Mark Clattenburg (1 Viewer)

Paxman II

...latest news is he said "shut up Mikel" and the player thought he said "shut up Monkey".

Anyone who truely believes he said the latter must be berift of their senses.

As for a player misunderstanding? Well command of English is certainly an issue and this is the Premier Legaue in England not France, Italy or anywhere else. Be prepared to hear things you may not understand, may consider 'different' to how it is expressed or said in your country and unless you have perfect language skills be careful what you acuse people of.

This whole sordid silly attack on racism in football smacks of self indignation and righteousness.

Can we all just grow some and get on with it? If we pander to footballers anymore like they were a special case they are going to believe they are...

Last edited:

rob9872

"That's fyffes times I've told you that"

Nick

Administrator
Respect the ref has gone out of the window! Why was he telling people to shut up anyway?

As said in another thread, get mics on them like in rugby

wingy

If its a simple mis-understanding ,fine, if its malicious from the players side they should be charged with wasting Police time.

Paxman II

Nick it's understood that when a ref tells you to 'shut it' you are getting out of place and beyond acceptability when remonstating to the ref.
A booking will usually result. Mikel (watch the video) clearly continues abash until the ref intervines to take control. All players know when to shut it even on a parks pitch Sunday morning.

These over paid footballers are begining to believe they are more important than the game. the referee is in charge not the other way round.

scroobiustom

If it did transpire that Clattenburg had racially abused Mikel - do you think Chelsea would accept a fine and a four-match ban?

kg82

Rugby trying to gain popularity by condemning how football players are with referees is laughable I think! It's fair enough, they respect the ref but they should keep their noses out of football's business till such time that they can keep their fingers out their opponents eyes.

Si80

It's not just Rugby though, is it? I played hockey for years and would you talk back to a ref / umpire? No because they'd take you out of the game instantly for backchat towards them. The respect that a hockey player has for an ump is akin to that of a rugby player and their ref. Their is ZERO respect for referees on football pitches imo. Be that Sunday League or Premier League.

If you watched any of the hockey at the Olympics you would have seen that even with the games most elite. The ref's word is final and if you want to push him / her then you're off. Keep on and it's a red with a fine and a long ban.

wingy

There is a simple solution to all of this and thats the proven succesful use of video technology in other sports ,the Refs hav'nt got a chance in the modern game ,the dinosuars that run the game are responsible for the present chaos ,but they think we'd rather have debates like these than see the right results a the end of a game.:(:jerkit::jerkit::mad:

Last edited:

kg82

Kind of my point. I don't care what they do in any other sports. I started watching football for a reason, because it's the greatest game on earth. If the authorities want to sort it out then they have to do it themselves with stricter discipline, not just because other sports come in and say "oh we do it that way or this way or blah blah blah"!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Respect the ref has gone out of the window! Why was he telling people to shut up anyway?

As said in another thread, get mics on them like in rugby

To be fair, 'shut up' would probably support the action of putting his finger to his lips. What word followed is anyones guess. Unfortunaltey he was a bit more descreet than Terry was

Users who are viewing this thread