Majority of Cov fans have no passion or fight... (1 Viewer)

CUS Wyken

They are a club with a long history. I think theyve won the Cup at least twice and were division one champs a couple of times too. That's history.

They won the league and Cup the 1920’s nearly a century ago. Since then nothing.

If you want to be pedantic then carry-on. But if you really feel the need to say Huddersfield are more of a draw then us then sorry but i feel your wrong and shows you how far we’ve sunk in recent years eh..

wingy

Where did I slag him off? I was comparing our owned strikers in reply to us having a stronger squad than the
HHe was just asking the question in generalnick ,the answer to the question is if you were sisu who would you rather own.

Grendel

They are a club with a long history. I think theyve won the Cup at least twice and were division one champs a couple of times too. That's history.

Very long history - League champions 3 times -- 85 years ago.

Nick

Administrator
Where did I slag him off? I was comparing our owned strikers in reply to us having a stronger squad than the
HHe was just asking the question in generalnick ,the answer to the question is if you were sisu who would you rather own.

It depends, Coventry would be cheaper as Hudds own the ground so would make money from tickets, food etc so from a business point of view literally just buying the club then I would buy Hudds (If it was purely business) as it would make me more money.

Paxman II

Huddersfield? Small town club with small town ambitions in this modern era of football.
Back in the day towns up north as they say relied on the working classes and fervour of local rivalry.
Today it's very different. Towns are different. Cities the size of Coventry have long since left the exploits of small town clubs behind.
Always there are some exceptions like Wigan now for example but generally their sustainable ambition would be far less than what Coventry would have and for that matter expect. That's the reason we all take our current problems so strongly to heart.
34 years in the top flight I think I may recall Huddersfield being there once in that time? Cracking 'little' club though at the moment!

brinner

It is and the worrying thing is that people could finally wake up to it when it's too late!

Although I took the piss out of Jan and his mob for the tangent SOC took, I was fully behind them regarding the original protest and the awareness they brought. I actually thought that it would gather momentum and might just have a bearing on forcing SISU's hand.

Unfortunately, as per usual it appears to have turned into a damp squib.
there is going to be another meeting at Hen Lane club this thursday from half 7 you should come along.

Yes momentum has been lost due to the way a few in the group wanted to go re meeting sisu etc rather than protesting against them which was the whole reason SOC was formed in the 1st place. but were going to get back to basics thursday night and get back to what we wanted to originally which is to be an irritant to sisu and start some protests going again.

We were getting some really good publicity at the time Gaz had managed to get in touch with the national press and got the stories in the Mirror and Mail, he also got ITVs intrest with the TV cameras and I managed to get late kick off involved and sisus name was being dragged through the mud in the press but that all stopped when the "aim" of the group changed but were going to get back to basics thursday night and get back to what we wanted to originally which is to be an irritant to sisu and start some protests going again.

might be planning another visit to sisu hq again in the near future but could do with a fair few of us going down this time to really make some noise.

The Reading back the boys day has gone well, Gaz has 4 coaches filled for that and will be hoping to do the same again in the future.

Hope to see a few of you up Hen Lane Thursday night. :D

SISU OUT!!!

Nonleagueherewecome

Huddersfield? Small town club with small town ambitions in this modern era of football.
Back in the day towns up north as they say relied on the working classes and fervour of local rivalry.
Today it's very different. Towns are different. Cities the size of Coventry have long since left the exploits of small town clubs behind.
Always there are some exceptions like Wigan now for example but generally their sustainable ambition would be far less than what Coventry would have and for that matter expect. That's the reason we all take our current problems so strongly to heart.
34 years in the top flight I think I may recall Huddersfield being there once in that time? Cracking 'little' club though at the moment!

Two things: firstly, that "small town mentality" can easily be attached to CCFC these days, sadly. Secondly-I was just about to say "what about Wigan?" The Huddersfield chairman is a fair comparison to Whelan, only Huddersfield are a bigger club with stronger support, history and potential. Certainly a bigger draw than us at the moment, and if I had to bet on it I'd say they'll see top flight football before us. They are uncannily similar to Wigan and Reading before they reached our division, and I expect them to kick-on in a similar fashion. They have ambition, and once they get up, it will make sustaining it much easier. Otherwise Wigan would have come down as soon as they went up, and they've stuck around for a while now.

And I'm sorry Rev, if Huddersfield don't make it up, we'll see just who the stronger side is! They'd be favourites for promotion still, we'll be The New Scunthorpe.

torchomatic

And? And history is what? Stuff that happened a long time ago. :thinking about:

Very long history - League champions 3 times -- 85 years ago.

