Luke McCormick (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delboycov

Couldn't agree more Astute....HH has lived through this nightmare unlike the rest of us and is the only one who is in a position where he can say definitively if he could forgive or not....I hope those that think he should be left alone for the rest of his life without further mention of this 'mistake'... 'pure accident'.....'he's a nice guy so leave him alone'...think again after reading this.

Otis

To be fair, I don't think anyone is sticking up for the bloke.

I can also obviously understand all the vitriol too. If McCormick now though does vigorously campaign against drink driving that can only be a good thing and if he can do so from a high profile position of a footballer then all the better.

Been some very sad stories on here and all I can do is offer my sympathies to you all. I have no such stories to recount. The only experience I have is when someone smashed into the back of my car and was completely pissed up. It was quite late at night though and I was in bed with the car parked outside. He hit the car so hard it was written off.

It went to court but he got off unfortunately as he fled the scene and was sober by the time they caught up with him.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Guys, I wasn't looking for sympathy when I posted about the loss of my sister, but thanks anyway. Some nice comments. All I was trying to put forward was that people tend to forget the victims families - how they cope with their lives afterwards. This incident devasted me at the time. I can't say on these forums what I did as a result of what happened, and won't ever reveal details (although I was punished quite severly at the time), but it changed my whole life. I had three other sisters and two brothers - I was the youngest - so thankfully, we could give each other comfort. My mum was totally devasted as you can imagine, and never got over losing her daughter so young. We had lost our dad just a few months earlier as well. I am still in contact with my niece Karen who as I said is now a paramedic (her way of wanting to help others), and I am so proud of her. We are extremely close - more as father and daughter than Uncle and niece. She is also a beautiful person with two great kids (now teenagers). So, once again to those on here who say we should allow McCormick and others like him to get on with their lives, sorry, I can never agree. The scum should suffer big time.

skybluesteve76

I'm not excusing him!!!! I called him a c**t on the first page. But people like yourself pick on the minor issues.

I say it how it is. He was a c**t for driving over the limit but he never went out to kill the 2 kids did he?

As for Hughes, hes just a wanker of the highest order. Driving sniffed up from the pub at 1 in the morning and leaving the scene. McCormick was twice over, 20 years back everyone coming back from pub was more then that!!

By getting in the car still pissed he would of known that there was a chance he could of killed someone or himself! You do that, it's a lottery.

covcity4life

I wont be either, genuinley nice lad who made a massive, massive mistake, one that i know will haunt him for the rest of his life.

yeh so nice he got drunk,decided to drive and endanger lots of lives and killed 2 innocent children

yeh genuinly nice lad:facepalm:

he has a legal right to resume his career but i wish him no luck whatsoever and refuse to "leave it out" because it was a mistake,only a weak chav with no morals could believe deciding to drink drive is just a simple mistake.

CovfanDan

Some of these posts have been a tough read, so credit to those who have discussed their personal tradegies, this subject is closer to home for some than others so this could'nt have been easy to write for some of you.

It looks like we all agree that the 3 years was / is no-way near enough for what he did. So, we have a problem with the system that the UK has for drink drivers, and most serious crimes to be honest, how many times have you read about something and thought, 'bloody hell, is that all?' at the sentance.

I feel that the powers that be who run our game though, have a responsibility to the fans and public to have the powers to say who can and can't play football for a club in the 92.

Its hard to take that although he has served the sentance, he is allowed to continue his priveledged career as a professional footballer. Football is surely a different profession in that they are becoming more and more roles models for our kids and have a duty to behave themselves. If he had been a brickie or whatever, no doubt walk into another job doing that when he came out of prison.

Lets say, like in boxing, players have a licence/contract not only with their club, but the F.A too? They are all in the PFA and have a duty to behave in accordance with their contracts with the PFA, so how about they have the authority to say, 'look, ok, you've served your time, but given the nature of the job as a footballer, who kids look upto, the media circus surrounding our game, given what you did we've revoked your licence'

This would stop any club being able to sign him and although he would be out of prison, could not carry on having a career in such a high profile sport, where he could be plastered all over the back pages for the affected families to see all the while

KarmicChris

Yes he probably will be feeling shite for the rest of his life for what he's done and so he should be! I think he should have served his full sentence for a start and then maybe I would consider this whole "it was a mistake he should be given the chance to make amends for it".

Otis

Some of these posts have been a tough read, so credit to those who have discussed their personal tradegies, this subject is closer to home for some than others so this could'nt have been easy to write for some of you.

