Luke McCormick (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not sure tbh. If i was killed in purely accidental measures i dont think i'd want to ruin that persons life by sending them to prison. They'd have to live with the guilt.

Except you wouldn't have the choice-you'd be dead.

wingy

I have 4 kids with driving licenses. None of them would dare do it. All my kids know right from wrong(other than my 2 year old) and even my 19 year old lad who was a bit of a handful at one stage would not. He knows if I ever found out he did D+D he would be in big trouble with me. They have all been brought up to respect the law and not make mistakes like I did.

They have all told me they hate me as they grew up. I am very strict but also very fair. When they all reached about 18 each one has thanked me for bringing them up that way. The 19 yr old said it his own way though :D
I hope they've got a better car than you LOL,i'm sure they know the rules Astute,its been a massive cultural shift in this country over the last 40yrs,god back in the sixties and seventies all those old factory workers were out every night in the working mens clubs glugging back ten or twelve pints of Bitter & mild most nights of the week and hiding their pay packets from the missus ,pot bellies every where. I hate to say it but my old fella used to stick the Zodiac in the ditch at least once a month,no one seemed to bat an eyelid ,a quick knock on the local farmers door in the morning who also liked a few,and the tractor was out .The punishment should definately fit the crime ,but we've become a blame based society on many fronts .Is McCormick any worse than one of those Beamer driving Execs cutting across three lanes of traffic to hit that exit at the last minute causing a pile up with death as as result?Of course ! but how much worse, should the consequence when sentence is served be any different.IT seems its impossible to just have an accident nowadays,people randomly arrested after an accident on numorous occassions.Ive been driving for thirty three years now ,accident free still paying close to £700 a year would you believe it ,for a 22yr old Saab 900 Classic turbo.I'd say i've probably had two or three close ones ,once in a 7.5 tonner cutting back in on the motorway and missing a car in the blindspot,Same in a car but pulling out to overtake.if i'd connected that would probably lead to an arrest these days ,but both were related to the work i do involved 5am starts travelling to london doing a minimum 10 hour physical shift and getting back again ,all to save the employer a nights digs and expenses but i would have been the criminal,sorry for rambling.:facepalm:

Last edited:

torchomatic

Jesus! And you support Coventry City too. Poor sod. **

I got bullied near enough every day for a year. I got severe depression and tried to commit suicide. I'm surprised i'm still alive.

**This is an obvious joke, I am in no way condoning bullying, etc. Just thought I'd make that clear!

torchomatic

Can't see the difference between the two, to be honest LBB. McCormick killed two kids and will also have that lifestyle. They're both twats. No worse or better than the other.

Whether McCormick is a good bloke or not makes little difference.

He chose to drink and drive and the consequences are there for the parents of those kids who suffered because of HIS mistake to bear for the rest of their lives.

Should he get abuse? Difficult one as he has shown remorse.

As for that prick, Hughes, he is a complete twat who served a pitiful sentence as has resumed a lifestyle beyond the wildest dreams of the vast majority....yes, give him loads of abuse.

Astute

My car in the pic as standard is a group 19. Mine isn't standard. I pay £290 no claims protected. Never even scratched a car. Never had any points.

An accident is an accident. If you are p!ssed or are driving dangerously it is not an accident. The odds are you would do at least 3 years if you crashed and killed someone whilst on a mobile. Is this as bad as being p!ssed?

Sumo the Micky Quinn

THIS IS WHAT I HATE ABOUT THE UK.

Drinking & Driving IS NOT AN ACCIDENT.

If you go to a pub before you order your first drink YOU KNOW how you are getting home, walk,Taxi or your car keys in YOUR pocket.

Wedding Reception - You are staying over night at the hotel if you have travelled, Taxi or what ever.

When ever I went out and it was my turn to drive I would just drink Cola, my mates would take the piss, but I needed my licence more than a drink, I'm a profession driver. But I have always been like that ever since I got my licence.

I used to get tired of friends and reletaives saying I'll only have one, then it becomes another, then another. It used to anoy me when people go into a pub and say 2 pints is ok. I can't wait for my father-in law to get caught because he thinks he imune from being caught because he dose it so often. However what makes it worse is he is a Taxi driver in Nuneaton, I'll be honest he dosn't drink when on duty, but he dose use his taxi when he has had a drink, so he dosn't get pulled.

Here in Spain the police pull over everything, I seen taxi's pulled over, I've even been pulled over on 5 occasions for 'On the Spot checks' whilst driving a bus. Your chance of getting caught here are very high, hence why a lot of spanish will drink more soft drink or non-alcholic beers. Last night me and my wife were on our roof terrace at 1am watching the police radomly stopping cars, I could hear one car being fined for not stopping at Stop sign. It's not just at that time I used to drive a bus around around where I live from 10am - 9pm and each day I would go past a police stop area at least 5 times every day from different locations each time. So be careful when on holiday!

Grendel

My car in the pic as standard is a group 19. Mine isn't standard. I pay £290 no claims protected. Never even scratched a car. Never had any points.

What is your car out of interest? Is it an Aston? You only get points for slow driving where you live don't they?

torchomatic

It's a Fiat Coupe. I'm a Fiat man myself.

Grendel

You see what I mean about being attacked....Arseholes will as arseholes must.....Hows how is the Wanker....errrmmmm Wankel rotary engine shit tip going kduffy???:slap:

Sorry I know it's a skoda estelle really. Please accept my apologies.

Grendel

Grendel

Someones got a preoccupation with the Communist bloc

It must be Freudian - and I have to confess to owning one of those 3 at one point in my life....:facepalm::facepalm:

ccfcchris

Personally, I hope his crime haunts him every moment he's awake and gives him nightmares every moment he sleeps.

I'm actually quite shocked that you can be so vindictive. Yes he made a horrible mistake and deserved to punished probably for longer than he did but are you saying he should never be able to try and rebuild his life or even work again.
If so I'm assuming you would have been happier if he got life? I can understand that but to wish him suffering every waking hour like groundhog day I'm not so sure.

torchomatic

You'll get no apologies from me. He has disabled a father, killed two young children. A family will be without their children. They will be "suffering every waking hour like groundhog day", so why shouldn't he? It seems to be difficult for some one here, but he's not the victim in this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7654430.stm

I'm actually quite shocked that you can be so vindictive. Yes he made a horrible mistake and deserved to punished probably for longer than he did but are you saying he should never be able to try and rebuild his life or even work again.
If so I'm assuming you would have been happier if he got life? I can understand that but to wish him suffering every waking hour like groundhog day I'm not so sure.

Astute

No. He should have got a proper prison sentence and then served it all. 3 yeats for what he did? No wonder people still do it. We need deterrants. Get caught D+D lose your licence at least 2 years. Get caught again go to prison. Get caught driving whilst banned go to prison. Car crimes would go down if punished properly. Small fines that don't get paid or community service that don't get served don't work. Kill someone when you should not be on the road and get 10 years minimum. Serve it all as well.

Sky Blue Kid

King, Hughes, and McCormick, should have served far longer sentences than they actually did. Whilst not condoning what all three have done, McCormick is the only one who has shown remorse...As scant as that is.....Not good enough! but better than nothing, as in King, and Hughes case.

Sky Blue Kid

I'm definitely not condoning Luke or what he did but I do wish people knew ALL the facts and not just comment on what they've read in the media.

With respect, what else do we need to know?...As remoresful as he maybe, He killed two children and crippled their father. That's as much as we need to know. There are NO mitigating circumstances. He Drank, He drove, He killed and crippled, what else is there to say?

Sumo the Micky Quinn

No. He should have got a proper prison sentence and then served it all. 3 yeats for what he did? No wonder people still do it. We need deterrants. Get caught D+D lose your licence at least 2 years. Get caught again go to prison. Get caught driving whilst banned go to prison. Car crimes would go down if punished properly. Small fines that don't get paid or community service that don't get served don't work. Kill someone when you should not be on the road and get 10 years minimum. Serve it all as well.

I used to get slated for saying this but the biggest deterrant should be, actually getting caught, not just the sentance, However I do think the sentance for drinking & driving is a joke.

