Man Utd / De Gea (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Not too sure why people are saying the goal shouldn't have stood.

De Gea should have got up, if you stop the game as soon as the goalie goes down every time then it will be exploited.

Play to the whistle.

Otis

Yup. Ref was going to blow, but didn't, so the goal had to stand.

Why he didn't, I have no idea.

Nick

Administrator
What would he stop the game for though? De Gea wasn't fouled or actually injured.

Otis

I know, but they do sometimes don't they when they see a player down.

But then that begs the question, why WAS he starting to put the whistle to his lips?

no_loyalty

The referee should only stop the game for a head injury (or an extraordinary event like a cardiac arrest) it was just unfortunate that it was the goalkeeper in this instance. I do remember however when Di Canio was playing for West Ham, Tim Howard (I think) went down injured and Di Canio sportingly stopped play instead of putting the ball into the empty net, obviously last night’s incident was a lot different.

Skybluefaz

I'm sure I remember an Ian Wright goal where he was played onside by someone who was down injured way behind the defensive line which was a bit controversial at the time

Terry Gibson's perm

I would hope our players would put it in the net every time, as much as he put a little hobble on there was nothing wrong. Goalies are overprotected already and are the worst culprits for time wasting

jimmyhillsfanclub

Remember when goalies were the tough guys>....can you imagine Oggy, Pat Jennings or Peter Schmeichel rolling around like a baby cos someone trod on his toe.....

...fair enough if it was a piece of Lego on a dark landing at 2am mind......that'd bring tears to Tyson Furys eyes

olderskyblue

I wonder what Ferguson’s reaction to de gea would have been?

to go down, facing away from play, when you’re the last man is really stupid.

I still think he thought it was a foul so tried to milk it. Didn’t realise it was his own team mate.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm sure I remember an Ian Wright goal where he was played onside by someone who was down injured way behind the defensive line which was a bit controversial at the time

It's exactly that situation that riles me about the current offside laws and 'active'.

If a defender clearly not involved and down injured can play an attacker on how on earth can an attacker running towards the opposition goal be considered inactive just cos they don't touch the ball? Their position will affect where a defender positions themselves, so they're alway s affecting play whether they recieve the ball or not.

no_loyalty

What happened to him

Fred trod on his foot while defending a corner, he went down in a heap on the goal line (facing away from play) and Smith Rowe fired in from the edge of the box.

Jagmannn

The referee should only stop the game for a head injury (or an extraordinary event like a cardiac arrest) it was just unfortunate that it was the goalkeeper in this instance. I do remember however when Di Canio was playing for West Ham, Tim Howard (I think) went down injured and Di Canio sportingly stopped play instead of putting the ball into the empty net, obviously last night’s incident was a lot different.

Arsenal don't do anybody any favours...they have history ..even this season with a throw in that they should have sent back ..they went on to Score

Sky Blue Pete

Arsenal don't do anybody any favours...they have history ..even this season with a throw in that they should have sent back ..they went on to Score
Some of our fans would love us to be that kind of team / club. I’d prefer to be a bit fairer

Sky Blue Pete

Not really, goalie shouldnt take a dive while play is ongoing.
Yep but you seek to avoid those lose lose situations as a ref. If the ref blows immediately as he thinks it was a serious injury maybe play stops and we don’t know if arsenal score. Fa look and say de gea was feigning injury and suspend him for 2 games

stay_up_skyblues

Yep but you seek to avoid those lose lose situations as a ref. If the ref blows immediately as he thinks it was a serious injury maybe play stops and we don’t know if arsenal score. Fa look and say de gea was feigning injury and suspend him for 2 games

Its a nice idea Pete but wont ever happen. Feigning injury is more accepted than ever this season in the Prem. The newish tactic of players going down anywhere on the pitch with cramp when they’re winning and their teammates holding their legs up is embarrassing. Can’t remember who it was but a keeper did it the other day, a fucking keeper with cramp 🙄

Frostie

Ref did exactly the right thing, knowing VAR was there to actually make the decision.

Can't ban De Gea either way as there's clear contact & I'm sure it was painful but he gambled, trying to exaggerate it rather than playing on hoping that the ref would indeed stop the game. Foolish.

Users who are viewing this thread