It looks like we all agree that the 3 years was / is no-way near enough for what he did. So, we have a problem with the system that the UK has for drink drivers, and most serious crimes to be honest, how many times have you read about something and thought, 'bloody hell, is that all?' at the sentance.

I feel that the powers that be who run our game though, have a responsibility to the fans and public to have the powers to say who can and can't play football for a club in the 92.

Its hard to take that although he has served the sentance, he is allowed to continue his priveledged career as a professional footballer. Football is surely a different profession in that they are becoming more and more roles models for our kids and have a duty to behave themselves. If he had been a brickie or whatever, no doubt walk into another job doing that when he came out of prison.

Lets say, like in boxing, players have a licence/contract not only with their club, but the F.A too? They are all in the PFA and have a duty to behave in accordance with their contracts with the PFA, so how about they have the authority to say, 'look, ok, you've served your time, but given the nature of the job as a footballer, who kids look upto, the media circus surrounding our game, given what you did we've revoked your licence'

This would stop any club being able to sign him and although he would be out of prison, could not carry on having a career in such a high profile sport, where he could be plastered all over the back pages for the affected families to see all the while

Trouble is, footballers are becoming very bad role models for our children. Just don't buy this role model argument to be honest.

Role models? Who? Wayne Rooney? Joey Barton? Diouf? Drogba? Terry? Ashley Cole? Jermaine Pennant? Marlon King? Titus Bramble? There are so many footballers misbehaving and not living lives that warrant them even being considered for one second as role models.

The days of footballers as good role models has long, long gone.

Just think it's a duff argument. A better argument is of professional footballers being in the limelight and important part of modern day culture.

WillieStanley

OK. moving slightly away from this particular indiviual and more to football as a whole.

If you gove kids a lot of money... or even an average amount of money... or even £400pw and do not provide them with the lessons in life skills, direction towards positive ways to spend their leisure time and then boost their egos by presenting them with pro footballer contracts and agents making them believe they walk on water, there will always be some who will make these kinds of mistakes. If these mistakes are not made early on, they've nothing to learn from and this lifestyle becomes habitual. Between teen years and around 25, depending on the person, it is a massive responsibility to provide a supportive network to ensure that these people grow into mature, reasonable and well adjusted young men. Kids need solidarity around them. They need to be shown that the way to behave is not acceptable, ant-social and potentially fatal.

Young lads shouldn't be expected to be able that sort of money and power. While this continues to be the culture in football, you will always have you Lee Hughes', Marlon Kings, Luke McCormicks and Kevin Thortons. If the structure isn't there in the family home, clubs have a responsibility to ensure that they provide it. Do they still even have Digs for the kids anymore?

Should McCormick remain true to his word, it shows remarkable strength of character and guts. What he did was wrong and, to be honest, I'm not sure how I would react if I were a victim but people deserve the right to redemption and repentence, not a Sun style witch hunt.

gally9

All true, but 2 kids won't even have the opportunity to make such mistakes or live there dreams.. He knows what's right and what's wrong.. He's undefendable in my opinion.

ccfc2011

Let's not forget luke mccormick took two innocent boys lives if he had any respect for the family he destroyed he would say no to
swindon he should not be allowed to play football again and don't get me started on lee Hughes he's pure scum.

Otis

You think he should serve a double sentence then?

Serve a jail sentence and be prevented from ever doing the one thing he is good at? :thinking about:

Sometimes I forget what century we are in. :(

C

Clive Plattini

I've not read all 15 pages but I thought I would chip in. I think it is outrageous that he was only served 3 and a half years for killing to children whilst drink driving. But, sadly this is how the system seems to work in this country. So if our government believe he has been punished suitably then he should be able to work again. It just so happens that his work is being paid a lot more than most and in the public eye.

Otis

And if he is this nice guy people are talking about then isn't he serving a double sentence anyway, the jail sentence and having to live with what he's done every waking hour?

coundonskyblue

I consider myself as someone who likes to see a tough approach to crime and sentencing. I think he should have got longer inside, however once he is out its over in my opinion.

If he is still a danger to society & hasn't learned his lesson then he shouldn't be let out, if he has then he should be allowed to get on with his life. You can't punish someone twice.

Otis

Totally agree.

And seems everyone to a man says he should have served much longer. No-one is arguing that point.

If you prevent criminals returning to the jobs they were doing before they turned criminal then all you are doing in many ways is pointing them back towards crime.

torchomatic

I suppose it is because of his job. As Astute said earlier if he was returning to a job in Tescos there would be no problem. Basically, all he's lost is three years of liberty while his victims have lost their lives. That is the be all and end all.

While all lags obviously should be allowed to get on with their lives afterwards, the attitude that annoyed me on here was the ''but, he said he was sorry'' and ''he's a nice bloke'' quotes. That will cut no ice with his family who are the only people who matter here.

Grendel

I suppose it is because of his job. As Astute said earlier if he was returning to a job in Tescos there would be no problem. Basically, all he's lost is three years of liberty while his victims have lost their lives. That is the be all and end all.

While all lags obviously should be allowed to get on with their lives afterwards, the attitude that annoyed me on here was the ''but, he said he was sorry'' and ''he's a nice bloke'' quotes. That will cut no ice with his family who are the only people who matter here.

Indeed. Trying to get a high paid professional management job coming out of prison would be very difficult. In football there is an unseemly haste to bag a bargain and get someone playing for them regardless of what they had done. If he is really remorseful spend some time working for a charity (here or overseas) and try and put some good into society.

LastGarrison

I'm quite an opinionated fucker in general but I really don't know where I stand on this one.

What he did was horrific and I for two young children to lose their lives is such a tragedy. His sentence was pitiful and personally I would have wanted to see him serve at least 7 or 8 years in jail. Although even with a longer sentence it is never going to bring back those poor kids or ease the pain of their family.

However, to penalise him after he has served his sentence that was set by a British Court of Law is wrong. Why shouldn't he go back to his job?

He has shown genuine remorse, something Hughes has never done, and if he goes on to get involved in drink driving campaigns and tries to educate others through his mistake at least he is going some way to try and make a small difference.

If I was the family I could never forgive him for what he did and wouldn't want him in the public eye but then I would not be thinking rationally. I would want him dead.

He is going to have to live with those two kids deaths on his conscience for the rest of his life (and I know at least he has a life) but that is a burden I'm not sure I could take.

Even after typing this it looks like I'm on McCormick's side but I'm not. Although he didn't set out to intentionally kill those kids the fact of the matter is he did. It is just that our justice system was way too lenient, in my opinion, in this case.

Fuck knows, just a truly horrible shitty case that has destroyed and affected many peoples lives.

CovfanDan

Trouble is, footballers are becoming very bad role models for our children. Just don't buy this role model argument to be honest.

Role models? Who? Wayne Rooney? Joey Barton? Diouf? Drogba? Terry? Ashley Cole? Jermaine Pennant? Marlon King? Titus Bramble? There are so many footballers misbehaving and not living lives that warrant them even being considered for one second as role models.

The days of footballers as good role models has long, long gone.

Just think it's a duff argument. A better argument is of professional footballers being in the limelight and important part of modern day culture.

Oh im not saying they should be role models, but whether we like it or not, they are. You've worded it better than I did, i just think that football should be able to not let these people, moreso the ones who have served time, play our 'beautiful' game.

Ok so we or the FA cant do much about the prison sentence, but the FA could do something to stop footballers who commit the most serious of crimes, playing for another club.

Otis

I wish it was still the beautiful game.

Unfortunately it isn't anymore. Full of cheats and divers and wreckless individuals, with no self control and a disdain for those who pay their hard-earned money to go and watch them play.

covcity4life

The same as I did when we signed Marlon King.

I neither applauded him or booed him.

i would be appalled if we signed him

what king did to the women is nowhere near as bad,but since i have found king also been done for drink driving so hes gone down in my estimation to the same low low place also.

ccfc2011

You still can't get away that he killed two innocent boys and destroyed there family he's the lowest of the low should not be able to play football.
To be a football should be a privilege not something taken for granted.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

So how would everybody feel then if we signed him?????????????

Well that's academic as we don't sign players!

My personal view is that he should not have come back into football. He should have kept his head down, gone into another trade and built a new life for himself. It is grossly unfair on the family who suffered so much from his actions that he may be playing on TV and idolised by a new generation of supporters. Having said this, he has served his time and is entitled to have a new life away from the lynch mobs. It's about striking an appropriate balance.

Also equating him to Marlon King is very wrong. Yes, King's behaviour was deplorable but he didn't kill anyone.

Jimmy Hill's Chin

On a practical level it is going to be difficult for him as goalkeepers are rather exposed on the pitch and will get a lot of stick from away fans. He will be a sitting duck for abuse,not that I am advocating that he should be verbally abused.

he has a legal right to resume his career but i wish him no luck whatsoever and refuse to "leave it out" because it was a mistake,only a weak chav with no morals could believe deciding to drink drive is just a simple mistake.

Agreed, although I don't think I referred to it as 'just a simple mistake' so I am presuming your 'weak chav with no morals' jibe was not aimed at me?

