Luke McCormick (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

In my working life it has been quite the norm for many, many, many work colleagues to drink and drive.

It's a lot more rife than people on here are making out. And though I am not condoning it in any shape or form, and I hate to see anyone drink and drive, McCormick was only twice over the limit. As I say, if I am driving I don't touch a single drop and it should be a zero tolerance policy that should be in force, but there are I would guess absolutely huge masses of people who drive home twice over the limit regularly.

I used to work with a guy who would have 6 pints at lunchtime and then a further 8 or so at night and he drove to work every morning for about 25 years. He never ever appeared drunk and seemed well in control of his faculties. I have no idea how he did it!

The point I am making here that it can be quite often the case that someone feels they are okay to drive ... when obviously the reality is that the law says that they are not.

Just as dangerous as someone twice over the limit is anyone driving while on their mobile phones. Really bugs me to see it and it is such a regular occurrence and so many people are doing it.

I'm not excusing what he did and of course over the limit is over the limit, but I have had to talk many a person out of driving when they have seemed okay in themselves despite obviously being over the limit.

I am totally against drink driving, as I am of people driving while chatting on their mobile phones and of people speeding.

To my mind it is obviously the speeding thing to blame here as much as anything else.

To sum up here though, yes, the sentence was too lenient. Trouble is, that is not Luke McCormick's fault is it. If he's done his time and is released I'm not quite sure what people expect him to do!

As someone said earlier, it was a horrible mistake. If he is the nice guy people have said he is then I bet there is not a single day that passes by without him relieving the terrible moment.

He's done his time, shown remorse and is now a free citizen. I am sure he will carry the memory of that terrible day to his grave. Is that now not punishment enough?

I'm not saying anyone should forgive him. At the same time though, he has the right to earn and living and his living is as a footballer.

If it ever happened to my daughter and the bloke showed complete remorse, I am not sure I would forgive him, but I would be a lot more at peace knowing that he had to face the same sentence every single day for the rest of his life. i certainly wouldn't be seeking revenge though. Not he was sincerely remorseful.

Well if he is this wonderful guy, he must be just an unbelievably thick c**t. But hey he s a footballer and is sorry , fair do s maybe a statue outside the ricoh

Otis

I'm absoluely amazed you think that's vindictive! The parents will suffer every day of their waking hour and not in the same way he will...as I said before he'll at least have the privelege of seeing his children grow up...and not from a wheelchair. Yes I do hope he is haunted for the rest of his life for what he did...I hope his life is a misery but I'll guarantee it will be nothing compared to what those parents will go through. The sentence was pathetic and if he'd done that to my 2 daughters he wouldn't be alive now.

You always seem a very decent and reasonable poster Dellboy, though I have to say I am quite shocked to hear anyone say that 'if he'd done that to my 2 daughters he wouldn't be alive now' about a guy who has genuinely said he is sorry and is full of remorse.

If you were to 'kill him ' in revenge then you would be just as bad as the perpetrator. And even more so under the law because yours would have been premeditated.

Understand the sentiment and anger anyone would have but a tooth for a tooth is not the answer nor is anyone hoping he rots in hell.

If we can rehabilitate people and people can change then surely that makes the world a much better place than one filled with hate and vengeance?

Otis

Well if he is this wonderful guy, he must be just an unbelievably thick c**t. But hey he s a footballer and is sorry , fair do s maybe a statue outside the ricoh

Nowt like putting a spin on things is there.

No-one has said he is wonderful. And the statue stuff is pure nonsense. He's done his time, has showed remorse and is a free man.

Not sure what else people expect from him. If you;re angry be angry with the system that allowed such a short sentence, not the bloke who has served his sentence and now wants to rehabilitate.

Astute

If it ever happened to my daughter and the bloke showed complete remorse, I am not sure I would forgive him, but I would be a lot more at peace knowing that he had to face the same sentence every single day for the rest of his life. i certainly wouldn't be seeking revenge though. Not he was sincerely remorseful.

Some bloke once hit my 26 year old daughter when she split up with him. She was about 20 at the time. He got it back off me. I wouldn't like to think what I would do if anyone hurt my little ones. Now if someone killed any of my kids I would happily do time. Showing remorse would not cut it with me. I would be a lot more at peace knowing he could never do it again.

Sutty

McCormick seems to have genuinely shown remorse for his stupid actions that have tragically cost the lives of two young kids. The sentence was short yes, but the point of prison is to punish AND rehabilitate. McCormick seems to be genuinely gutted and I think we can all only imagine our feelings if we made a mistake that led to a family losing their kids.

I think I read somewhere he wants to front a campaign to stop people making the same mistake he did. If his campaign can stop a few people drink driving, and save even a few more people's lives from being lost, then he's doing more good to society on the outside than he'd be doing in prison.

As I say, I really feel for the family involved, but McCormick has served his time, and it seems prison has had the desired effect. He accepts all the blame and wants to educate others to stop them making the same mistake.

Drink-driving is an idiotic thing to do - but I don't see him as a reprehensible human being, he just made one big mistake that will haunt him for all his days.

Real

I always give my car keys to my Missus or a mate if I drive to the pub (rarely I do that anyway) because stupid decisions are made when drink is involved. Before he'd had a drink Luke would probably have thought he'd never drink and drive, but once the ale is involved common sense often goes out of the window.

I recall having my drinks spiked many years ago. I didn't know they were doing it at the time. I got a taxi home, and then I got in my car and drove to the local kebab shop (I'd passed it in the taxi on the way home) that was literally round the corner. I would have been just as quick to walk as I was driving. I'd never drank and drove before, and I haven't since. But what if I had mowed some innocent down and killed them? I made a decision while I was more pissed than I'd ever been, it wasn't a clever one, and it wouldn't have happened if I'd just drank the normal drinks I usually would. It happened because my drinks were spiked with Vodka. I would have rightly been jailed, there would have been a stain on my character as a result. I shouldn't have done it, but what of the pricks who spiked me? Could I have used them as a defense in court? Should I not be allowed to work again?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ylqbzu

Last edited:

Sutty

Some bloke once hit my 26 year old daughter when she split up with him. She was about 20 at the time. He got it back off me. I wouldn't like to think what I would do if anyone hurt my little ones. Now if someone killed any of my kids I would happily do time. Showing remorse would not cut it with me. I would be a lot more at peace knowing he could never do it again.

I think that's a little different. You have to be a pretty disgusting person to hit a woman or child. McCormick made a bad mistake, but he didn't go out with the intention of killing anyone. It was an accident. Entirely his fault, but an accident all the same.

As for killing someone who killed one of your loved ones, that's a different debate, but to me that feels like I'd be lowering myself to the killer's level.

Otis

McCormick seems to have genuinely shown remorse for his stupid actions that have tragically cost the lives of two young kids. The sentence was short yes, but the point of prison is to punish AND rehabilitate. McCormick seems to be genuinely gutted and I think we can all only imagine our feelings if we made a mistake that led to a family losing their kids.

I think I read somewhere he wants to front a campaign to stop people making the same mistake he did. If his campaign can stop a few people drink driving, and save even a few more people's lives from being lost, then he's doing more good to society on the outside than he'd be doing in prison.

As I say, I really feel for the family involved, but McCormick has served his time, and it seems prison has had the desired effect. He accepts all the blame and wants to educate others to stop them making the same mistake.

Drink-driving is an idiotic thing to do - but I don't see him as a reprehensible human being, he just made one big mistake that will haunt him for all his days.

Excellent post Sutty and fully agree.

Astute

I don't think anyone has said he should never play again. 3 years though FFS

18 months for the life of each child and nothing for leaving their father in a wheelchair for life. I can't get my head around how someone can do such a thing and get away with it so lightly.

Otis

Agree. The sentence should have been about 7 years and he should have served 7 years.

Then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Not McCormick's fault he got let out early though is it.

ohitsaidwalker king power

I think that's a little different. You have to be a pretty disgusting person to hit a woman or child. McCormick made a bad mistake, but he didn't go out with the intention of killing anyone. It was an accident. Entirely his fault, but an accident all the same.

As for killing someone who killed one of your loved ones, that's a different debate, but to me that feels like I'd be lowering myself to the killer's level.

Mistake....? Mistake...?..... Accident....? Accident.....? This man got in his 2 tonne+ car under the influence of alcohol... drove at speed...he knew what he was doing.... it wasn't a mistake it was a calculated risk that he wouldn't get caught,he chanced his arm, lost and killed 2 children, left a man virtually paralysed and a family devastated for the rest of their lives... he knew what he was doing... it was totally avoidable and so wasn't an 'accident'.... haunt him for the rest of his life?.. so it damn well should, I hope when he closes his eyes he sees their faces.

Astute

So be it.

I am not a violent person anymore. That stopped many years ago when I realised how much my family means to me. I am like mum and dad to my 2 year old lad. He is heartbroken whenever I go to work or anywhere without him. If anything happened to him I could just not forget. I could not forgive. I know what it is like to nearly lose one of my kids. I had to resusitate my 3 year old daughter on 2nd Jan this year. 5 mins before half time. I forget who we were playing but will never forget what happened. I kept her breathing until the ambulance turned up. They took about 40 mins in the ambulance to stabilise her. I love all my kids the same, although they all go through stages of testing you. Nearly everything I do is for my kids.

