Mabbutts knee (1 Viewer)

Mabbutt's knee or a City player?

• Total voters

SlowerThanPlatt

Interesting question for you all: if you could go back in time now to the 1987 FA Cup final and decide who would score the goal which gave us the cup, would you choose a City player or are you happy to keep it as a Mabbutt own goal? For me the occasion was great but I look back and feel a little dissapointed that it wasn't one of our players who sealed it, to earn true legend status. I would have preferred it if Mabbutt's goal was for 2-2 and Houchen's was for 3-2. What do you think?

Bob Latchford

Killer scored 1 for them so we're evens .

torchomatic

I'd want lloyd to score it himself.

mrtrench

Eighteen plums or 102 raspberries? If you could go back in time and choose either as your 18th birthday present which would it be?

vow

I wouldn't change a thing, we won the cup, thats enough for me!

Samo

I'd like it to have been Lloyd's goal. Or Cyril.

Samo

Eighteen plums or 102 raspberries? If you could go back in time and choose either as your 18th birthday present which would it be?

Mmmm... plums. :D

lifeskyblue

Happy with what we got. Bennett, hoy him, mabbutt (og) ...good enough on 87...good enough now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

Who cares.

The fitting end actually would have been that Gynn converted the chance at the end.

It would have given a truly fine player some celebrity status.

Johnnythespider

I would have preferred it to go in off Mabbut's testicles then somebody could have started a forum called GMT. Seriously not fussed about how we won but would have liked Gynn to have scored at the end as I'd been telling anyone that would listen we were going to win 4-2 in extra time

Hobo

Houchens header was actually the winner in that match. The goal that broke Spurs and gave us belief. lloyd just got in there and made a defender running back play the ball while facing his goal....often resulting in a goal.

wingy

Cyrille's disallowed header would have been nice for 4-2 and as others say Micky Gynnes near the end could have made It 5.:)

oakey

Micky Gynn. He was my favourite player in that era and he fluffed 2 decent openings. Failing that, Regis, who had a perfectly good goal ruled out for a push by Houchen, one that few refs, if any, would penalise today, even if they spotted it.

simonregis

Interesting question for you all: if you could go back in time now to the 1987 FA Cup final and decide who would score the goal which gave us the cup, would you choose a City player or are you happy to keep it as a Mabbutt own goal? For me the occasion was great but I look back and feel a little dissapointed that it wasn't one of our players who sealed it, to earn true legend status. I would have preferred it if Mabbutt's goal was for 2-2 and Houchen's was for 3-2. What do you think?

Are you for real?

I honestly feel you are the saddest person I know (all be it through these sites). The greatest day of many people's lives associated with the club and you can't enjoy the moment. You have to see a negative even in 100% bliss.

Go and support another club this instance as it is fans like you that have dragged us to the abyss we are in now. hahaha

AND I BET YOU ENJOY IT

SlowerThanPlatt

Are you for real?

I honestly feel you are the saddest person I know (all be it through these sites). The greatest day of many people's lives associated with the club and you can't enjoy the moment. You have to see a negative even in 100% bliss.

Go and support another club this instance as it is fans like you that have dragged us to the abyss we are in now. hahaha

AND I BET YOU ENJOY IT
What? It was the happiest day of my life too, just I would have preffered it if one our own players scored for 3-2 and not an own goal. How on earth am I being negative? Idiot.

simonregis

I see where you get your name from. But, well done, you at least posted the most stupid thread of 2015, haha (don't take it to heart I'm only jesting)

Grendel

lifeskyblue

We won. I was just so thrilled. The fact it deflected off mabbutt is fine....all part of football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bringbackrattles

Who gives a toss about how we won the Cup we won and that's all that matters.You sometimes need a bit of luck in big games,remember the Geoff Hurst goal in the World Cup Final ? It wasn't probably over the line but we took it and went on and lifted the trophy.

Otis

So you wouldn't have rathered a City player scoring than an own goal if you could turn back time?

If I could turn back time and this is pure fantasy, I would have liked the winning goal to have been scored by a naked Michelle Pfeiffer. Overhead scissor kick.

Hobo

Sadly ,the calibre of player we may Never see again...

Some fans might be suprised that as a top tier club we signed Gynne from Peterborough, and Houchens CV included Hartlepool, York and Scunthorpe. Not long after this we signed a real class midfielder called Dean Emmerson from Rotherham.;)

Skyblueweeman

Hmmm, bit of a strange question really.

I don't really care to be honest...the ball looped in and we won the cup...not bothered by who it came off. I think the fact that it came of Mabbutts knee has giving us something to jest at over the years and something he'll never forget.

Also, that fanzine would then have been called 'Gynns Right Foot' or 'Cyrils Forehead'.

Skyblueweeman

Some fans might be suprised that as a top tier club we signed Gynne from Peterborough, and Houchens CV included Hartlepool, York and Scunthorpe. Not long after this we signed a real class midfielder called Dean Emmerson from Rotherham.;)

I'd love us to be fishing in those pools now! Forest Green Rovers seems to be 'en vogue' for us recently!

Colin1883

Some fans might be suprised that as a top tier club we signed Gynne from Peterborough, and Houchens CV included Hartlepool, York and Scunthorpe. Not long after this we signed a real class midfielder called
Dean Emmerson from Rotherham.;)

Yeah, your right... You could also add physco and a few others to that list, but in them days we had two groats to rub together...

Users who are viewing this thread