SkyBlueSwiss

I am new to this forum (one post on the boardroom page), so I will try to be circumspect, but I feel I must make a statement here.

Firstly, let me say that I know and understand losing children due to the mistakes of others. I have lost two daughters. I say this not to gain sympathy but to provide evidence of my understanding when I say I understand the pain of loss.
My daughters did not need to die - it was two different mistakes at two different times by doctors who were "experts" in their fields and who made basic errors that resulted in the deaths of my daughters. I am over 60 years old now and it is nearly 40 years since these events, but the pain will always be there.

But perhaps time and age lend me a perspective that is not yet present in many of you "youngsters" on this forum, and perhaps many of you have not yet lived long enough to realise that we all make mistakes and do things that we later regret - sometimes till the day we die. Some mistakes are big, some illegal, some small with little in the way of consequences that yet loom large in our own conscienses.
I have made many mistakes in my 60+ years, many of which I regret. You will all make mistakes if you haven't already. If you are very lucky, those mistakes will not cost anyone their lives. If you are very lucky, you will never find yourselves in a position where your decisions will inevitably hurt people.
When you understand that we are only human, perhaps you will be a little more tolerant and lenient towards the mistakes of other people. The mistakes I have made in my life have occasionally caused people emotional hurt. The mistakes other people have made have cost me two daughters, and yet I cannot hate these people, I do not want to kill them and I do not wish them evil or bad thoughts for the rest of their lives. They are human and they made mistakes and that cost lives. To me, not having an incubator ready when a woman is having a premature birth under difficult circumstances is a terrible error for a specialist university hospital to make, and a daughter died because of that error, and to me such a basic error by a seasoned professional medical team is much worse than a silly young man getting behind the wheel of a car under the influence of alcohol.
While I did and still do blame the medical professional for their blatant errors, I did not and I do not wish to see them prosecuted, even though they caused my daughters death through sheer negligence. I did not and I do not desire them to be punished - they made a mistake - as we all do. I got lucky - my mistakes never killed anyone - theirs did. Should I hate them for that? Should I want to kill them for that? Nothing will bring my daughters back.

From what I am reading, there seem to be two points that are upsetting some on this forum. The fact that the sentence was too short and the fact that he will be allowed to play football again.
So sorry for those that disagree, but this young man served the sentence that the justice system of the country in which he committed the crime gave him, including any reduction in time served for good behaviour. To blame this silly boy for the length of the sentence he served is folly - blame the system, not the one sentenced.
Secondly, why on Earth should this lad not return to playing football? It is his profession for goodness sake! Is this jealousy speaking here that he will potentially earn more than most of us ever will and you feel he shouldn't because he made a mistake? And of course it makes a difference if he genuinely admits his mistake, regrets the consequences of his actions and is willing to do all he can to make up for it and help other people to avoid making the same or similar tragic and stupid mistake that he made.
And to openly state that you personally would be willing to kill him if given 5 minutes alone with him is not only incredibly stupid but is probably also actionable under the laws that you so cry out against as being inadequate.

To you that are so unforgiving, I can only hope that you or your children or your close friends or relatives do not make a stupid mistake in your lives and find yourselves on the other side of this argument wishing for forgiveness for your stupidity that some are not willing to give you.

For those of you that have also suffered tradgedy, I am sorry for your losses and the consequences that were caused by the mistakes of others. But I refuse to be a victim and I long ago forgave those that caused me so much pain and loss. I forgave those that did this to me and my wife and their brothers and sisters, and perhaps those who have reacted so violently to this tradgedy should remember that it did not happen to them, they were not involved, they do not know the full story and it is for the people that suffered tradgedy to forgive or not forgive, to take veangance or not take veangance. I would hesitate before being so veangefull towards a silly youth who's bad mistake caused so much damage to others than you yourselves.

I am not religous, but it does not take religion to forgive those that cause you so much hurt, and it does not require religion to realise that we all make mistakes and should consider ourselves fortunate that the mistakes we have made and the mistakes that we will inevitably make do not result in such tradgedy. Remeber that the next time you are, for instance, driving, and for just an instant let yourself be distracted by your child in the back seat. You just got lucky that your split second of inatention did not result in you killing that woman and her child in the pushchair at the side of the road.

And would I have this young man playing for our beloved and sadly beset club. If his remorse is genuine, then why on Earth not?

Sutty

SkyBlueSwiss - I know you weren't looking for sympathy, but I'm sure you have it from everyone on this forum.

