Match Thread Luton Town vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Sunday 24th Feb (1 Viewer)

Terry Gibson's perm

Yeah they were taking a lot of flak, but that is to be expected.

We don’t have the rough arsed enforcer that we require still.

Shows today how we have wasted this season we should be further up the league.

Sky Blue Pete

Also we are gonna finish about 10th. Listening to most of you half full guys. Who is to blame for not being a play off team? Burge or are lots of the team playing at their level? They can’t all be playing below their level can they? Shipley not good enough Chaplin not good enough Baka not good enough Bayliss not strong enough enobekare not strong enough Doyle not good enough? Who the fuck meets your exacting standards and where on earth did you expect a team that finished 6th in league 2 to finish this season

Last edited:

Sky Blue Pete

He saved them, that’s the main thing. Today doesn’t define him as a keeper; a season does. And he’s not good enough IMO if we want to challenge teams. Last season he came on massively but he found his level. But I reckon had it been Collins in Maccormacks position for the free kick effort we would now be talking after a 2-1 defeat. Would have loved it to have been hylton who missed it though :D
You thought we’d finish top 6? And Burge has let us down and is the reason we are performing so poorly

matesx

Also we are gonna finish about 10th. Listening to most of you half full guys. Who is to blame for not being a play off team? Burge or are lost of the team playing at their level? They can’t all be playing below their level can they? Shipley not good enough Chaplin not good enough Baka not good enough Bayliss not strong enough enobekare not strong enough Doyle not good enough? Who the fuck meets your exacting standards and where on earth did you expect a team that finished 6th in league 2 to finish this season

Top.

Like Luton.

ps1948

The fact that the Luton man had a free header in the 6-yard box with no defender anywhere near him has been completely forgotten about in the rush to blame Burge for every goal we concede. Yes, he could/might have done better, but the pace on the header was enough to beat most keepers.
Overall, I think a very disciplined performance and a hard-earned point.
And one more point - why do we give away so may silly fouls/make so many silly challenges knowing the ref will give everything against us - in and around the penalty area?

higgs

The fact that the Luton man had a free header in the 6-yard box with no defender anywhere near him has been completely forgotten about in the rush to blame Burge for every goal we concede. Yes, he could/might have done better, but the pace on the header was enough to beat most keepers.
And one more point - why do we give away so may silly fouls/make so many silly challenges knowing the ref will give everything against us - in and around the penalty area?
We Should have had a player on the back post

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Don’t give a shit about their thug of a non footballer who struck it. Burge reacted quickly and pulled off a good stop and held it. Similar to the one he came off the line for. You won’t ever be happy so the club have to move on and get a new keeper ffs

Jesus. It doesn't matter who struck it, it was straight at Burge. It was a terrible miss.

The one with his feet is a basic save you would expect, the fact it's lauded as a top save explains everything.

ps1948

Jesus. It doesn't matter who struck it, it was straight at Burge. It was a terrible miss.

The one with his feet is a basic save you would expect, the fact it's lauded as a top save explains everything.
Except that if it had been Stockdale, you'd have been saying that it was a top save, that Burge would not have saved.
I think we are all agreed that it would be best to find a more commanding keeper, but, as it stands, who would sign for a Club that could easily not be around next season....

Nick

Administrator
Except that if it had been Stockdale, you'd have been saying that it was a top save, that Burge would not have saved.
I think we are all agreed that it would be best to find a more commanding keeper, but, as it stands, who would sign for a Club that could easily not be around next season....

I wouldn't have been saying it is a top save. Burge would have saved it as well as it was straight at him.

I never said he made any top saves I just pointed out he does the basics well. He never had to make top saves while he was here, for starters it was because of the organisation that prevented that.

I pointed out the basic things that Stockdale did that Burge doesn't. Today showed that.

CJ_covblaze

Enjoyed that. Good game to watch. Happy with a point. Hiwula’s run for the goal was superb and chuffed for Shipley. Was pleased it was him on the end of it. Burge could’ve done better with their goal but it was a very good header and Pearson was virtually unopposed. It was made so easy for him. Burge also made up for it later on.

CCFCSteve

Also we are gonna finish about 10th. Listening to most of you half full guys. Who is to blame for not being a play off team? Burge or are lost of the team playing at their level? They can’t all be playing below their level can they? Shipley not good enough Chaplin not good enough Baka not good enough Bayliss not strong enough enobekare not strong enough Doyle not good enough? Who the fuck meets your exacting standards and where on earth did you expect a team that finished 6th in league 2 to finish this season

Here, here ! Also said on Sky our average age was 22 !

