Manager Next Season (1 Viewer)

mark82

Assuming Thorns contract expires, who do you think may take the helm as manager next year for a promotion push. I would like to see one of Lee Carsley or Clive Platt. If we could afford him the obvious choice would be Lee Clark for his league 1 experience.

banbury_skyblue

Clive Platt! No chance. Lee Clark would be ideal candidate but I doubt we will be able to afford wages or offer any real prospect of success. Carsley therefore is the front runner in my eyes.

TommyAtkins

Assuming Thorns contract expires, who do you think may take the helm as manager next year for a promotion push. I would like to see one of Lee Carsley or Clive Platt. If we could afford him the obvious choice would be Lee Clark for his league 1 experience.

SISU didn't do anything to AT, other than task him to manage a football club with no resources. Which is fair enough when the club doesn't have any money.

Plenty of other managers cope with no resouces. I don't know why we expect CCFC or a CCFC manager to be special in some way.

We won't be an attractive option for any potential new manager.

Bobby Gould might be the only applicant

stupot07

SISU didn't do anything to AT, other than task him to manage a football club with no resources. Which is fair enough when the club doesn't have any money.

Plenty of other managers cope with no resouces. I don't know why we expect CCFC or a CCFC manager to be special in some way.

We won't be an attractive option for any potential new manager.

Bobby Gould might be the only applicant

I agree to an extent tommy, but the fact remains we have brought in less players both permanent and loans than any other team in the league.

IMO gould has been out of the game too long.

Nonleagueherewecome

Greg Abbott if it means we keep his old mucker Keogh. Paul Tisdale if he had just a bit of budget. It won't really matter if we still have these owners, though!

kg82

Lee Clark spent a lot of money in League 1 standards to get his team to where it was. If Thorn's contract isn't renewed then I would think it has to be Carsley - with these owners.

If sisu still here it will just be whoever is cheapest as all they want to do is cut costs. Depends how much thorns comments last week have upset sisu. Either be him or Carsley no other candidates imo

Nick

Administrator
Carsley could just turn out as another Thorne situation though, what makes people think he would do much better? Don't get me wrong he may well do a lot better or might also do worse.

kingharvest

I don't get this fascination with Lee Clarke. He spent more money in league 1 than anyone else has done for ages. Ok he went on that massive unbeaten run which is a great achievement, but he never got them promoted, and considering he spent money and never got em up - why do people think that if he came into a club with no money he'd fair any better?

I think if Thorn goes, there are MUCH better options than Lee Clarke.

skybluesam66

thorns contract does not need to be renewed - it is a rolling contract, ie at any point in time, he still has a 12 month contract left . It is a case of whether they keep him, sack him or move him back to scout

If they do not want to keep him, it would still make sense to give him his 12 month notice, and in the meantime retain him as scout

Totally agree Nick, this summer is so important to the future of our club it needs to be done properly with a manager who has time, a proper budget and support. We need sisu out ASAP

Otis

Carsley could just turn out as another Thorne situation though, what makes people think he would do much better? Don't get me wrong he may well do a lot better or might also do worse.

You think he might do worse than relegate us, Nick?

:thinking about:

PhilWasn'tBabb

Putting aside the issue of where he is any good or not, there is no way Lee Clark would come to us. At Huddersfield he has a bit of money to spend and the support of the board. SISU would have sold Rhodes in a heart beat.

SkyBlue_Bear83

If the current owners/board remain it won't matter as they will employ someone inexperienced or just simply shit and give them no backing. If we get owners with a bit of ambition there are plenty of good options out there.

Otis

I really don't understand the clamour for Carsley......

It's the clamour of knowing that the odds are that we will recruit from within. That means Carsley, Rioch, Oggy or Sky Blue Sam.

Hardly a wide ranging choice now is it!

PVA

I think it'll be Thorn.

If not, i'd like to see Sean O'Driscoll or Mark Robins, with Carsley as assistant.

TommyAtkins

If the current owners/board remain it won't matter as they will employ someone inexperienced or just simply shit and give them no backing. If we get owners with a bit of ambition there are plenty of good options out there.

I think by "ambition" you mean money to spend. I suspec that any new owner won't be allowed to spend money until the club gets it spending under control.

A new owner will have to cut costs in the same way as SISU.

LastGarrison

It's the clamour of knowing that the odds are that we will recruit from within. That means Carsley, Rioch, Oggy or Sky Blue Sam.

Hardly a wide ranging choice now is it!

Why not stick with Thorn then? At least he has now had a years experience under his belt. Learn from his mistakes and all that.

If Thorn goes are you telling me that there isn't a lower league manager out there with plenty of experience that isn't on a smaller wage than Thorn who would find managing a club like us attractive?

TommyAtkins

Why not stick with Thorn then? At least he has now had a years experience under his belt. Learn from his mistakes and all that.

If Thorn goes are you telling me that there isn't a lower league manager out there with plenty of experience that isn't on a smaller wage than Thorn who would find managing a club like us attractive?

I think there are very few managers who would find this club attractive.

Bear in mind, we are losing money, don't own our own stadium and will have to cut costs next year - irrespective of owners. Dont forget some players will want to leave and attendances will fall.

Our expectation levels will be too high. Too many fans expect/think we will be/should be challenging for promotion.

We are a poisoned chalice. Again. Who is going to risk their reputation on us?

Bobby Gould is probably the only experienced manager out there who would apply.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think by "ambition" you mean money to spend. I suspec that any new owner won't be allowed to spend money until the club gets it spending under control.

A new owner will have to cut costs in the same way as SISU.
Not really, SISU could have still shown ambition to stay in the league and cut costs at the same time imo.
Yea we do need to get our finance in order but the way SISU have gone about it is dreadful.

We have went into the last 2 games with around 7/8 senior players and only have about 10/11 senior players in the squad, that is radical by anyone's measurement.

LastGarrison

So why the hell would Carsley want this to be his first venture into football management?

Anyway, from a personal point of view I am sure there are some lower league managers who would relish the challenge of being at a big(ger) club.

I know next to fuck all about lower league football but the first club and manager I googled were Crewe, chap called Steve Davis had a few lower league jobs, seems to have done alright recently and is a Brummie to boot. You're telling me someone like him wouldn't be interested in the Cov job?

Also, some may see it as a poisoned challice but others may see it as a no lose situation. Everyone knows what shit we're in, have no money etc. so it's hardly going to damage their career if they do fuck all with fuck all is it?

I don't know the answer but I do know that on boards like these Thorn has been slagged off for making mistakes as a new manager and how we needed someone with more experience but now all of a sudden everyone wants to give Carsley the job who has no managerial experience at all.

CovLis86

Stick with Thorn, if not, roll the dice for Tisdale. Save him from the turmoil at Exeter, he could be a great manager in the future.

TommyAtkins

Not really, SISU could have still shown ambition to stay in the league and cut costs at the same time imo.
Yea we do need to get our finance in order but the way SISU have gone about it is dreadful.

We have went into the last 2 games with around 7/8 senior players and only have about 10/11 senior players in the squad, that is radical by anyone's measurement.

Radical it is. But what was the alternative. Spending more borrowed money?

Users who are viewing this thread