Mail Online article - Coventry hit the crossroads in a bid to recapture past glories (1 Viewer)

Peter Griffin

Well written article, I thought.

Posted it here for those who can't click a link!

Coventry hit the crossroads in a bid to recapture past glories

By Neil Moxley
Last updated at 3:43 PM on 30th July 2009

During the close-season, some football clubs find themselves treading an increasingly fine line. That delicate balance between being honest and remaining positive ahead of new season is a devilishly difficult one.

Coventry City are struggling to find that equilibrium at the moment. It is difficult enough being a Sky Blues' supporter at the best of times.

If you were born of a certain generation, all you have known is constant survival battles, either in the First Division, Premier League or Championship. With one notable exception (1987, obviously).

article-0-0657F3B60000044D-489_468x310.jpg
Tough job: Coventry boss Chris Coleman has his work cut out

The only excitement has been one generated by a desperate scrap at the foot of whichever league they have been playing in - not every campaign, but not far from it.

Indeed, during the past 12 seasons I believe that Micky Adams remains unique among Coventry's managers. He is the only one to have earned a top 10 finish. That speaks volumes.
To a certain extent Coventry have been victims during football's financial meltdown.
Bryan Richardson, a charming individual whose ambitious plans for the club have since proved to be flawed, cannot escape censure for saddling the Sky Blues with around £60m of debt when they dropped out of the Premier League on that miserable afternoon at Villa Park.
More from Neil Moxley...

A large chunk of that was re-paid through transfer fees but rather than be allowed to start again from scratch after administration - like Leicester City did when they ran up estimated debts of £74m - Coventry have struggled on.
They have sold or passed over opportunities that are the very lifeblood of any football club, hiving off revenue-generating opportunities like match-day income from catering sales and so on, in a bid to find the money to pay the creditors.

Obviously, some of those were left empty-handed when SISU took control, although the financial details of that particular deal remain known to those involved alone.

But now Ray Ranson is in the awkward position of re-claiming the very essence of the club by buying back the family silver. And it looks like he is using money from transfer funds to do so.

It is painful to see the estimated £6.5m generated transfers simply disappear. It is just as disappointing to see Scott Dann and Danny Fox dash off to further their careers elsewhere.

However, there are two points I'd like to make. First, if it is to the long-term benefit of the club that they have a measure of control over this revenue-generation, it has to be a good thing.
Coventry cannot continue losing money hand over fist as it has done. I believe that the entire turnover of the club was less than near-neighbours Birmingham City received as a parachute payment from Sky last season.

article-0-03C22CDF000005DC-424_468x291.jpg
Glory days: Coventry celebrate winning the 1987 FA Cup final

Secondly, Ranson (and Chris Coleman) have earned the right to bank that money. Both players were bought on chairman's watch. (Furthermore, I believe, they were both bought out due to Ranson's close friendship with Steve Wigley, who is part of the England Under-21 set-up)

However, I also understand the argument that if the money was invested wisely - say four players bought in for £1.25m each (with increased wages to match) - that Coventry's chances of reaching the play-offs would be vastly improved.

But herein lies the difficulty. Do you go for broke? There is no guarantee of success. Or do you act prudently, hoping that in a couple of years' time the club itself can stand on its' own two feet, thereby being able to take more ambitious decisions later?

article-0-027B445D0000044D-615_468x307.jpg
Grand designs: The Ricoh Arena replaced Highfield Road

The past couple of seasons have seen little cheer, apart from the emergence of players like Fox, Dann, Aron Gunnarsson and Kieran Westwood. In fact, the past decade has been fairly miserable.
It's my opinion that a touch more pain today will result in a more stable football club. Look at Southampton, Charlton, Leeds. Even Newcastle. That's the warning from history.

article-0-0055A56800000578-147_306x423.jpg
Ambition: Ray Ranson

If Ranson's end game is to sell on the Sky Blues then he's going to be in a far better position to do it if the club has guaranteed revenue-streams and is on a far more stable financial footing

It doesn't help with the season-ticket sales. It doesn't help deal with the angst many Coventry supporters must be feeling at the moment.

I predicted this time last year that remaining in the Championship has to be seen as success. Coleman has got his work cut out (again) because there isn't a level playing-field in that division.
According to one Norwich City-supporting colleague of mine, Sammy Clingan will be a decent purchase. It was my pal's opinion that the Sky Blues have got him on the cheap. Nevertheless, it will take more than one half-decent capture to propel Coventry upwards.
It's boring and won't sell many season-tickets but what Ranson is doing is surely better than the alternative, isn't it?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...bid-recapture-past-glories.html#ixzz0MySQAjKa

Users who are viewing this thread