The fans of this club have a lot to answer for. I’ve been saying since Millwall Away that Thorn is not the right man for the job. I’ve been ridiculed on here on plenty of occasions. Now more are starting to realise but it’s too late, damage is done.

When we went Millwall Away. 15 Cov fans went to SISU headquarters. Many thought that could be a start of SISU out campaign and getting more publicity through the media to drum up support. 2 months later, a protest was arranged and only 300 make the effort before and none after.

Where’s the passion and fight gone?

I remember after Grimsby in 2001 when fans ran on the pitch and managed to get rid of Strachan 2 days later.

Days at Highfield Road were more passionate. Now at the Ricoh it seems more Prawn Sandwich brigade who doesn’t care. Only exception was Derby.

The majority of fans have sat back and watched the demise without doing anything. Shame.

:facepalm: Here we go again. If we do not agree with the protests then we are "lacking passion" or we are in someway lesser fans etc etc yawn etc....

Well message for you - I am (and we are) just as passionate about our club. We just do not share your opinion.:censored:

torchomatic

I'm not being pedantic. You said "How do they have more history then us? " and I pointed out that they'd won loads in the past, so they do have a pretty rich history compared to us. They are also "on the up" while we are not.

Apologies, probably not showing enough of your "passion".

They won the league and Cup the 1920’s nearly a century ago. Since then nothing

If you want to be pedantic then carry-on. But if you really feel the need to say Huddersfield are more of a draw then us then sorry but i feel your wrong and shows you how far we’ve sunk in recent years eh..

CUS Wyken

:facepalm: Here we go again. If we do not agree with the protests then we are "lacking passion" or we are in someway lesser fans etc etc yawn etc....

Well message for you - I am (and we are) just as passionate about our club. We just do not share your opinion.:censored:

Where did I say you were lesser??????

Youve said that? I just feel the passion is not there. The atmosphere is poor and the general feeling especially from this thread that many can't be arsed now. Says it all.

And torch... If you feel something that happened 90 years ago is relevant then Jesus Christ your clutching at straws. The last time they won a major cup Hitler hadn't even invaded Poland...

torchomatic

You said they didn't have a history. I pointed they have. You pointed out we were in the top flight for 30 years, a stint which ended a decade ago. So that's just a irrelevant as to our current position now.

And torch... If you feel something that happened 90 years ago is relevant then Jesus Christ your clutching at straws. The last time they won a major cup Hitler hadn't even invaded Poland...

CUS Wyken

You said they didn't have a history. I pointed they have. You pointed out we were in the top flight for 30 years, a stint which ended a decade ago. So that's just a irrelevant as to our current position now.

Decade is closer to 90 years... When was the last time we played Huddersfield in a league match?? Over 30 years ago. Says it all to me.

Crawley away next season and they'll be
Favourites. That's how bad we've got.

torchomatic

Yep, that is how bad it's got.

If you label Coventry fans as apathetic or 'prawn sandwich brigade', then you are going to put people's noses out of joint. The issue about whether fans want Thorn sacked at the present time with no viable alternative is a side issue... just because you do, does not demonstrate that you have more fight than any other fan. The issue about the Ricoh lacking the atmosphere of Highfield Road is something of a side issue too... there are plenty of reasons for the decline. The long and short of it is that Coventry fans are generally down on their Club. Some are resigned to relegation. Some sing, some don't. Some protest, some don't. Some want Thorn out, some don't. If you appear to play the 'I'm a better fan than you' card on a football forum, comprised of mainly season ticket holders and faraway fans, you will put people's backs out (not your intention or concern, I know).

The atmosphere is poor at the Ricoh because of the slump in fortunes of Coventry City. Does it mean that you inject more passion or volume than any of us? Maybe you do, maybe you don't. Painting your fellow fans as quiet, limp mugs does your point (such as it is) no favours. And, no, that is not a direct quote, scroll up and take a look at some of your comments before picking that up and running with it. We're all frustrated, maybe you could try to take that on board instead of adding to it by calling the majority of people on here 'passion-less'.

Last edited:

Henchman66

Who's not passionate you fool , police and stewards lift you for breathing and I've already got a record as long as my sleeve and I don't want a ban ,as I love my club. And we don't all agree with the protests.CITY TILL I DIE

CUS Wyken

Highfield road you had the east stand singing, the M&B singing and the west terrace. 3 stands all singing. At ricoh we have the naughty corner and occasionally the telegraph stand. The two side stands where most fans sit is silent.

The passion has gone. Plain and simple. When was the last time you left the Ricoh when you think that atmosphere was great?

Also the 400 who made blackpool trip made plenty of noise. We always do away because the fans who go away always make there support known.

CUS Wyken

Who's not passionate you fool , police and stewards lift you for breathing and I've already got a record as long as my sleeve and I don't want a ban ,as I love my club. And we don't all agree with the protests.CITY TILL I DIE

Calling me a fool...!!!! So what have I said that's not true. The Ricoh is soulless. No atmosphere at all.

What have you said that's not true?

‘The fans of this club have a lot to answer for’
‘Sunday league manager’
‘the fans deserve it’
‘travelling to Crawley next season as underdogs’

I would take your point, but as soon as you were asked what YOU were going to do about it, you said 'I'd like to see mass protests... but it's not going to happen, is it' (or something along those lines). Don't give up, show a little passion..!

CUS Wyken

What have you said that's not true?

‘The fans of this club have a lot to answer for’
‘Sunday league manager’
‘the fans deserve it’
‘travelling to Crawley next season as underdogs’

I would take your point, but as soon as you were asked what YOU were going to do about it, you said 'I'd like to see mass protests... but it's not going to happen, is it' (or something along those lines). Don't give up, show a little passion..!

The fans have got a lot to answer for. Everyone slates SISU yet when something is organsied only 300 turn up.

Thorn tactics are terrible as is his subsistutions. He never pro active in his changes during the game

The fans sit back and allow sisu to take the piss and were bottom of the league yet still stick by a manager who gives me little confidence in getting us out of this predicament.

Next season when we play Crawley away. The bookies will price Crawley up as favourites.

Ok, I'll do a little editing for you...

'in my opinion, the fans (bar the 300 at the recent protest) have a lot to answer for'

'Thorn could probably manage on days of the week other than Sunday, but I don't think he is much cop'

I still can't do anything with 'the fans deserve it' comment.

'I would guess that, as things stand, Crawley would be favourites in their home fixture against us'

Why do you say that? The financial fair play rules are being introduced now and I think we have a good chance of being one of the only self sustainable clubs in the football league. This should hold us in good stead when other clubs are having firesales and slashing the wage bill.

You say that but at the minute but we are losing money and on a bad squad.
Lets face it clingan, eastwood and cranie are going for sod all there will be less fans and tv money.
Vicious circle i think

CUS Wyken

Ok, I'll do a little editing for you...

'in my opinion, the fans (bar the 300 at the recent protest) have a lot to answer for'

'Thorn could probably manage on days of the week other than Sunday, but I don't think he is much cop'

I still can't do anything with 'the fans deserve it' comment.

'I would guess that, as things stand, Crawley would be favourites in their home fixture against us'
Your more diplomatic then me mate...

cloughie

if Thorn goes and Harrison stays then nothing will change said:
i have said before harrison has to go before anything changes and we will be relegated

cloughie

Hang on a second. A football club is a business, any business owner wants to turn a profit. I don't see a problem with this. One day the Glaziers are going to want their money back from Man Utd and then there will be a meltdown there. Until footballers are payed at a sustainable level, then clubs like ours will be going pop all over the football league. SISU may want to take the cash back that has come out of their pockets and that's fair enough. I think that they may actually care about their investment and may be looking to turn us into a profitable business. They will have a business plan for this guys. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that they can't get any return on their investment if they own a football club that does not own it's ground and plies it's trade in league 1. They may well be dismantling the business to rebuild it and lets be honest, having achieved nothing in the past 40 years this business definitely needs dismantling.

absolute tosh

cloughie

MK Dons are a bigger and more attractive club at the moment, Rev. Robinson is there for the long haul. I wouldn't be surprised if we were one of the Championship clubs Smith said he rejected, instead choosing to go there. They have ambition. We certainly don't under SISU!

this is where others fail to realise why any manager ie MKDONS wouldnt be interested ............ WITH SISU WE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO AMBITION as a football team or club

torchomatic

So when a football club is taken over the new owners have absolutely no interest in making a profit? That is absolute tosh.

absolute tosh

Grendel

So when a football club is taken over the new owners have absolutely no interest in making a profit? That is absolute tosh.

I think the Coventry English Dictionary definition of investment is a substantial donation with no expectation of getting any money back. I am surprised we have not applied for charitable status.

Users who are viewing this thread