Marc McNulty (1 Viewer)

Covstu

Fans jumped on his back at the start of the season before he clicked and couldn’t stop scoring. I have no ill will against him, it’s such a short career and you have to believe in your own ability and at that point he was walking on water.
I think there is a lot into that players and managers are the right ‘fit’ for the club. He was certainly one and the gaffer another. They just fit the club and culture but equally if i had a 10 year career I wouldn’t knock the opportunity he got from Reading.

cc84cov

He had a fantastic half a season here, but only thanks to MR sticking with him when many wanted him dropped.
I'd love to know if he regrets walking away when there was a contract offer on the table, and we'd got promoted and the fans loved him.
But I guess the money from Reading was too much to turn down.
He don’t regret it money talks loudly for him

cc84cov

Fans jumped on his back at the start of the season before he clicked and couldn’t stop scoring. I have no ill will against him, it’s such a short career and you have to believe in your own ability and at that point he was walking on water.
I think there is a lot into that players and managers are the right ‘fit’ for the club. He was certainly one and the gaffer another. They just fit the club and culture but equally if i had a 10 year career I wouldn’t knock the opportunity he got from Reading.
Reading made a mistake not taking Biamou with him 👀😁😬

higgs

I hope he doesn't blow all his money on gambling and booze if he has a young family that reading contract could be the ruining of him

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yorkshire SB

Some strange points of view on here. He was getting life changing contracts offered to him, so he left, and helped the clubs make over a million £ on the transfer too.
He could’ve flopped in league one, broke his leg, anything. Plus he probably backed himself to do well at Reading. Don’t blame him at all, it’s the pragmatic, sensible decision.
Hindsight a wonderful thing, and perhaps he would’ve been better staying here, but certainly don’t think he can have any regrets as, in my view at least, he made the right decision.

Grendel

He didn't really start banging them in until after he was out with that horrible stomach bug that meant he lost a bit of timber, the club then bought him back and kept him fit for the rest of the year. During the summer he spent half of his time on the piss then (according to my Reading supporting friend) turned up for Championship pre-season at his new club completely out of shape. I always take the piss out of him that they gave us Hyam for nothing then paid us over a mil for McNulty. McWankty here, over there they call him McNugget.

You really talk some tripe

Astute

How many on here would turn down a massive pay increase especially if their job only lasts a limited amount of years?

He would have been on shorter contracts for less money with us. He had better financial security and the chance of playing at a higher level by moving. Take out it was our club he was playing for then ask the same question if you think he made the wrong move.

bawtryneal

Don`t blame him for taking the money but I do blame him for being unprofessional
He could have "kicked on" his career at Reading and been a good mid championship/top League 1 player and won himself a second good contract.

Liquid Gold

How many on here would turn down a massive pay increase especially if their job only lasts a limited amount of years?

He would have been on shorter contracts for less money with us. He had better financial security and the chance of playing at a higher level by moving. Take out it was our club he was playing for then ask the same question if you think he made the wrong move.
The argument is more, who wouldn't jump at a massive pay cut going from an upstart tech company that is growing 50% per year to go to an established media outlet whose readership is dropping but still has talent on the books.

I know it's not perfect but McNulty backing his talent could be viewed in two ways.

1. He backed himself too much, took the move too early and ended up with 1 decent contract.
2. He backs himself to prove to do it in League 1, develops as a player and either stays here or goes somewhere on an even more lucrative contract and can maintain that income as he's now developed into a good enough player.

There are so many ways to look at it. Stephenson and Thomas moved too soon and are back where they started. Bigi didn't have the talent so was right to get what he could when he could. McNulty could have improved himself with another year and extended that expected payday.

Astute

The argument is more, who wouldn't jump at a massive pay cut going from an upstart tech company that is growing 50% per year to go to an established media outlet whose readership is dropping but still has talent on the books.

I know it's not perfect but McNulty backing his talent could be viewed in two ways.

1. He backed himself too much, took the move too early and ended up with 1 decent contract.
2. He backs himself to prove to do it in League 1, develops as a player and either stays here or goes somewhere on an even more lucrative contract and can maintain that income as he's now developed into a good enough player.

There are so many ways to look at it. Stephenson and Thomas moved too soon and are back where they started. Bigi didn't have the talent so was right to get what he could when he could. McNulty could have improved himself with another year and extended that expected payday.
3, He isn't good enough in Division 3 and ends up back in Division 4 on a Division 4 contract.

So you say Big didn't have the talent so did the right thing but it also looks like McNulty didn't have the talent. So personally looking at it that way he did the right thing.

Goals you scored in Division 4 don't pay you a wage in later life. But get the money you got by taking a bigger contract to work for you and it is a totally different matter.

Liquid Gold

3, He isn't good enough in Division 3 and ends up back in Division 4 on a Division 4 contract.

So you say Big didn't have the talent so did the right thing but it also looks like McNulty didn't have the talent. So personally looking at it that way he did the right thing.

Goals you scored in Division 4 don't pay you a wage in later life. But get the money you got by taking a bigger contract to work for you and it is a totally different matter.
But he said he was backing his talent to do it in Championship, why couldn't he back his ability to do it in L1.

Liquid Gold

Because he got more money going the next level up.
But my whole point was that it ended up just being a one off increase in salary. If he actually backed himself he’d have done it in L1 where he was the main man then developed his ability so the next contract and the one after are worth more as he’s made himself a better player. He’d have also been on more case here.

I’m just using him as an example of why moving for more money in the short term isn’t necessarily the right answer for long term earnings. Would Godden be earning the same now if he spent his development years sat in the U23s and then league 2/national league was his ceiling for example.

Astute

But my whole point was that it ended up just being a one off increase in salary. If he actually backed himself he’d have done it in L1 where he was the main man then developed his ability so the next contract and the one after are worth more as he’s made himself a better player. He’d have also been on more case here.

I’m just using him as an example of why moving for more money in the short term isn’t necessarily the right answer for long term earnings. Would Godden be earning the same now if he spent his development years sat in the U23s and then league 2/national league was his ceiling for example.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. My point is financially he made a good move. It didn't work out well in football terms but he maxed out in earning potential for his level.

Liquid Gold

I don't necessarily disagree with you. My point is financially he made a good move. It didn't work out well in football terms but he maxed out in earning potential for his level.
I'm not disagreeing with you either, he definitely did wonders to his earning for three years, I'm just wondering if by taking a different path if he'd have maxed out his earnings either larger for 5/6 years.

I just don't like the pay rise = impossible to turn down for footballers narrative.

Astute

I'm not disagreeing with you either, he definitely did wonders to his earning for three years, I'm just wondering if by taking a different path if he'd have maxed out his earnings either larger for 5/6 years.

I just don't like the pay rise = impossible to turn down for footballers narrative.
He took the money and it could have worked out well. It didn't.

I did the same many years ago. I took the money over a job I enjoyed. Nearly doubled my pay. I ended up enjoying my new job. A short term contract has lasted about 26 years so far. Sometimes you have to take a gamble and hope for the best.

D

Deleted member 11652

But failing with us was a much bigger risk than failing with Reading. Fail there and clubs will still be after you in league 1 and the spl. If he failed with us in league 1, he’d have earned considerably less money and his only option would be a return to league 2.

1ccfc

He took the offer of playing football at a higher level on more money. It seems like an obvious choice. You could argue that he backed himself in making the move, as had it worked out for him and he scored a load of goals, then the next step would have been the Premier League. Yes he could have stayed, but another factor is players do get long term injuries and their careers can be over. Can't really blame him or expect him to stay.

Liquid Gold

But failing with us was a much bigger risk than failing with Reading. Fail there and clubs will still be after you in league 1 and the spl. If he failed with us in league 1, he’d have earned considerably less money and his only option would be a return to league 2.
Yeah, I get that, but succeed with us in league 1 and he doesn't end up at a basket case club fighting relegation with managers turning over every ten minutes that don't want want him.

It's all hypotheticals obviously, I just don't think it's as simplistic as an offer with more money means you can't turn it down. A lot of players do well dropping leagues and playing regular football and a lot of players fail by jumping at the first move and playing backup in their most important years.

Going back the the George Thomas example. If he was only ever good enough to play L1/L2 then fair play for him to going to Leicester and taking the extra cash while it was there. If he thought he could do better than that then a promotion under his belt with us wouldn't have done him any harm and he could have taken a more sensible move to a Championship club known for developing players.

D

Deleted member 11652

Yeah, I get that, but succeed with us in league 1 and he doesn't end up at a basket case club fighting relegation with managers turning over every ten minutes that don't want want him.

It's all hypotheticals obviously, I just don't think it's as simplistic as an offer with more money means you can't turn it down. A lot of players do well dropping leagues and playing regular football and a lot of players fail by jumping at the first move and playing backup in their most important years.

Going back the the George Thomas example. If he was only ever good enough to play L1/L2 then fair play for him to going to Leicester and taking the extra cash while it was there. If he thought he could do better than that then a promotion under his belt with us wouldn't have done him any harm and he could have taken a more sensible move to a Championship club known for developing players.

No I agree and I think his form would’ve carried into league 1 with us. However, it’s a costs benefit analysis and going to reading was the safest option.

Liquid Gold

No I agree and I think his form would’ve carried into league 1 with us. However, it’s a costs benefit analysis and going to reading was the safest option.
I disagree with this. Just the club he chose and the situation he was moving from, the team was set up for him, he was the main man and the fans loved him. He went to a club where the manager was on borrowed time and the next one wasn't bothered with him. In the mean time we've had another promotion and he's not done much of any note.

It's worked out perfectly for us:
McNulty - Cost £0 - Sold £1.2m - Profit £1.2m
Chaplin - Cost £500k - Sold - £1m - Profit £500k
Godden - Cost £750k

On our three main strikers we've gone from one that fired us to L1 to one that fired us to the Championship and made nearly a million in profit.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I disagree with this. Just the club he chose and the situation he was moving from, the team was set up for him, he was the main man and the fans loved him. He went to a club where the manager was on borrowed time and the next one wasn't bothered with him. In the mean time we've had another promotion and he's not done much of any note.

It's worked out perfectly for us:
McNulty - Cost £0 - Sold £1.2m - Profit £1.2m
Chaplin - Cost £500k - Sold - £1m - Profit £500k
Godden - Cost £750k

On our three main strikers we've gone from one that fired us to L1 to one that fired us to the Championship and made nearly a million in profit.

His contract at Reading takes him to a few months shy of being 30. It’s not like he had loads of time on his side to develop with us and get a few great contracts. He stays with us 2 seasons in league one on a slight pay rise on what he was on in league two and it goes well, he then gets a similar move and the contact takes him to 32. When his contract expires from reading he’ll still get an offer as much if not greater than the one he’d have been offered by us in league one. Therefore his finances are near enough no different in best case scenario of staying with us. I don’t think anyone thought he was going to go to the championship and rip it up and be a big signing for a top championship or premier league team, did they? Equally, he could have done his ACL in league one and never got the move a la Jodi Jones. Really don’t think staying with us over a move to the championship would have been a wise financial decision. If it had been a League One team offering a little more than I’d agree, but his earnings would have multiplied several fold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevefloyd

He's got a young family. The Reading move was probably life changing. If I'd had the chance to make life changing money for my family at that age I'd have taken it.

If it's true he didn't look after himself then that's just unprofessional.
If it is true then its totally idiotic and I don't blame Reading for freezing him out

Mucca Mad Boys

He's got a young family. The Reading move was probably life changing. If I'd had the chance to make life changing money for my family at that age I'd have taken it.

If it's true he didn't look after himself then that's just unprofessional.

I don’t begrudge anyone for looking to earn more. In the short term, he absolutely made the right choice assuming money is everything.

But, money isn’t everything and a 4 year contract isn’t a long period of time, and it’s pretty clear his stock will never be as high as it was when we sold him.

Therefore, from McNulty’s point of view, he could’ve carried on his form in L1 which I believe he could’ve done.

The general rule in sport is that a securing the 2nd big contract sets you up for life. Hence, so many sports players have money issues when they retire.

Liquid Gold

I can’t comment until I’ve heard what his dad has to say unfortunately.

giphy.gif

Mucca Mad Boys

Which is why he moved at the right time.

With hindsight, perhaps. But, his stock would have undoubtedly have risen had he performed well in L1.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some regret that he left us, given our respective trajectories.

NorthernWisdom

With hindsight, perhaps. But, his stock would have undoubtedly have risen had he performed well in L1.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t some regret that he left us, given our respective trajectories.
He hasn't performed well in League One when given the chance after he left us. That would have raised his stock had he been able to and, as said, the decline from Championship still enables teams to take a chance on him at the level he would have been at anyway.

I like McNulty, I thought he could do it at League One level and hadn't had a chance to show it earlier in his career, but all evidence since suggests he... can't.

Therefore, he left when his stock was at its highest.

Liquid Gold

Without wanting to start the same bullshit debate off again I wonder if he'd have struggled with Biamou being out injured for the entire year in our first season back in League One.

fernandopartridge

He hasn't performed well in League One when given the chance after he left us. That would have raised his stock had he been able to and, as said, the decline from Championship still enables teams to take a chance on him at the level he would have been at anyway.

I like McNulty, I thought he could do it at League One level and hadn't had a chance to show it earlier in his career, but all evidence since suggests he... can't.

Therefore, he left when his stock was at its highest.

He can, he scored 7 in 15 in the SPL which is at least equivalent to L1. He didn't do great at Sunderland but who does, I think he had a few injury problems too.

Given a run of games in League 1 he'd outscore Biamou and Baka put together imo.

Users who are viewing this thread