Sutty

So be it.

I am not a violent person anymore. That stopped many years ago when I realised how much my family means to me. I am like mum and dad to my 2 year old lad. He is heartbroken whenever I go to work or anywhere without him. If anything happened to him I could just not forget. I could not forgive. I know what it is like to nearly lose one of my kids. I had to resusitate my 3 year old daughter on 2nd Jan this year. 5 mins before half time. I forget who we were playing but will never forget what happened. I kept her breathing until the ambulance turned up. They took about 40 mins in the ambulance to stabilise her. I love all my kids the same, although they all go through stages of testing you. Nearly everything I do is for my kids.

Good man. Certainly not suggesting that the family concerned here should just forgive and forget - just that the legal system needs to look at society as a whole.

Grendel

Good man. Certainly not suggesting that the family concerned here should just forgive and forget - just that the legal system needs to look at society as a whole.

The most distastful thing about this is the way football clubs are so willing to get these players. Any other highly paid profession would not be rushing to re-deploy him. Agents no doubt were hawking his services around while he was still inside. It was the same with lee Hughes. This is something that is hard to comprehend.

Astute

This is what I am trying to say. 3 years was not enough. Would 3 years have been enough for leaving their father in a wheelchair alone?

Sutty

This is what I am trying to say. 3 years was not enough. Would 3 years have been enough for leaving their father in a wheelchair alone?

I wouldn't have had any complaints if he was in for the full 7 years - so I'm with you on that one.

sylus

this tosser totally fucks up a family forever, all i would need is 5 mins in the cell with him..end of

torchomatic

But don't forget he's shown remorse. :facepalm:

I don't think anyone has said he should never play again. 3 years though FFS

18 months for the life of each child and nothing for leaving their father in a wheelchair for life. I can't get my head around how someone can do such a thing and get away with it so lightly.

Otis

Very, very important that he did show remorse, Torch. Makes one hell of a difference in terms of rehabilitation.

You would rather he showed no remorse then? :thinking about:

With respect, what else do we need to know?...As remoresful as he maybe, He killed two children and crippled their father. That's as much as we need to know. There are NO mitigating circumstances. He Drank, He drove, He killed and crippled, what else is there to say?

Fair point, and one I can't and won't argue with, I do however know there are certain points that haven't and won't be reported by the press that might have affected people's opinions.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
So what remorse has McCormick shown? What has he said? "Ooops-a-daisy! Hit another car and killed a couple of kiddywinks and maimed their dad. Silly me! Sorry everyone!"
Hang the c**t!! :mad:

Macca

Nowt like putting a spin on things is there.

No-one has said he is wonderful. And the statue stuff is pure nonsense. He's done his time, has showed remorse and is a free man.

Not sure what else people expect from him. If you;re angry be angry with the system that allowed such a short sentence, not the bloke who has served his sentence and now wants to rehabilitate.

Ok I exaggerate. But nice bloke has been trotted out. People say he never went out to kill anyone. But he knew it was possible surely. Drunk and driving at 100 mph he knew it was a possibility but he didn t care enough to not do it.

I'd rather talk city to be honest. If it wasn't for my love of the skyblues I d have turned my back on football long before now

superskyblue

It's not Luke McCormick's fault that he was only given 3 years and that people (including me) do not think that was enough. However, it is unarguable that he HAS done his time and you have to believe he is extremely remorseful and will never do it again.

Of course this does nothing for the parents who have lost their children, but it does mean that he shouldn't be given a hard time in my opinion.

Delboycov

You always seem a very decent and reasonable poster Dellboy, though I have to say I am quite shocked to hear anyone say that 'if he'd done that to my 2 daughters he wouldn't be alive now' about a guy who has genuinely said he is sorry and is full of remorse.

If you were to 'kill him ' in revenge then you would be just as bad as the perpetrator. And even more so under the law because yours would have been premeditated.

Understand the sentiment and anger anyone would have but a tooth for a tooth is not the answer nor is anyone hoping he rots in hell.

If we can rehabilitate people and people can change then surely that makes the world a much better place than one filled with hate and vengeance?

Tbh Otis I don't think I've disagreed with any of your views on here...apart from maybe your blind allegiance to the blue half of Glasgow ;-) You are by far and away the best poster on here as you don't just talk sense but you do it with humour and as a writer myself I know that's not always the easiest thing in the world to do. I think you're right that my comments are perhaps a little over the top but as a Dad yourself you'll understand that your kids mean everything...there would be no punishment suitable for taking away my kids and for those that keep saying he's served his time I would say compared to waking up every day without what for most parents is their reason for living is not comparable. I just know that without my girls I would find it very difficult to go on and the fact it was completely avoidable....twice...3 times...4 times over the limit it makes no odds. He wouldn't have killed those kids if he hadn't been drinking.

I guess I maybe swayed by the fact I was nearly killed by a drink driver who left me for dead when I was 18 but I do think I'd still be of the same mind if that hadn't have happened. I'll agree to disagree with you on this occasion Otis and I probably wouldn't take the law into my own hands...but the law needs to reflect what has been taken away from a family and in this case as far as I'm concerned it hasn't. I have to confess I know Luke as he was in the same class at Wiseman as my nephew and I can confirm he's a lovely guy. To me though that should never be a factor when a family has been ripped apart through no fault of their own.

Last edited:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Not like you to sit on the fence, Houch.

As I said in an earlier post, Otis, I lost my sister to a pissed up driver. She was 23 years old, married with three kids. Her youngest two never knew their mum. My neice (her youngest) is now a motor-cycle paramedic in Essex (where they were brought up). I am so proud of her. She still has pictures of my sister all over her front room, even though she never knew her mum. She often asks me "What was my mum like Uncle Baz?" Do you know how hard it is to tell her that she was a beautiful person whose life was snuffed out by a drunken bastard because he was in a hurry to get home? All this happened in 1972 - long before most of you on here were even born, but I still have the memories of the day I was told my sister had been killed.
Remorse? I couldn't give a shit if he crawled on his belly and BEGGED my forgiveness. I would still take a gun to his head even today after all these years.

torchomatic

It was no doubt important with regards to his sentence, but not for the family of his victims.

Very, very important that he did show remorse, Torch. Makes one hell of a difference in terms of rehabilitation.

You would rather he showed no remorse then? :thinking about:

Brighton Sky Blue

It's clearly an emotional subject for people and that's got to be respected when looking at it from the outside in. Me, I've spent the last part of my walk today walking 6 odd miles on a narrow road to Brighton with little space on the sides; there's few things more petrifying as a walker than idiots speeding round the corners of country roads. Being drunk and doing it's one thing, doing it sober and knowing full well what you're doing is another.

Grendel

HH that is a very sad tale, also very brave of you to express it on this forum. Unfortunately in today's society the victim and the ones immediately effected by such trauma are never given any consideration.

Remorse is an easy emotion to express if caught. It is unrealistic for the perpetrator in this instance to have a life sentence as the crime was not premeditated. What is realistic is not to expect him to again reap the rewards football can bring. He should not be employed in the profession again. If he wants to make amends in some way dedicate his time to charitable causes where he can have an impact. The fact he hasn't and I'd quickly seeking re employment leads one to question how deep such remorse is.
Football sometimes does itself no favours. Some encourage the antics of a Barton, some even see the snarling yob John terry as a man fit to captain the country. Football is sometimes its own worst enemy,

Astute

As I said in an earlier post, Otis, I lost my sister to a pissed up driver. She was 23 years old, married with three kids. Her youngest two never knew their mum. My neice (her youngest) is now a motor-cycle paramedic in Essex (where they were brought up). I am so proud of her. She still has pictures of my sister all over her front room, even though she never knew her mum. She often asks me "What was my mum like Uncle Baz?" Do you know how hard it is to tell her that she was a beautiful person whose life was snuffed out by a drunken bastard because he was in a hurry to get home? All this happened in 1972 - long before most of you on here were even born, but I still have the memories of the day I was told my sister had been killed.
Remorse? I couldn't give a shit if he crawled on his belly and BEGGED my forgiveness. I would still take a gun to his head even today after all these years.

For all those sticking up for him read this quote from HH and think.

1972. Sounds like a long time ago. It was a long time ago. 40 years ago.

40 years ago I was 4. In this time I have grown up from a 4 year old. I have done many things. I have had 7 kids. I have enjoyed life. 40 years ago this choice was taken away from someone. 40 years ago pain was put upon a family. 40 years ago children were left without their mother. This will not have been forgotten. Yet some people think that all should be forgiven and forgotten.

HH, I feel for you. I am sorry some people do not understand. I feel bad enough losing friends to the same reason. Losing family must be worse. No wonder it still happens when some people accept it so easily. 3 years for devastating lives? Get real.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread