Madders has Spoken (1 Viewer)

Gazolba

Just to clarify, it is clearly financially motivated due to this fact... <snip>

And none of us are 'financially motivated' right?

chiefdave

Say for a moment Maddison did ask to leave, Mowbray isn't going to come out and slate him when he has to work with him for the the rest of the season. It would be bad management.

Of course he's not going to slate him but the quote from TM is "James never ever asked to leave this football club"

Seems pretty to the point to me. I know who I'm believing out of Mowbray, Maddision and someone employed by SISU.

letsallsingtogether

Well said Nick - I would be ashamed of any Coventry City Supporter that gives him a hard time!
Just like all the ones that gave Macca a hard time on here and those that booed him on Saturday.
Wankers the lot of them

bringbackrattles

No way. Even if Norwich get relegated, they will have parachute payments that make them considerably richer than us and they will be among the favourites to go back up. In addition, whether we get promoted or not is very much uncertain.
I wonder if Norwich were to get relegated it would affect the transfer money ? Nothing been mentioned about that is there ?

Astute

And none of us are 'financially motivated' right?

I'm not. I could earn 10k or more a year extra easily elsewhere. But I enjoy my job where I work and don't want to have to travel more than 10 minutes to work. There is more to life than money.

SkyblueBazza

Asking to leave and wanting to go is a bit different.
As is TM saying he didn't want him to leave...then probably muttering under his breath...unless we can get what I think his current worth is in the bank with a promise of more if sold on.

AND...who can blame Madders? He naturally wants to play at the next level. That is a possible with us but almost nailed on with Norwich

Thank god he didn't join the Vile though eh?

Seriously hope he becomes a top top world-beater for someone (other than the Vile)

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Brylowes

Couldn't wait to get out of here at the first available transfer window though. Given the fact that there is a possibility that Norwich and CCFC could be in the same league next year this just doesn't make sense. This is where he is caught in a lie - he should have waited until the end of the year to make sure it is a premier league club he is moving to.
If we are in the same league as Norwich next year that is where the similarities will end.Think they will stay up, but if they don't. Norwich will more likely kick off next season as favourites for promotion ,probably still got parachute payments in
the bank from their last relegation never mind this one .

Maddison if he's lucky will be in their 1st team squad,though I doubt the team (Wes Houllihan) will take some shifting next
year whatever league they are in. The season after however he could really progress ,I hope so -I'm starting to calm down.

We on the other hand if we go up,will undoubtably be one of the favourites for relegation,with probably the smallest
budget,somewhat due to our inability to negotiate a deal. We will be completely reliant on loans,freebies and inept
contracted players. So had he still been ours,he would of spearheaded our team in the next campaign,being there's
I doubt he'll make the team in the next campaign.

Unfortunatly Coventry City & Norwich City are now poles apart.

CCFCKirky

Good luck to him, every young player dreams of playing at the highest level. I hope he does put in 100% every game he is with us.

duffer

I'm not. I could earn 10k or more a year extra easily elsewhere. But I enjoy my job where I work and don't want to have to travel more than 10 minutes to work. There is more to life than money.

What if I offered you 10k more a week to work elsewhere? And if your current job (and that offer) could disappear in an instant. (In football you're only one bad tackle, one serious injury from being finished.). Are you sure you wouldn't be a least a tiny bit financially motivated?

I see what you're saying Astute, but the truth as I see it is that it's a little unfair to expect players to turn down these opportunities. There is more to life than money, and I'm not in a dissimilar position to you myself. But if someone offered me the kind of money that JM is likely to have been offered, and I was a young, professional footballer, then I would have gone too.

Loyalty, for fans, is a one-way street imho. When a player is doing well, he's cheered to the rafters and a 'Judas' if he leaves. When a player is doing badly, he's a deadweight and a drain on the club and should be got rid of by any means necessary. 'Twas ever thus.

Grendel

Of course he's not going to slate him but the quote from TM is "James never ever asked to leave this football club"

Seems pretty to the point to me. I know who I'm believing out of Mowbray, Maddision and someone employed by SISU.

Does the rule still apply that a player gets a percentage of the transfer fee if he doesn't formally ask to leave?

Grendel

That could be where cost of living easily eats up that £10,000

Would you move if you were offered £10,000 a week more?

Astute

That could be where cost of living easily eats up that £10,000

Would you move if you were offered £10,000 a week more?

Come up with a realistic offer if you want me to consider it. I am retiring early in 12 years, 2 months and 2 weeks. Happy with my lot. 10k a week extra sounds like an extra 0.5m a year in the bank. But once you take off 40% for tax it makes it a different offer. And do you know that Maddison is getting a 10k a week pay rise?

covmark

What if I offered you 10k more a week to work elsewhere? And if your current job (and that offer) could disappear in an instant. (In football you're only one bad tackle, one serious injury from being finished.). Are you sure you wouldn't be a least a tiny bit financially motivated?

I see what you're saying Astute, but the truth as I see it is that it's a little unfair to expect players to turn down these opportunities. There is more to life than money, and I'm not in a dissimilar position to you myself. But if someone offered me the kind of money that JM is likely to have been offered, and I was a young, professional footballer, then I would have gone too.