Gint11

Don’t give a shit about their thug of a non footballer who struck it. Burge reacted quickly and pulled off a good stop and held it. Similar to the one he came off the line for. You won’t ever be happy so the club have to move on and get a new keeper ffs

Erm have you got eyes? Burge was already committed by diving. The Luton player hit it straight at him. We and Burge were very fortunate.
Praising him for the save is daft.

lifeskyblue

Great result that the majority of us would have settled for before the game. To go to top of the table and to come away with that is credit to the players and staff. Yes we might have been second best for large parts of the game but we didn’t buckle under pressure. Last season we went to high flying Mansfield and came away with a great result that kick started a play off finishing run. Hoping today’s good result will inspire similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gibbo

Also we are gonna finish about 10th. Listening to most of you half full guys. Who is to blame for not being a play off team? Burge or are lots of the team playing at their level? They can’t all be playing below their level can they? Shipley not good enough Chaplin not good enough Baka not good enough Bayliss not strong enough enobekare not strong enough Doyle not good enough? Who the fuck meets your exacting standards and where on earth did you expect a team that finished 6th in league 2 to finish this season

That's it in a nutshell.
We have the core of a good team for next year (Willis, Hyam, Kelly, Bayliss, Mason) or the year after, when the current crop of younger players (Baka, Hiwula, Wakefield, Shipley) have matured and been suitably added to, assuming we can hold on to them. In my optimistic moments I believe that is the strategy, rather than a hand to mouth exercise forced on Robbins it sometimes appears.
Oh, and looks like Robbins thinks Wakefield is almost ready for the first team and is lined up to replace Thomas at the end of the season.

block16

Luton is a shithole. We played fine tough game need to look after the ball better to give ourselves a chance. Great support again

D

Deleted member 4439

Luton were pretty skilled at backing into our players to win cheap free kicks.

Philosorapter

Some tables to show the change of performance over the season based upon results.

1.) IMG_3149.PNG 2.) IMG_3150.PNG 3.) IMG_3147.PNG

1. End of the first half of the season.
2. End of the January transfer window.
3. Current performance table based on results.

Last edited:

Gint11

Great result. Proud of them on the whole.

First 15 we look shit scared. Tippy tappy, half hearted tackles, struggled to pass the ball. Terrible defending for the corner. Free header so close to goal is criminal. Burge should have saved it. Robins admitted it. Stockdale saves that.
We should have had a penalty as well.
But they had a few shoot past the post and the one at the end so we’ll take it and move on
Great effort from a young team and showed good resilience.
Thought Willis and Hyam were solid. Mason and Shipley decent. Thomas was a threat too.

CanadianCCFC

This was really pissing me off. Stupid free kicks from crossing positions given away when we can’t defend set piece crosses, and stupid free kicks from shooting positions given away for no reason when they scored 2 of them in their last 2 games.

Edit: That came off as angry. I’m happy with the result, it’s just that the constant free kicks made it a nervy experience

SkyBlue_Bear83

You're joking about the burge thing right? I'd expect a 16 year old Sunday league keeper to save that 99 times out of a 100

Skybluefaz

Michael Rose for a start...

Adge

Happy with that. Bit of a containment exercise that worked well although there were still a few nervous moments.

Harry

Well, you worked hard for that point, nit sure why you give Burge such stick,, thought he was pretty reasonable, the defense were on holiday for our goal. Both of us should have had a penalty and yes are team our quite physical and do wrestle in with the best of them. Shame we took our foot of the pedal and relaxed in the sun when we scored, you took advantage and we could never get it back again. Not the Hatters best day, we had more than enough of the ball but a spark was badly missing in the middle - doesn't work for us playing Hylton and Collins together. Hope you pull out of your financial difficulties, good to chat

Speedies_Chips

Well, you worked hard for that point, nit sure why you give Burge such stick,, thought he was pretty reasonable, the defense were on holiday for our goal. Both of us should have had a penalty and yes are team our quite physical and do wrestle in with the best of them. Shame we took our foot of the pedal and relaxed in the sun when we scored, you took advantage and we could never get it back again. Not the Hatters best day, we had more than enough of the ball but a spark was badly missing in the middle - doesn't work for us playing Hylton and Collins together. Hope you pull out of your financial difficulties, good to chat

Cheers. And good luck in the Championship.

better days

Very fair comments all round. Thanks

Sky Blue Harry H

You're joking about the burge thing right? I'd expect a 16 year old Sunday league keeper to save that 99 times out of a 100

Really? Watch it back. He did well to hold it, with a forward waiting for a spill. Any Sunday league keeper saving that would have been at the bar going on about that for the next few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread