Mark Labovitch Sky Sports News interview transcript. (1 Viewer)

covhead1

This evening, non-executive director of Coventry City Football Club, Mark Labovitch was interviewed by Sky Sports News over the club’s decision to release proposed plans for their new stadium today.
Answering questions live in the studio, Labovitch talked about the club’s attempts to purchase their home from 2005 to May this year; The Ricoh Arena, as well as their plans for the stadium they intend to build outside of the jurisdiction of Coventry City Council.
transcript:“It’s absolutely essential for this club, for any other club, to own it’s own stadium to be financially viable in the long term.“We want this club to be financially viable, as well as playing successfully in the long term, so we have to own our own stadium.“We’ve been trying to get the council to sell The Ricoh Arena to the club it was built for at a fair, independent valuation.“There were some encouraging signs, Ann Lucas, the council leader was going to come and meet the club’s owners about a sale.“She then changed her mind on the train coming down. She was not willing to talk about a sale, only a rental deal.“So we have to build our own because we need to get back to Coventry as soon as possible and own our own stadium.“So we have to build our own because we need to get back to Coventry as soon as possible and own our own stadium.“As soon as we are able to confirm [the chosen site] we will do. What we want to do is save time.“We don’t want to stay at Sixfields for a minute longer than we have to, even though they are very good to us there.“What we’re doing is getting as much of the design work done in advance in preparation for planning permission.“There are two local authorities involved, they each want an economical impact assessment done to show the benefit of the stadium.“When the final selection & purchase is done, we will have already hit the ground running.“You could build a new stadium not much further from the city centre or train station from where The Ricoh Arena is.“We’ve got to get back to Coventry as soon as possible. We could sit and wait for the council to get their act together and come to the right decision, but we cannot take that risk. We’ve got to get moving.“Absolutely the finances are in place [to buy The Ricoh.] They don’t want to do that. They don’t want to sell.“There’s a terrible conflict of interest. I think a sale of The Ricoh might bring to light certain financial transactions that they want to keep covered up.“We need to leave that behind and get on with running a football club. That means owning our own stadium.“If we can’t buy the one that’s there, we’ll build a new one.”

NorthernWisdom

Ta for that, I revise my view, nowt worth suing over in there, think some people have overinterpreted some lines that are less volatile than perceived...

Just another statement in a round of statement wars, to probably be filed with all the rest in the bin ;)

ohitsaidwalker king power

This evening, non-executive director of Coventry City Football Club, Mark Labovitch was interviewed by Sky Sports News over the club’s decision to release proposed plans for their new stadium today.
Answering questions live in the studio, Labovitch talked about the club’s attempts to purchase their home from 2005 to May this year; The Ricoh Arena, as well as their plans for the stadium they intend to build outside of the jurisdiction of Coventry City Council.
transcript:“It’s absolutely essential for this club, for any other club, to own it’s own stadium to be financially viable in the long term.“We want this club to be financially viable, as well as playing successfully in the long term, so we have to own our own stadium.“We’ve been trying to get the council to sell The Ricoh Arena to the club it was built for at a fair, independent valuation.“There were some encouraging signs, Ann Lucas, the council leader was going to come and meet the club’s owners about a sale.“She then changed her mind on the train coming down. She was not willing to talk about a sale, only a rental deal.“So we have to build our own because we need to get back to Coventry as soon as possible and own our own stadium.“So we have to build our own because we need to get back to Coventry as soon as possible and own our own stadium.“As soon as we are able to confirm [the chosen site] we will do. What we want to do is save time.“We don’t want to stay at Sixfields for a minute longer than we have to, even though they are very good to us there.“What we’re doing is getting as much of the design work done in advance in preparation for planning permission.“There are two local authorities involved, they each want an economical impact assessment done to show the benefit of the stadium.“When the final selection & purchase is done, we will have already hit the ground running.“You could build a new stadium not much further from the city centre or train station from where The Ricoh Arena is.“We’ve got to get back to Coventry as soon as possible. We could sit and wait for the council to get their act together and come to the right decision, but we cannot take that risk. We’ve got to get moving.“Absolutely the finances are in place [to buy The Ricoh.] They don’t want to do that. They don’t want to sell.“There’s a terrible conflict of interest. I think a sale of The Ricoh might bring to light certain financial transactions that they want to keep covered up.“We need to leave that behind and get on with running a football club. That means owning our own stadium.“If we can’t buy the one that’s there, we’ll build a new one.”

Transcript or interpretation?

skybluetony176

1 question. how do they have the funds in place to buy the ricoh when the "fair, independent valuation" hasn't been done. surely you need to know this 1st to get the finances in place.

I've got the finances in place to buy Buckingham palace then in that case, that's an exclusive you heard here 1st. ;)

Godiva

They don’t want to sell.“There’s a terrible conflict of interest. I think a sale of The Ricoh might bring to light certain financial transactions that they want to keep covered up.“We need to leave that behind and get on with running a football club. That means owning our own stadium.“If we can’t buy the one that’s there, we’ll build a new one.”

Lol - sisu's turn to hint at dodgy book keeping.

tisza

This transcript is incomplete - particularly the end bit which misses out bits about council officials and their behaviour

J

Jack Griffin

Well indeed, I will give them this SISU are masters when it comes to not disclosing financial information.

Spionkop

He's basically accusing the council of malpractice. Probably relating to JR. They can't resist having a pop every time and yet bleat constantly about how squeaky clean and honourable they are. Little wonder there are no talks.
Have SISU made an offer Mr Labovitch? I've heard nothing.
Bastards.

chiefdave

He opens with "It’s absolutely essential for this club, for any other club, to own it’s own stadium to be financially viable in the long term.", a point that's been raised on here many times and been shown to be incorrect, if his first line is a lie why would anyone believe anything that follows?

Godiva

He opens with "It’s absolutely essential for this club, for any other club, to own it’s own stadium to be financially viable in the long term.", a point that's been raised on here many times and been shown to be incorrect, if his first line is a lie why would anyone believe anything that follows?

How can it be a lie? An opinion more likely.

Godiva

OK then, go ahead and explain why it is essential for the club to own the freehold to be financially viable.

He didn't say 'freehold' did he? He said stadium.

Hobo

How long have they been threatening this?
Mr labovitch, wake me up when "we hit the ground running."

When you have bought land, dug out the footings, started erecting girders, wake me up. Then I might be able to assess my commitment to Coventry City FC under Otium stewardship.

In the meantime you could just throw all this development money into purchasing the Ricoh.

We would all be back on track much faster.

Ctidmark

Yet another load of complete bullshit, same old same old. Its like a stuck record!
Dont they get it!! Let me spell it out!!!!!
If you dont return to the Richo, nether will the 12-15,000 that have stayed away from Northampton
#Simples

shmmeee

Yet another load of complete bullshit, same old same old. Its like a stuck record!
Dont they get it!! Let me spell it out!!!!!
If you dont return to the Richo, nether will the 12-15,000 that have stayed away from Northampton
#Simples

They get it. They just don't give a shit.

Users who are viewing this thread