Very good of you to put your thoughts in here - I agree with pretty much all of that.

superskyblue

The best possible outcome from Luke McCormick's release is that he uses his experiences to provide good. I.e. to raise awareness of the issues, using his public profile to help.

Otis

I am new to this forum (one post on the boardroom page), so I will try to be circumspect, but I feel I must make a statement here.

Firstly, let me say that I know and understand losing children due to the mistakes of others. I have lost two daughters. I say this not to gain sympathy but to provide evidence of my understanding when I say I understand the pain of loss.
My daughters did not need to die - it was two different mistakes at two different times by doctors who were "experts" in their fields and who made basic errors that resulted in the deaths of my daughters. I am over 60 years old now and it is nearly 40 years since these events, but the pain will always be there.

But perhaps time and age lend me a perspective that is not yet present in many of you "youngsters" on this forum, and perhaps many of you have not yet lived long enough to realise that we all make mistakes and do things that we later regret - sometimes till the day we die. Some mistakes are big, some illegal, some small with little in the way of consequences that yet loom large in our own conscienses.
I have made many mistakes in my 60+ years, many of which I regret. You will all make mistakes if you haven't already. If you are very lucky, those mistakes will not cost anyone their lives. If you are very lucky, you will never find yourselves in a position where your decisions will inevitably hurt people.
When you understand that we are only human, perhaps you will be a little more tolerant and lenient towards the mistakes of other people. The mistakes I have made in my life have occasionally caused people emotional hurt. The mistakes other people have made have cost me two daughters, and yet I cannot hate these people, I do not want to kill them and I do not wish them evil or bad thoughts for the rest of their lives. They are human and they made mistakes and that cost lives. To me, not having an incubator ready when a woman is having a premature birth under difficult circumstances is a terrible error for a specialist university hospital to make, and a daughter died because of that error, and to me such a basic error by a seasoned professional medical team is much worse than a silly young man getting behind the wheel of a car under the influence of alcohol.
While I did and still do blame the medical professional for their blatant errors, I did not and I do not wish to see them prosecuted, even though they caused my daughters death through sheer negligence. I did not and I do not desire them to be punished - they made a mistake - as we all do. I got lucky - my mistakes never killed anyone - theirs did. Should I hate them for that? Should I want to kill them for that? Nothing will bring my daughters back.

From what I am reading, there seem to be two points that are upsetting some on this forum. The fact that the sentence was too short and the fact that he will be allowed to play football again.
So sorry for those that disagree, but this young man served the sentence that the justice system of the country in which he committed the crime gave him, including any reduction in time served for good behaviour. To blame this silly boy for the length of the sentence he served is folly - blame the system, not the one sentenced.
Secondly, why on Earth should this lad not return to playing football? It is his profession for goodness sake! Is this jealousy speaking here that he will potentially earn more than most of us ever will and you feel he shouldn't because he made a mistake? And of course it makes a difference if he genuinely admits his mistake, regrets the consequences of his actions and is willing to do all he can to make up for it and help other people to avoid making the same or similar tragic and stupid mistake that he made.
And to openly state that you personally would be willing to kill him if given 5 minutes alone with him is not only incredibly stupid but is probably also actionable under the laws that you so cry out against as being inadequate.

To you that are so unforgiving, I can only hope that you or your children or your close friends or relatives do not make a stupid mistake in your lives and find yourselves on the other side of this argument wishing for forgiveness for your stupidity that some are not willing to give you.

For those of you that have also suffered tradgedy, I am sorry for your losses and the consequences that were caused by the mistakes of others. But I refuse to be a victim and I long ago forgave those that caused me so much pain and loss. I forgave those that did this to me and my wife and their brothers and sisters, and perhaps those who have reacted so violently to this tradgedy should remember that it did not happen to them, they were not involved, they do not know the full story and it is for the people that suffered tradgedy to forgive or not forgive, to take veangance or not take veangance. I would hesitate before being so veangefull towards a silly youth who's bad mistake caused so much damage to others than you yourselves.

I am not religous, but it does not take religion to forgive those that cause you so much hurt, and it does not require religion to realise that we all make mistakes and should consider ourselves fortunate that the mistakes we have made and the mistakes that we will inevitably make do not result in such tradgedy. Remeber that the next time you are, for instance, driving, and for just an instant let yourself be distracted by your child in the back seat. You just got lucky that your split second of inatention did not result in you killing that woman and her child in the pushchair at the side of the road.

And would I have this young man playing for our beloved and sadly beset club. If his remorse is genuine, then why on Earth not?

Cannot argue with any of that. Can't see that anyone else can either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread