Mark Robins Interview after training (1 Viewer)

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Just listened to his first interview after taking his first training session, had a few interesting things to say. Said there's still a lot of work to be done, said looking at the relationships the players had on and off the field would be 'interesting'. Also most poignantly stated that he would definitely look to bring some players in, I'm assuming loans, to strengthen specifically the 'centre of the back 4 and some help at left back'.

I know it's very early days but perhaps we could see one or two of the players frozen out under Robins? Perhaps one of the French lads and Reece Brown?

Has anyone else listened to it?

torchomatic

Did he just say "WTF"?

Sky Blues

Just listened to his first interview after taking his first training session, had a few interesting things to say. Said there's still a lot of work to be done, said looking at the relationships the players had on and off the field would be 'interesting'. Also most poignantly stated that he would definitely look to bring some players in, I'm assuming loans, to strengthen specifically the 'centre of the back 4 and some help at left back'.

I know it's very early days but perhaps we could see one or two of the players frozen out under Robins? Perhaps one of the French lads and Reece Brown?

Where was the interview Dimi? Sky Blue Player?

We have, what, 6 centre backs at this club and after one look in training he thinks that area needs strengthening? Doesn't sound like this summer's recruitment panel (/Thorn, depending on the account) did a great job with the 3 they brought in then...

skybluejohn

a lot of work to be done? Dosn't take a genious to work that one out! Now he has recognised that what did he say he was going to do about it?

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Yeah on SBP. I always thought the French lads could be hit or miss, English football is a big culture change from France/Greece and some never manage to adapt. Looking forward to seeing Cameron back in action, thought he came on leaps and bounds towards the end of last season

wal3590

Just watched this... The relationship between players comment was pretty interesting but doesnt really suprise me.. Least he says it how it is, unlike the last few "managers" weve had

Bugsy

any links or uploads to this.... much appreciated thanks

lordsummerisle

Just watched this... The relationship between players comment was pretty interesting but doesnt really suprise me.. Least he says it how it is, unlike the last few "managers" weve had

To be fair the "At least he says it how it is" comment has initially been used to describe every new manager we've had in recent years.

gspotgaz

Very interesting also was his comments about 'the willingness to put in a shift still isn't there'

Usually managers interviews after first training sessions are quite the opposite, instead overly praising the players but Robins was quite harsh in his assessment of the players. And rightfully so.

It's going to be a timely process sorting these lot out.

Evans020

What do you think he's referring to in regards to players relationships..
They do/ don't get on.
Clicky etc?

stupot07

We have 6 (Cameron, wood, edge, malaga, brown and Willis) and 4 players who can play left back (Hussey, Kilbane, Wood and edge), but we lack pace, width and a central midfielder who can dictate play and yet he's worried about the defence?

lordsummerisle

We have 6 (Cameron, wood, edge, malaga, brown and Willis) and 4 players who can play left back (Hussey, Kilbane, Wood and edge), but we lack pace, width and a central midfielder who can dictate play and yet he's worried about the defence?

Maybe in training our defenders have been turned over by the lack of pace, width and a central midfielder who can dictate play?

I'd be worried about that too!

gspotgaz

Did you watch the goals from Tuesday...

And I'd hardly say Wood, Kilbane or Edge would be realistic permanent fixtures at left back. Hussey looks like a destroyed man at the moment.

Sky Blues

We're not going to win games if we keep conceding. And we've used several different combinations of centre back pairings, which suggests Thorn and Shaw were struggling to find one that worked. Just because we've got numbers doesn't mean we're strong in that area. Sounds like Robins wants to build from the back.

hill83

I'm putting this out there and I'm willing to take abuse if I'm wrong, but I think Wood will be frozen out. Mr 50p foot himself.

Gaz

Totally agree with him.
We might have a lot of centre backs, but I'm not confident with them really and Hussey is struggling a bit, so we should have another LB in the squad, Wood and Edge at LB is not ideal IMO.

First things first is sort the defence out and stop shipping these daft goals.

Sky Blue Sheepy

Disgraceful that he sees our players as unwilling to put in a shift. I only play 5-a-side but if 1 player doesn't give his all, we lose, simple as that!

Up North Sky Blue

the communication at the back is non existant, i was pretty much pitch level at Crewe and complete silence, they'll be obvious language problems with the French guys, although Edge can speak good Englaish.

he is alluding to the lack of team spirit which is something Thorn/Shaw always said was strong, obviously bollocks.

and if people think the defense isnt a problem then you need to stop watching football and take up tiddly winks or summit.

Last edited:

gspotgaz

I can't listen in to it, but he seriously says this? Surprised no-one else has picked up on it, thats shocking!!

His words were ''It was an interesting(not good interesting) first session. They've got to show the hunger and desire to play, there's a squad of 32. They have to be willing to put in a shift, it's still not there yet but we'll drive forward. They have to be better than they were today in training.''

Worrying, but not surprising.

The Penguin

This surprised me to, Im not able to listen either, what exactly did he say?

Paraphrasing slightly:

"They've got to show the hunger and desire to play. There's a squad of about 32 players here, they've got to be willing to put a shift in and show it...and it's still not there yet, they've got to be better than they were today, but it's about incremental improvement, today was okay and I think they understand what I'm looking for."

edit: beaten to the punch!

hill83

Hearing that they aren't putting a shift in during training, then we have to watch shit in matches, really really angers me. Bunch of wankers.

The Penguin

Hearing that they aren't putting a shift in during training, then we have to watch shit in matches, really really angers me. Bunch of wankers.

One has to think that this culture has been allowed to ferment for the last few months at least.

Very disappointing (and that's putting it mildly.)

hill83

It sounds as though that's what Shaw was almost saying last week. Not to go on about Thorn again, but this is his doing. Sort them out.

The Penguin

It sounds as though that's what Shaw was almost saying last week. Not to go on about Thorn again, but this is his doing. Sort them out.

Judging by Robins' comments, I think that's the plan, but it will take some time.

The lack of intensity may also explain why, despite a squad of 32 players, he is talking about bringing in players of his own.

gspotgaz

Shaw hasn't done himself any favours and I doubt anyone would care two hoots if he were to leave.

The thing that angered me most about him was the constant same team selection. Appalling management at any level of football, it was criminal that Mcdonald, Fleck and Mcsheffrey were just on the bench twiddling their thumbs whilst Elliot, Kilbane, Barton, Barker (and probably others) jogged around at 50% waiting for the game to be over.

Diehard Si

His words were ''It was an interesting(not good interesting) first session. They've got to show the hunger and desire to play, there's a squad of 32. They have to be willing to put in a shift, it's still not there yet but we'll drive forward. They have to be better than they were today in training.''

Worrying, but not surprising.

Could be a mis-quote in him making 2 diff points, but does sound bad

Users who are viewing this thread