If the police did have a purge, more than they do at Christmas, by having police stop checks outside pubs all evening, then the next night at another pub nearby, until the message get across. Then just as they see the number of arrests drop to about 0, go back out and remind people by having more checks.
In the four years I've been here I have been stopped more times by the police, than in 18 yrs of driving in the UK, which incudentally was only once, on the Radford Road, Christmas 2005 driving home from work, and on that occasion it was when the police did a 'stop all traffic', no reason needed. The police here do not have to have a reason to stop you.

The police are also persistent here I know a lady here who was on her mobile whilst driving leaving her work place, she was pulled over about 2 miles from her work place, with 2 police cars screaching in front of her blocking her, just like you see in the films, she though she was going getting fitted up for murder. She was heavly fined on the spot, with the option of paying double within 7 days at a police station or then possibly paying 4x more with points if she wanted to go to court.

Last edited:

Delboycov

I'm absoluely amazed you think that's vindictive! The parents will suffer every day of their waking hour and not in the same way he will...as I said before he'll at least have the privelege of seeing his children grow up...and not from a wheelchair. Yes I do hope he is haunted for the rest of his life for what he did...I hope his life is a misery but I'll guarantee it will be nothing compared to what those parents will go through. The sentence was pathetic and if he'd done that to my 2 daughters he wouldn't be alive now.

Astute

Well said Delboy.

For anyone that says he has done his time and everything should be forgotten answer one question. Would you be so forgiving if it had happened to you or even anyone close to you?

I guessed not. Just because something happens to soneone you don't know it don't make it less of a crime. He was p!ssed and driving over 100mph.

sylus

I'm absoluely amazed you think that's vindictive! The parents will suffer every day of their waking hour and not in the same way he will...as I said before he'll at least have the privelege of seeing his children grow up...and not from a wheelchair. Yes I do hope he is haunted for the rest of his life for what he did...I hope his life is a misery but I'll guarantee it will be nothing compared to what those parents will go through. The sentence was pathetic and if he'd done that to my 2 daughters he wouldn't be alive now.

absolutely..i am still amazed people still go out and drink and then get behind the wheel and drive home,unbelieveable really. i also hate the thought that these tossers hughes and McCormick walk straight back into football like its ok or something,it makes me feel sick,and i had dealings with the graham family in my line of work after the lee hughes saga.both hughes and McCormick are both fucking :jerkit:,and anybody else who drinks and drive.

Otis

In my working life it has been quite the norm for many, many, many work colleagues to drink and drive.

It's a lot more rife than people on here are making out. And though I am not condoning it in any shape or form, and I hate to see anyone drink and drive, McCormick was only twice over the limit. As I say, if I am driving I don't touch a single drop and it should be a zero tolerance policy that should be in force, but there are I would guess absolutely huge masses of people who drive home twice over the limit regularly.

I used to work with a guy who would have 6 pints at lunchtime and then a further 8 or so at night and he drove to work every morning for about 25 years. He never ever appeared drunk and seemed well in control of his faculties. I have no idea how he did it!

The point I am making here that it can be quite often the case that someone feels they are okay to drive ... when obviously the reality is that the law says that they are not.

Just as dangerous as someone twice over the limit is anyone driving while on their mobile phones. Really bugs me to see it and it is such a regular occurrence and so many people are doing it.

I'm not excusing what he did and of course over the limit is over the limit, but I have had to talk many a person out of driving when they have seemed okay in themselves despite obviously being over the limit.

I am totally against drink driving, as I am of people driving while chatting on their mobile phones and of people speeding.

To my mind it is obviously the speeding thing to blame here as much as anything else.

To sum up here though, yes, the sentence was too lenient. Trouble is, that is not Luke McCormick's fault is it. If he's done his time and is released I'm not quite sure what people expect him to do!

As someone said earlier, it was a horrible mistake. If he is the nice guy people have said he is then I bet there is not a single day that passes by without him relieving the terrible moment.

He's done his time, shown remorse and is now a free citizen. I am sure he will carry the memory of that terrible day to his grave. Is that now not punishment enough?

I'm not saying anyone should forgive him. At the same time though, he has the right to earn and living and his living is as a footballer.

If it ever happened to my daughter and the bloke showed complete remorse, I am not sure I would forgive him, but I would be a lot more at peace knowing that he had to face the same sentence every single day for the rest of his life. i certainly wouldn't be seeking revenge though. Not he was sincerely remorseful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread