robins twice). Different times I know but I think that there is a lot to be said for giving a manager time to carry out the task given to them ( unless the manager is Russell Slade). Food for thought for those, who, despite Robin’s great achievements over the past three years, begin angling for his removal at the first rocky patch this season (‘I’m not saying he should be removed but Kenny Jackett would be a good replacement’. Last season it was Gareth Ainsworth).
Milne for example was given 7 or 8 years in the job. This despite a few relegation battles and with chants of “Milne Out” ringing around Highfield Road on more than one occasion. Credit to the board at the time (which included JH) for giving him a chance. I would still say the decision to move him upstairs and replace him with Dave Sexton was wrong.

Grendel

Also interesting to note that from Hill’s appointment in 1961 to Milne’s departure in 1981, we had only 3 managers. In the last 20 year period we have had 15 permanent managers (counting Robins twice). Different times I know but I think that there is a lot to be said for giving a manager time to carry out the task given to them ( unless the manager is Russell Slade). Food for thought for those, who, despite Robin’s great achievements over the past three years, begin angling for his removal at the first rocky patch this season (‘I’m not saying he should be removed but Kenny Jackett would be a good replacement’. Last season it was Gareth Ainsworth).
Milne for example was given 7 or 8 years in the job. This despite a few relegation battles and with chants of “Milne Out” ringing around Highfield Road on more than one occasion. Credit to the board at the time (which included JH) for giving him a chance. I would still say the decision to move him upstairs and replace him with Dave Sexton was wrong.

Hill was a disaster as chairman

Yoy could also argue constant changes of management avoided what was often inevitable relegation thorough the 80s and 90s

Mucca Mad Boys

He’s undoubtedly our best manager in the modern era.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a particularly staggering feat. We have pretty much had a new manager every other year since relegation in 2001.

When we got relegated to L2, the only way was up and we’ve managed to get back into the Championship. If we stay up, and sort the stadium situation out, it could be the start of a golden age for us.

steve cooper

My memory might be playing old age tricks, but IMO some of the best football we have played was in that season. Cantwell took us into Europe winning 10 away games. We avoided relegation the previous season, seeing Leicester go down in the process.

Kneeza

I was a huge Hill fan (let's face it, he signed Ian Gibson...), and was devastated when he left.
I then became a Cantwell fan, although it took a year or two.
Sillett was a hero too.
But Robbins? What he's done with a couple of bob found down the back of the settee, and one hand tied behind his back, is nowt short of a miracle.
Legend in the making.

Grendel

Robins has one massive advantage which a lot of others didn’t - unequivocal backing by his clubs management - I doubt since Hill was manager that has actually happened much.

Grendel

you of little memory - Big Ron was given the crown jewels, and he spunked them up the wall

Not really. Richardson and Robinson wanted him to try and recruit players through loaned money they could sell at a profit.

steve cooper

I was a huge Hill fan (let's face it, he signed Ian Gibson...), and was devastated when he left.
Sillett was a hero too.
But Robbins? What he's done with a couple of bob found down the back of the settee, and one hand tied behind his back, is nowt short of a miracle.
Legend in the making.
Gibbo would have been a great player but was always injured later in his career with us (or down the pub, him and Ernie Hannigan)

Brighton Sky Blue

Robins has one massive advantage which a lot of others didn’t - unequivocal backing by his clubs management - I doubt since Hill was manager that has actually happened much.

You could perhaps cite Coleman's mess which prompted SISU to turn off the tap.

baldy

Sillett was a hero too.
Legend in the making.

Spell the legends surname properly then...it's not difficult

the rumpo kid

I'm in the process of collecting old bronze tat if anyone would like to contribute please let me know . By the time I have enough ( should be a couple of seasons) we should have enough, it's just where to put it ? ;)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm in the process of collecting old bronze tat if anyone would like to contribute please let me know . By the time I have enough ( should be a couple of seasons) we should have enough, it's just where to put it ? ;)

I hear after next Tue there's like to be one going going in the US.

EDIT: Sorry, misread it. I thought you said you were collecting old bronze twat.

higgs

He has done a remarkable job if he manages to keep us up this season that will be the greatest achievement of them all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Grendel

He has done a remarkable job if he manages to keep us up this season that will be the greatest achievement of them all

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

More than successive managers preserving 35 years of top flight football with zero budget?

Brighton Sky Blue

If he took us into the Prem he would qualify for best ever status but it would otherwise be harsh on the managers whose main aim was to keep us in the top flight.

Londonccfcfan

A great manager is for me who can change the team year on year 10 players a year.

Ferguson won premier league with almost 3 completely different teams.

Making the team stronger year on year is one thing.

To do that progressively from League 2 to League 1. Then to go again and strengthen again to win League 1. At higher levels is completely another.

Strengthened again now in the championship. Imo 4th continuous year of year on year player/team progression.

The timing and integration of academy players unbelievable notably Bayliss/Shipley....lesser extent youngsters like Sam/Dom/Rose.

To do this with lower budgets than the competition. Phenomenal job.

He's the best manager by a country mile in my lifetime supporting this club.

Grendel

If he took us into the Prem he would qualify for best ever status but it would otherwise be harsh on the managers whose main aim was to keep us in the top flight.

Indeed

We are a bit of an odd club with I think only 3 relegations in nearly 70 years and all in the last 20 years

We also had one manager who went for an interview for the England job and another who seemingly was offered the job but turned it down as he’d agreed to be our manager....

Brighton Sky Blue

Indeed

We are a bit of an odd club with I think only 3 relegations in nearly 70 years and all in the last 20 years

We also had one manager who went for an interview for the England job and another who seemingly was offered the job but turned it down as he’d agreed to be our manager....

I guess that's because most clubs who spend their time treading water in the top flight don't manage it for over 30 years-they either go back down soon or push on. Some highly fortuitous escapes inflated the time span

BornSlippySkyBlue

You can but all managers from 1967 to 2000 could not get promoted or go to Wembley in those competitions
They had different objectives and obstacles which makes comparisons subjective in the extreme. But in response to the thread title, the table I posted demonstrates that regardless of whether keeping us in 1985 div 1 was a greater achievement than winning the checkatrade trophy, Robins is undoubtedly “One of Coventry’s greatest ever managers”. There haven’t been that many really, and only 2 that have ever won 2 promotions. Therefore “One of” the greatest managers. If he does it again even you’d have to admit it.

fernandopartridge

More than successive managers preserving 35 years of top flight football with zero budget?
Not sure the zero budget point is true or not for all of those years anyway, the club in the 70s seemed to be relatively well off. Only after Hill's reign as chair did it become skint coinciding with a big drop off in crowds etc. The post 95 spending was greater than many of our peer clubs, our record transfer fee of £6.5m for Bellamy wasn't beaten by Leicester until 2014.

Grendel

Not sure the zero budget point is true or not for all of those years anyway, the club in the 70s seemed to be relatively well off. Only after Hill's reign as chair did it become skint coinciding with a big drop off in crowds etc. The post 95 spending was greater than many of our peer clubs, our record transfer fee of £6.5m for Bellamy wasn't beaten by Leicester until 2014.

Hill lost the club a fortune with his failed Us experiment and then the all seater debacle. We were always having to trade players to keep going. We made a big signing - Lloyd I think - on the basis we were selling Holmes to Spurs - that collapsed and we were always then struggling financially. The Collier signing and subsequent departure always struck me as odd

Legia Sky Blue

Hill lost the club a fortune with his failed Us experiment and then the all seater debacle. We were always having to trade players to keep going. We made a big signing - Lloyd I think - on the basis we were selling Holmes to Spurs - that collapsed and we were always then struggling financially. The Collier signing and subsequent departure always struck me as odd

It was Willie Carr to Wolves that fell through. Agreed figure was £240,000. We ended up selling him a year or so later for less than half that. That also precipitated the sale of Denis Mortimer. Would have much rather kept Carr & Mortimer than brought in Lloyd. Wasn't the best transfer business we ever did!

CCFC88

We're a long way off achieving this, but has any manager ever taken the same club from the 4th tier to the top tier? I cant think of anyone in the Prem era?

Theres been a few from L1 to Prem, Adkins and Wilder spring to mind. anyone done the whole lot?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I thought Howe did it at Bournemouth, albeit in two spells, but one of the promotions was while he had gone elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread