Mansfield, Wycombe, Derby (1 Viewer)

EalingSB

While the Brentford performance was better, was yesterday our season-defining result?

The Mansfield draw in L2 and the away win at Wycombe in L1 both showed that we had what it took to kick on in the division.

Yesterday, coupled with perfect results elsewhere, not only pulled two other teams into the relegation battle but was perfectly timed with the Ricoh news looking set to come this week.

With a favourable run-in and the prospect of playing Championship football at home next season, there is a real sense of optimism and a clear(er) path for the club to build for the next 5-10 years.

Maybe I’m over-egging it, but definitely feeling great today and looking forward.

NortonSkyBlue

You can point to the games mentioned as being significant in the context of the seasons and hindsight allows you to do just that.
I never felt that the Derby game was a must win or draw even as there are so many games to go but we may look back on it as being important providing we crack on and get other results.
What surprised me yesterday was how Derby didn't seem up for the game. Or were they just a poor side?

Hutch11

You can point to the games mentioned as being significant in the context of the seasons and hindsight allows you to do just that.
I never felt that the Derby game was a must win or draw even as there are so many games to go but we may look back on it as being important providing we crack on and get other results.
What surprised me yesterday was how Derby didn't seem up for the game. Or were they just a poor side?
They're very poor

Sky Blue Harry H

Yes is suppose it could be, the right result at the right time... A win at rotherham would for me take us pretty much out of the relegation picture, especially with other teams fixtures.

Agree - think Rotherham see it as a must win for them (which it may well be), but with our result yesterday, it doesn't become quite as crucial to us. If we avoid defeat then I will be fairly confident we will be safe. Blues not winning (against an inconsistent Bristol City side) would be just as big a result.

Hutch11

I agree all those games have or will prove to be very significant
The most significant thing to happen though was the return of MR
I honestly can't see how any other manager that was realistically available at the time of his appointment would or could have done any better

Saddlebrains

I posted on twitter that i can see us being undefeated until the international break. 2 wins and a draw from the next 3 games, which is easily doable, would see us on 45, and very close to being able to plan for next season

standupforcity

We put them on the back foot from the start and they never recovered from that...

Sick Boy

Yes is suppose it could be, the right result at the right time... A win at rotherham would for me take us pretty much out of the relegation picture, especially with other teams fixtures.
Knowing us we’d probably beat Rotherham and then lose to Wycombe.

It’sabatch87

Agree - think Rotherham see it as a must win for them (which it may well be), but with our result yesterday, it doesn't become quite as crucial to us. If we avoid defeat then I will be fairly confident we will be safe. Blues not winning (against an inconsistent Bristol City side) would be just as big a result.
Birmingham are a bogey side for Bristol city so expect a blues win next week.

skybluesam66

reading the Derby forums, they set up to win 1-0 from a set play
The early goal and our good defending put paid to that

Magwitch1

Every team is a bogey side for Bristol at the moment

cc84cov

Yesterday’s win will probably be looked at as the turning point if we go on to stay up

Speedies_Chips

Haha I’m only joking. I think we will be fine now. Draw at Rotherham and we should be ok. Beat them and I think it’s all but sealed.
A bit too early to be saying that I think. There will still be 10 games left (more for others). A lot of points still available for everybody. Thinks can look different even in the space of 3 games. I certainly don’t think winning at Rotherham makes us safe.

Voice_of_Reason

I think Rotherham will stay up and that Huddersfield will go down along with Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe. Huddersfield have some tough fixtures coming up against top teams. If we get more points than Huddersfield over the remaining fixtures, we'll be safe. Our target should be to better Huddersfield's results.

Terry Gibson's perm

I think Rotherham will stay up and that Huddersfield will go down along with Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe. Huddersfield have some tough fixtures coming up against top teams. If we get more points than Huddersfield over the remaining fixtures, we'll be safe. Our target should be to better Huddersfield's results.

Huddersfield looked poor on Friday night, the goalie looked a very weak link

ceetee

I'm thinking the same

Rotheram's goal difference troubles me. It looks out of place and suggests they may be in a false position.

Mcbean

Considering Rooney made 6 changes as he had rested some they were poor - need Barnsley to do us a favour on Wednesday - no reason to see that they won’t

Johnnythespider

Have we had back to back wins yet ? I can't recall it if we have, that will be my turning point, hopefully next Saturday will be it.

Paxman II

Not sure there is a 'favourable run in' of games for us. They will all be hard. Rotherham are going to be our most difficult opponents of the season tbf. they will kick hell out of us and do anything to get a result. Some other games Bournemouth and barnsley both going for playoffs and in form. QPR away not looking great. Nope nothing easy. First thing to do is not lose at Rotherham.

fatso

We all know that yesterdays result was massive, but above all it gives us a chance to put a run of two or three wins together, which is something that's not looked like happening at all this season, and it's good to see Derby and Forest getting pulled back into the mix!
Other teams are also having injury problems now, and we appear to be getting over ours now. (🤞)

EalingSB

Not sure there is a 'favourable run in' of games for us. They will all be hard. Rotherham are going to be our most difficult opponents of the season tbf. they will kick hell out of us and do anything to get a result. Some other games Bournemouth and barnsley both going for playoffs and in form. QPR away not looking great. Nope nothing easy. First thing to do is not lose at Rotherham.
No fixtures are easy but our form and results earlier in the season against the teams we are going to face does suggest that this is a favourable run of opponents; however we all know we could lose to Wycombe and beat Bournemouth! In short, I’d rather be in the position we are in with the games we have to come than the majority of the others around us.

Users who are viewing this thread