Loyalty, for fans, is a one-way street imho. When a player is doing well, he's cheered to the rafters and a 'Judas' if he leaves. When a player is doing badly, he's a deadweight and a drain on the club and should be got rid of by any means necessary. 'Twas ever thus.
Good post.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

CV22SBA

good luck to the lad but very strange decision. If he wants premier league football he should have waited until the end of the season. Personally I don't think he is premiership quality yet anyway. I know Murphy has had a run of poor games but is he any better than him and Norwich have loaned him out for 2 seasons. I really think Norwich will go down so just a bit miffed why he chose to go there.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Just like all the ones that gave Macca a hard time on here and those that booed him on Saturday.
Wankers the lot of them

Don't think you can compare it with mcsheffrey. I would expect fans to applaud Maddison since he's still going to be wearing a CCFC shirt for the remainder of the season, unlike McSheffrey who was playing for the opposition!!

simonregis

At the end of the day what the feck has it to do with any of us? Even if people are motivated by money or power why should they listen to others who don't really give a feck about them. This young lad has the world at his feet and for him he wants to go one step at a time

Nick

Administrator
Wankers the lot of them

McSheffrey doesn't play for us now. I thought the way people go about licking his arse when he plays against us is embarassing. Clapping him scoring FFS.

I wouldn't boo or abuse him, I just wouldn't start getting all excited when he comes on or getting excited when he scores against us.

Wheelfass

I wonder if Norwich were to get relegated it would affect the transfer money ? Nothing been mentioned about that is there ?
Yes I believe it could do.
I hear that there are all sorts of "bolt-ons" that could affect the fee. Besides a initial ammount up front....... If Norwich stay up its 1m more. If we get promoted then it's 1m more. If he scores 10 goals next season its 1m more and the same if he ever plays for England at senior level. This could be why the fee has been described as undisclosed. The information has come to me second hand but the source is from within the club.
I can't say that's it's factual but it makes sense, especially as any forthcoming additional money may get hidden from view......or am I just being cynical.

GaryJones

Yes I believe it could do.
I hear that there are all sorts of "bolt-ons" that could affect the fee. Besides a initial ammount up front....... If Norwich stay up its 1m more. If we get promoted then it's 1m more. If he scores 10 goals next season its 1m more and the same if he ever plays for England at senior level. This could be why the fee has been described as undisclosed. The information has come to me second hand but the source is from within the club.
I can't say that's it's factual but it makes sense, especially as any forthcoming additional money may get hidden from view......or am I just being cynical.

Well if that is true it has put me in a spot - I was kinda hoping that Norwich would get relegated after all this! But if it costs CCFC £1M Im now not sure what I hope they do! Lol

Specs WT-R75

No way. Even if Norwich get relegated, they will have parachute payments that make them considerably richer than us and they will be among the favourites to go back up. In addition, whether we get promoted or not is very much uncertain.

All I am saying is that if we do somehow manage to get promoted then our star players next year are going to have to be earning substantially more than they did this year. I would estimate that it is not beyond the realms of possibility that our best player in the Championship could be earning £500,000 a year. A competitive playing budget next year would be in the region of 8m+. I suspect Maddison would have been happy to stay with us in the Championship at much less than 10kpw.

Selling him at this stage of the season shows a complete lack of ambition given that there is the _possibility_ that we are in the same league as Norwich next year. If we don't go up we can still sell him at the end of the year, and we could still push for the loan back option. Yeah he could get injured, but given there has been a bid of Xm on the table, the insurance payout covers that slim possibility.

I am as aware of the next person that we are, and always will be a selling club. But for once we are told that the club is self sufficient... and then this happens. Like I say it shows a complete lack of ambition and ultimately that is what TM will also see.

H

Huckerby

All I am saying is that if we do somehow manage to get promoted then our star players next year are going to have to be earning substantially more than they did this year. I would estimate that it is not beyond the realms of possibility that our best player in the Championship could be earning £500,000 a year. A competitive playing budget next year would be in the region of 8m+. I suspect Maddison would have been happy to stay with us in the Championship at much less than 10kpw.

Selling him at this stage of the season shows a complete lack of ambition given that there is the _possibility_ that we are in the same league as Norwich next year. If we don't go up we can still sell him at the end of the year, and we could still push for the loan back option. Yeah he could get injured, but given there has been a bid of Xm on the table, the insurance payout covers that slim possibility.

I am as aware of the next person that we are, and always will be a selling club. But for once we are told that the club is self sufficient... and then this happens. Like I say it shows a complete lack of ambition and ultimately that is what TM will also see.
There's the possibility that we're in the same league as Chelsea next year. I'd still have went to them.

Listen the second he dripped in form massively or stopped showing promise we'd be calling for him to be dropped or released. Loyalty is a two way thing. Fair play to him I'd be biting their hand off for the money they're probably offering him

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

skyblue14

According to the bookmakers, Norwich are about 2.0 for relegation and we're 3.5 for promotion, so I make that only a ~14% chance that we'll be playing Norwich next season.

sotv1987

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but as Madders has signed for Norwich, do you think we are still paying him what we were prior to the transfer and Norwich pay the difference or is it possible that City have got him for the remainder of the season at a lower wage or possibly nothing? just thinking if this deal may have freed up some money for TM, other than the transfer fee?? just a thought!

georgehudson

to broker a deal ? = 5%
to manage a deal ? = 5%
to agent a deal ? = 5%
so who brokered, agented, & managed the deal ?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but as Madders has signed for Norwich, do you think we are still paying him what we were prior to the transfer and Norwich pay the difference or is it possible that City have got him for the remainder of the season at a lower wage or possibly nothing? just thinking if this deal may have freed up some money for TM, other than the transfer fee?? just a thought!

He'll have signed for Norwich on a permenant deal so will now be on that wage, just in a CCFC shirt. Be surprised if we are contributing anything towards his wage, especially if they wanted him so desperately, we'd have been in the seat for negotiations in guessing

H

Huckerby

Really good point actually. Might've not only got a fee but also freed up his wages still.

Only thing is I doubt he was on very much tbh. My guess would be £750-£1k per week? Anyone know better than this?

Users who are viewing this thread