Mark Robins, a manager saying it like it is. (1 Viewer)

hill83

"That was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen in my life. We couldn't pass the ball, we were awful, we gave the ball away. I can be hypercritical, but I'll take the three points because that breeds confidence. It wasn't a great game, but we'll take it."

That's more like it, none of this "the boys tried hard" rubbish.

PUSB

Grendel

"That was one of the worst games of football I have ever seen in my life. We couldn't pass the ball, we were awful, we gave the ball away. I can be hypercritical, but I'll take the three points because that breeds confidence. It wasn't a great game, but we'll take it."

PUSB

Agreed. He was very level headed. No promises other than more hard work.

Tonylinc

The more I hear from Robbins the more I think he is the man to take us forward. I'll be honest; he was not my first choice but I am beginning to think that I was wrong.

Black6Osprey

We were poor but he's clearly not watched City too much as I've certainly seen us play worse than that. Needs to sort centre of defence out as this is now priority for me. Brown and Wood were both awful and not for the first time either. Any half decent team would have punished us today with some of the errors that pair made. Thankfully Oldham were also crap.Its a start though and wins will bring better performances. Its a big week for us and I hope we can try and get a half decent crowd for the next 2 home games.

CovisGod

Agree with all of the above, I'm not really one for this "he's our saviour" bollocks, but I do think he's the man for the job and someone who can turn this rabble into a team

PUSB

RichieGunns

Totally agree, especially with Black6Osprey! I've had enough of seeing Wood and Brown in defence! Robins has got so many options in that position (Malaga, Edj, Cameron etc) yet he persists with these two.

Why? is the question i would like answering. What does he see in them that we don't?

Cause all I see is a pair of bumberling idiots. The Chuckle Brothers would make a better CB pairing than those two!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I am concerned about his team selection, persisting with Brown/Wood partnership and sheff has started all games under him also

Lets be fair to him he can see where we are shite and its up to him to respond to it which he seems able and willing to do.

After previous manager bullshit a breath of fresh air he is to me !!

It was awful this afternoon, but the few seconds of madness when the ball went in makes it worthwhile. But lets not forget how rubbish it/we were.

Grendel

It was awful this afternoon, but the few seconds of madness when the ball went in makes it worthwhile. But lets not forget how rubbish it/we were.

As previously stated however rubbish it was we deserve to get a win. We were better than Carlisle and should have won against Stevenage. Also bury should have been buried by half time so what goes round comes round.

A victory had to come.

skybluegod

Totally agree, especially with Black6Osprey! I've had enough of seeing Wood and Brown in defence! Robins has got so many options in that position (Malaga, Edj, Cameron etc) yet he persists with these two.

Why? is the question i would like answering. What does he see in them that we don't?

Cause all I see is a pair of bumberling idiots. The Chuckle Brothers would make a better CB pairing than those two!

you need to be consistent with the team until you have worked with them in training more and got your ideas across and with him being new he's going to stick with the exp of wood and brown because he's from man u.

Mucca Mad Boys

I am concerned about his team selection, persisting with Brown/Wood partnership and sheff has started all games under him also

Sheff is starting because Fleck still isn't 100% as far as I understand!

cloughie

not defending them, but an answer to your question, he see's them in trainning and if the others are worse who would you pick

the part of his interview that got me was he wants all his players to get knocks during games cuz that means theyve been competing, kinda agree with him

JulianDarbyFTW

The key for me is that in his post-match interview he sounded very pissed off. The fact that we win our first game of the season and he's disappointed says a lot about the guy and the standards he expects, and implies he'll not stand any passengers in the team. I applaud him for that. And league wise he now has a 50% win ratio...

dadgad

About time we had someone at the club who tells it like it is.
Wonder what will happen when Sisu expect him to toe the party line?

SkyblueBazza

The key for me is that in his post-match interview he sounded very pissed off. The fact that we win our first game of the season and he's disappointed says a lot about the guy and the standards he expects, and implies he'll not stand any passengers in the team. I applaud him for that. And league wise he now has a 50% win ratio...

You mean he's already become a dreamer like the rest of us? Win 25% draw 25% would be a welcome improvement!
If he can deliver 50% WIN we'll all be in Skyblue heaven!!!

Grendel

About time we had someone at the club who tells it like it is.
Wonder what will happen when Sisu expect him to toe the party line?

He won't and they won't ask him to. There is the difference.

cloughie

He won't and they won't ask him to. There is the difference.

Hopefully so

that will confirm the change in the sisu attitude towards the club

Yet not forget that they do it not for the love of the Sky Blues but their own interest .... The Ricoh

Paxman II

I liked his after match summary....it was the truth!

I think McSheff is performing OK, doing more than some on here think. The only problem I have is the Brown one. I can only think he is on a loan deal to play? Then cancel the deal, he is a liability, always out of position. As for Wood? When you try to defend with someone who is terrible then your own game suffers. Please put The Edge back in on Tuesday and play Fleck from the start and bring back Cody with 2 up front at home. Surprisingly it sounds like he and Goldie can play together.

wingy

He remarked that they would train at the Ricoh on Monday,and seemed to thank ACL for that .Are the players struggling with Home for some reason?Is it a hint that the rent issue is close to a solution?Do they want to get away from the management down at Ryton? Will Tim and Steve be taking up their Ricoh office space again?It willl be a break from routine for the players no doubt,but maybe he wants to get more familiar with the pllace himself.

SkyBlue_Bear83

He remarked that they would train at the Ricoh on Monday,and seemed to thank ACL for that .Are the players struggling with Home for some reason?Is it a hint that the rent issue is close to a solution?Do they want to get away from the management down at Ryton? Will Tim and Steve be taking up their Ricoh office space again?It willl be a break from routine for the players no doubt,but maybe he wants to get more familiar with the pllace himself.
I think it is just a thing about being more comfortable at the Ricoh an allowing for the players to think of it as there territory, to help us play better

Baginton

Robins was the best of the bunch for me, really glad he got the job and really glad with his performance so far, the centre of defence is a major problem that needs sorting before Tuesday.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Just seen the goal on FL show, firstly very good save by Murphy at one point. Secondly looked a blatant OG to me on the replay, looked as if Mcdonald totally fluffed his header

Brighton Sky Blue

Training in an empty ground will be good practice for next season.

skybluedaze

PUSB

I personally wanted Mark Robins as manager as his honesty is like a breathe of fresh air. Too many managers try dressing things up in the modern game, usually to save their own skin. Robins isn't like that at all. He'll only give credit where it's due and that's the way it should be.

singers_pore

To be fair it's easy for a new manager to "tell it how it is". If he says we are cr@p it just means that "I have inherited a poor team from the previous manager so don't blame me." I will be more impressed if he is still "telling it how it is" in six months time.

Nonleagueherewecome

I mostly like what he says, although I'd question a fair few of his selections (especially at CB) and I'd be picking Cody to start games.

What I'm a bit wary of is the see-saw effect: strict manager comes in (Aidy/Adams/McAllister?), it works for a bit, players get sick of it, effect wears off and we spiral downwards; soft manager comes in (Thorn/Black?), players respond for a bit 'cos it's a more relaxed regime and it makes their job more "fun", then they start taking it too easy and there's no discipline, then a stricter manager comes in to put them back in line for a bit, and then after a while their heads drop because it's too much like hard work, etc..

What's worrying is that players have come and gone yet the cycle remains. Lets hope Robins is the man who breaks the pattern. He certainly seems more astute and less one-dimensional than Aidy "you must play 15 first team games before you allowed to change with the first team" Boothroyd!

SkyBlue_Bear83

I mostly like what he says, although I'd question a fair few of his selections (especially at CB) and I'd be picking Cody to start games.

What I'm a bit wary of is the see-saw effect: strict manager comes in (Aidy/Adams/McAllister?), it works for a bit, players get sick of it, effect wears off and we spiral downwards; soft manager comes in (Thorn/Black?), players respond for a bit 'cos it's a more relaxed regime and it makes their job more "fun", then they start taking it too easy and there's no discipline, then a stricter manager comes in to put them back in line for a bit, and then after a while their heads drop because it's too much like hard work, etc..

What's worrying is that players have come and gone yet the cycle remains. Lets hope Robins is the man who breaks the pattern. He certainly seems more astute and less one-dimensional than Aidy "you must play 15 first team games before you allowed to change with the first team" Boothroyd!
Yea I can sort of understand Mcdonald to an extent as Robins has a system he wants to play and Mcgoldrick is deservedly ahead of Mcdonald at the moment, we could change formation to accommodate both but that is a different issue.

I am also concerned about the CB partnership an that he has picked Sheff for all his games

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Don't know if anyone has been watching "Being: Liverpool" on C5 lately? You don't need to be a Liverpool fan to enjoy it. It just gives a "fly-on-the-wall" insight as to how a manager addresses his team through training and team talks. I thought it was a really good programme and couldn't help but think just how Robins copes with the team during training etc. Funnily enough, Liverpool have had more or less the same start to their season as City have had, with their first league win on Saturday as well.

@richh87

Yeah I've heard that program's really good. I'll have to check it out.

singers_pore's point is a good one; it is easy to tell it like it is at this stage. One thing I do like about Robins though is he seems intelligent and flexible tactically. Also (and this is something that has annoyed us all with previous Managers), he seems to make proactive substitutions.

Nonleagueherewecome

Don't know if anyone has been watching "Being: Liverpool" on C5 lately? You don't need to be a Liverpool fan to enjoy it. It just gives a "fly-on-the-wall" insight as to how a manager addresses his team through training and team talks. I thought it was a really good programme and couldn't help but think just how Robins copes with the team during training etc. Funnily enough, Liverpool have had more or less the same start to their season as City have had, with their first league win on Saturday as well.

Saw the first ep. I couldn't help but thinking that it will be to Rodgers career what the other docs were to Taylor and Reid? Massive OG. Enjoyable viewing, though!

Users who are viewing this thread