Maddison sale (1 Viewer)

better days

Lets say Maddison is sold to Everton for 25m and Norwich negotiate a sell on clause of say 15% above 25m. Do we receive a percentage of Norwich's future income from JM?

Edit. Still cant get my head around 20-25m. Seems like the steal of the season for whomever gets him.

Deals aren't usually set up this way
There is only a percentage of the next sell on price for young players in most transfers
And there may be other payments in case of England call ups, Premier League appearances and so on
The first buying club would add these to any deal when they sold the player on as they'd still be responsible for these payments

Terry Gibson's perm

Talk of Grealish going from Villa for 40m, I don't see a great deal of difference between the two players, I certainly wouldn't say that Grealish is twice as good as Maddison.

I would say Grealish is half as good 40m is madness even in this market he is struggling to be a £10 million footballer

rob9872

Deals aren't usually set up this way
There is only a percentage of the next sell on price for young players in most transfers
And there may be other payments in case of England call ups, Premier League appearances and so on
The first buying club would add these to any deal when they sold the player on as they'd still be responsible for these payments
Whilst I'd normally agree with this, the line that we were fed (and it's not like SISU to tell us lies :)) was that we had an investment in his entire career. I assume the sell on now, means we could miss out on England caps, promotions etc. Be nice to see what the exact deal was and as it would at some point appear on a balance sheet, I don't understand the secrecy still surrounding it.

Esoterica

Whilst I'd normally agree with this, the line that we were fed (and it's not like SISU to tell us lies :)) was that we had an investment in his entire career. I assume the sell on now, means we could miss out on England caps, promotions etc. Be nice to see what the exact deal was and as it would at some point appear on a balance sheet, I don't understand the secrecy still surrounding it.
Knowing SISU, an 'investment in his entire career' probably just means we agreed to the sell on % fee being payable over 15 years. :p

CCFCSteve

I'd imagine Norwich would still be obliged to pay for England caps etc (as Better Days says its likely Norwich would include these obligations as part of the sale)

hopesprings

I'd imagine Norwich would still be obliged to pay for England caps etc (as Better Days says its likely Norwich would include these obligations as part of the sale)
On the subject of caps I saw George Thomas made an appearance for Wales last week first cap I think wonder if we get anything for that ?

Mcbean

Well i think that the most positive thing is that he has got rid of that stupid hair band - people wont think he a girls blouse so get bidding

better days

Sorry I should have made it clearer
All the clauses about England caps. Premier League etc. will still apply
Norwich will have to include them in the contract for the sale to Everton, Leicester or whoever it is that buys Madders

Covstu

Sorry I should have made it clearer
All the clauses about England caps. Premier League etc. will still apply
Norwich will have to include them in the contract for the sale to Everton, Leicester or whoever it is that buys Madders
The £22m quoted seems cheap in this market especially from a club like Everton. I would bet that Norwich would have additional clauses in this deal to cover anything that they would owe us.

Brylowes

The £22m quoted seems cheap in this market especially from a club like Everton. I would bet that Norwich would have additional clauses in this deal to cover anything that they would owe us.
Well yeah, that’s what I was told 22 million + add ons

Specs WT-R75

Well yeah, that’s what I was told 22 million + add ons

Similar to my last question, do we become eligible for a % of the add on as and when they become payable? Eg £3 million for getting into the Champs league, do we get another 15/25% of that? My guess is if the whole package is worth 22m+15m in add ons then we get the same percentage of both?

better days

Similar to my last question, do we become eligible for a % of the add on as and when they become payable? Eg £3 million for getting into the Champs league, do we get another 15/25% of that? My guess is if the whole package is worth 22m+15m in add ons then we get the same percentage of both?
Whatever Chris Anderson said about add-ons will all have to be included in the contract for any sale from Norwich and paid to us as they materialize

Specs WT-R75

Whatever Chris Anderson said about add-ons will all have to be included in the contract for any sale from Norwich and paid to us as they materialize
I understand that, but that is not exactly what I am asking. I understand that if we have a clause that says "500k on premier league debut, and 500k on england debut etc" then those clauses would have to be included in the ongoing transfer. What if Norwich negotiated their own clauses like £2.5m when he makes his England debut". Given that we already get money when that happens, do we get another 15/25% on the additional amount on top that they have negotiated?

It seems logical that we would otherwise Norwich would just sell him for a negligible amount plus clauses like "25m when he makes his Premier League Debut" and if we were not entitled to the percentage of the addon then we (and every selling club) would end up screwed.

So I guess I may have answered my own question here...

better days

I understand that, but that is not exactly what I am asking. I understand that if we have a clause that says "500k on premier league debut, and 500k on england debut etc" then those clauses would have to be included in the ongoing transfer. What if Norwich negotiated their own clauses like £2.5m when he makes his England debut". Given that we already get money when that happens, do we get another 15/25% on the additional amount on top that they have negotiated?

It seems logical that we would otherwise Norwich would just sell him for a negligible amount plus clauses like "25m when he makes his Premier League Debut" and if we were not entitled to the percentage of the addon then we (and every selling club) would end up screwed.

So I guess I may have answered my own question here...
Without actually seeing the contract I can't answer that
I'd assume there will have been legal advice on both sides to cover such things

better days

More the merrier keep knocking that price up a few quid!

Anyone got a definitive answer what the sell on clause is?
Unless someone from the club discloses it we only have what Chris Anderson said at the time to go on
It's likely the club used an agent and a lawyer to draw up the contract so I'll be surprised if the club doesn't do very well out of Madders' resale

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Unless someone from the club discloses it we only have what Chris Anderson said at the time to go on
It's likely the club used an agent and a lawyer to draw up the contract so I'll be surprised if the club doesn't do very well out of Madders' resale

Hopefully the clause hasn’t been sold already like Bales between Southampton & Spurs!

better days

Norwich are determined to get a big price for the goalscoring midfielder who has been the star of their season in the Championship.

Speaking at the time of Maddison ’s sale to Norwich, who were a top flight club but heading for relegation, Anderson claimed the deal could eventually earn upwards of £6m if the player fulfilled all of his potential and the Canaries enjoy success.

JS76351296.jpg

Former Coventry City MD Chris Anderson oversaw the sale of James Maddison to Norwich
Anderson, who revealed there is a sell-on clause, said: “I think it’s important people understand that it’s never just about the cash up front for a player like James who is still developing and who will hopefully follow a trajectory that will be very successful.

“A selling club like us at the moment can stand to make significant amounts of money if James becomes the footballer we think he’s going to become.

JS147211599.jpg

Englan U21's James Maddison shoots during the U21 international friendly match at Molineux, Wolverhampton.
“That’s money that doesn’t just come today; it’s significant money that will keep coming and will contribute to the health of the football club over the medium term because these things are structured to run over three, four, five years, by which time I know James will be an established Premier League footballer.

“So it’s a very comprehensive deal that involves a number of elements. There are certain guaranteed payments and then there are certain contingent payments to do with achievement.

“You can put them into three categories; individual achievements as a player at a certain level and certain things he does from appearances, goals, all that kind of stuff.

JS83985295.jpg

James Maddison in action for his home town club
“There are team achievements so how well the club does in a division, winning trophies or finishing in a certain position and then there are international honours, winning England caps and winning things with England.

“So clubs can be quite creative and structure deals in such a way that you benefit both at the front end and back end.”

Gint11

Just heard from my reliable source Tomato that Maddison is wanted by Fulham. Think it’s odds on he’ll be moving somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sbarcher

Just heard from a reliable source that Barcelona may not be interested.

Otis

And also that Guatemala are not considering him for their international team.

Users who are viewing this thread