Marc McNulty (2 Viewers)

Evo1883

Not a thread about how we should sign him dont worry,. But I'm a bit sad for him in a way at the direction his career has gone since leaving us,and what could have been with him had he decided to stay here...

57 league games at 3 or 4 clubs 12 goals in the 2 /3 years since leaving us... Can't seem to settle and in general not really pulling up any trees at all...

Surely enjoying you're profession and being happy/settled is equally as important as getting a few quid more, which I'd argue he won't be on at Dundee

Feel like at 28 it's not going to get much better for him,and the worst career decision he ever made, was to leave Coventry city

cc84cov

Not a thread about how we should sign him dont worry,. But I'm a bit sad in a way at the direction his career has gone since leaving us,and what could have been with him had he decided to stay here...

57 league games at 3 or 4 clubs 12 goals in the 2 /3 years since leaving us... Can't seem to settle and in general not really pulling up any trees at all...

Surely enjoying you're profession and being happy/settled is equally as important as getting a few quid more.

Feel like at 28 it's not going to get much better for him,and the worst career decision he ever made, was to leave Coventry city
I’m not sad the way he left fuck him Evo

Evo1883

He is still contracted to Reading, so he is still taking home a decent wage.
True for now, they certainly won't renew

One site has him at 5k, I'd argue he'd be on more than that here had he stayed and if our path carried on the way it did

Last edited:

Evo1883

He likes a drink and a laugh too much, not professional enough to do it above league 2.
This is probably correct and also shows in the stats at clubs he's played at since leaving, but Robins clearly got the best from him and I feel he could have done well that 1st season In league 1 here

higgs

True for now, they certainly won't renew

One site has him at 5k, I'd argue he'd be on more than that here had he stayed and we'd have still gained promotion again
He should have stayed for the sake of his football but he went for the dollars in the end would have been interesting to see how he got on in league 1 I think he would have scored plenty for us

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

History says he’s only scored goals in League 2 so he was absolutely right to take an offer from a Championship club financially.

Yea ofcourse that's correct I just feel that Coventry were a great fit for him, he essentially excelled here beyond his career form shall we say and could probably have done a decent job for us in League 1...

He will end up on less money should for example He sign for Dundee permanently

Liquid Gold

The team was set up perfectly for him so I think he could have done well in league 1 for us and with the power of hindsight looking at where we are now I bet there is part of him that wishes he stayed. He very nearly didn't sign for us and forced himself out at the first opportunity so I don't feel any sympathy for him. Anybody in that Notts County/Playoff final team will always be fondly remembered here though, even Burge.

Last edited:

SBT

If he’d stayed (likely on slightly improved terms) he’d have been pretty average in L1 (as he has been with Sunderland etc), the fans would have griped about him, and we never would have had the Reading money to buy (and then flip) better players like Chaplin.

Instead he left, got a big payday, played a bit of Championship football, and (not that he probably cares much) we got promoted and the fans still love him. Think it worked out pretty well all round tbh.

fernandopartridge

Not a thread about how we should sign him dont worry,. But I'm a bit sad for him in a way at the direction his career has gone since leaving us,and what could have been with him had he decided to stay here...

Surely enjoying you're profession and being happy/settled is equally as important as getting a few quid more, which I'd argue he won't be on at Dundee

Yeah, does feel a bit like that season might be the highlight of his career. Others write him off but I'd have him at the club over Biamou and Baka put together

larry_david

Was my fav player. Broke my heart leaving. It was all set for him to continue to bang them in for us. At first I hoped he'd fail when he left us as I was bitter and angry. But now that's faded and I kinda feel sad that he hasn't replicated, not even in Scotland

Mucca Mad Boys

He is still contracted to Reading, so he is still taking home a decent wage.

Could’ve attracted an even better move he performed as well as he did in L1. He ought to be thinking ‘what if’ he had stayed.

The consolation is, as you mention, a decent wage for 4 years.

Greggs

Could’ve attracted an even better move he performed as well as he did in L1. He ought to be thinking ‘what if’ he had stayed.

The consolation is, as you mention, a decent wage for 4 years.
that he spunked on fish suppers and bets on throw-ins

Reactions: vow

higgs

When he was on fire in the second half of the season for us you could see he was worthy of playing at a higher level if he carried that form into league one with us he would have scored goals. It's a pity he left when he did as he really had an opportunity to become a cult hero here. Sounds like his career is only going one way now

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Liquid Gold

He didn't really start banging them in until after he was out with that horrible stomach bug that meant he lost a bit of timber, the club then bought him back and kept him fit for the rest of the year. During the summer he spent half of his time on the piss then (according to my Reading supporting friend) turned up for Championship pre-season at his new club completely out of shape. I always take the piss out of him that they gave us Hyam for nothing then paid us over a mil for McNulty. McWankty here, over there they call him McNugget.

rob9872

Why are some so bitter about players who leave? It's life they're not fans like us, just a job and who can blame them for wanting to maximise their earnings?

As long as they give their all whilst here that's all we can ask. At his age, with one good contract he could set up his young family for a decent future. Got him for free, helped us get promoted, sold for a profit. No point being bitter or jealous.

Look at JJ, was on the verge of a decent move, hot injured and whilst as fans we have sympathy for him, he's unlikely to ever get a contract at the level McNulty did at Reading.

Fwiw, I wonder in our situation if he's even worth a job now. I imagine most would have had him ahead of Max or Baka given the comments on here and if he's free then MR, might be able to get a tune out of him. In all honesty with our system and Godden and Walker on long term deals, I can't see who will want to come and play for what we'll likely be offering.

Happy_Martian

Why are some so bitter about players who leave? It's life they're not fans like us, just a job and who can blame them for wanting to maximise their earnings?

It's always been said that a players career is short so earnings have to be accumulated quickly. And as such, club loyalty is something that used to happen but there is no place in todays game. There's no argument about players moving on if it improves their career. Fans get annoyed or upset when a player abuses his place to generate a move away. Maddison, noone said anything as the move was last minute and not forced by the player. McNulty, King, Dublin, Boateng and even Stevenson all put the club in a position where they had to release them. And all of these are seen in less than glowing terms by fans.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Yeah, does feel a bit like that season might be the highlight of his career. Others write him off but I'd have him at the club over Biamou and Baka put together
I dunno his record above league 2 is comparable to the above 2

He was great at the time, but has never shown that he’s above that level. He’s probably on triple the other 2 together

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11652

I dunno his record above league 2 is comparable to the above 2

He was great at the time, but has never shown that he’s above that level. He’s probably on triple the other 2 together

In Baka’s last 2 seasons at league 1 he’s scoring in every 2.7 games. At his age I was hoping that might be enough for a league 1 club to take a punt on him.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

In Baka’s last 2 seasons at league 1 he’s scoring in every 2.7 games. At his age I was hoping that might be enough for a league 1 club to take a punt on him.
Baka scored 11 in 54 for us in league one... that’s significantly more than 1/2.7

he’s crap, but Marc McNulty isn’t much better at that level

fatso

He had a fantastic half a season here, but only thanks to MR sticking with him when many wanted him dropped.
I'd love to know if he regrets walking away when there was a contract offer on the table, and we'd got promoted and the fans loved him.
But I guess the money from Reading was too much to turn down.

D

Deleted member 11652

Baka scored 11 in 54 for us in league one... that’s significantly more than 1/2.7

he’s crap, but Marc McNulty isn’t much better at that level

I make it 11 in 2,687 minutes in the last two seasons. That would equate to a goal every 2.7 games if playing 90 minutes per game.

Users who are viewing this thread