Macclesfield (1 Viewer)

CanadianCCFC

Don’t get me wrong, I understand why people are blaming the EFL, Sky Sports and the overall system, there’s definitely blame to be placed there

HOWEVER

I don’t understand why these lower league clubs keep spending well beyond their revenues, and why the results (Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield etc) keep surprising people. Not spending what you don’t have should be a very basic principle for not only football clubs but for all individuals and businesses.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Don’t get me wrong, I understand why people are blaming the EFL, Sky Sports and the overall system, there’s definitely blame to be placed there

HOWEVER

I don’t understand why these lower league clubs keep spending well beyond their revenues, and why the results (Bury, Bolton, Macclesfield etc) keep surprising people. Not spending what you don’t have should be a very basic principle for not only football clubs but for all individuals and businesses.

I agree that it being a surprise mystifies me but the reasoning is partly owners who want the prestige and kudos of sending a team up the leagues (we could argue Derrick Robbins did a similar thing with us under Jimmy) but it's also a damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't scenario.

If one person with deep pockets is making it impossible to compete then you either spend the same to remain competitive or you don't, become uncompetitive and enter a period of decline resulting in fewer fans, less prize/TV money etc. When SISU took over and after they sold those initial purchases like Dann and Fox but replaced them with free transfers we fell away massively and ended up back in massive money troubles anyway.

People say how we run the club more sensibly now, but that's relative to many others. Any other industry and our business plan would be stupid and a recipe for disater because it's still running at a massive loss and negative cashflow that we rely on the owners covering to stay solvent. If they decided to call their debts in right now we're stuffed.

no_loyalty

Macclesfield have been expelled from the National league, some of their fans are looking into setting up a phoenix club.

Users who are viewing this thread