Luck of the Irish (1 Viewer)

JonesBob

It's been a while since we have had a few Irish lads in the first team squad and it was about time that we did. Same can actually be said for Welsh players. I had to laugh at the interview with one of the players, the reporter asked if he was looking forward to following in the footsteps of many famous Irish players at the club like Keane, Doyla and Breen, really Doyle? We have had some good players and I particularly liked Gerry Daly.

Offhegoes

What about Steve Staunton, Michael O'Neil, Rory O'Donovan, Willie Boland, Stephen Hunt or Graham Barrett?

slowpoke

It's been a while since we have had a few Irish lads in the first team squad and it was about time that we did. Same can actually be said for Welsh players. I had to laugh at the interview with one of the players, the reporter asked if he was looking forward to following in the footsteps of many famous Irish players at the club like Keane, Doyla and Breen, really Doyle? We have had some good players and I particularly liked Gerry Daly.
Started for me with Willie Humphries, then we had Dave Clements a huge factor in our 1967 promotion year sadly sold on but went on to captain Everton for a while & Northern Ireland.

fernandopartridge

Irish XI (assume players were at their peak)

GK: Joe Murphy
RB: Maurice Setters
CB: Gary Breen
CB: Phil Babb
LB: Jimmy Holmes
MF: Kevin Kilbane
MF: Gerry Daly
MF: Lee Carsley
MF: Jay Tabb
ST: Robbie Keane
ST: Leon Best

Subs:
Cyrus Christie
Clinton Morrison
Steve Staunton
Michael Doyle
Liam Daish
Willie Boland

Robinshio

Subs:
Cyrus Christie
Clinton Morrison
Steve Staunton
Michael Doyle
Liam Daish
Willie Boland
well if we didnt assume they were at their peak we would have a corpse at RB

ms639

Why is it 'about time' that we had Irish players in our squad? 😂

JonesBob

Does anyone remember Jim Hagan coming over in 1977 as a youngster. i remember it clearly in the CET, but there was also another Irish lad that came over at the same time, does anyone remember?

ajl

Subs:
Cyrus Christie
Clinton Morrison
Steve Staunton
Michael Doyle
Liam Daish
Willie Boland
Murphy over Westwood?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

LastGarrison

Why is it 'about time' that we had Irish players in our squad? 😂
I’m assuming he means that as Ireland are part of the Common Travel Agreement and therefore not bound by the same post-Brexit freedom of movement restrictions that it is recruitment area that we should be exploring? Or not.

One of the two.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Is Callum O'Hare eligible to play for Ireland?

nicksar

Two Irish players that I thought would be good for us were Donal Murphy who scored 10 goals in 43 games for us in the 70's,always surprised me that he didn't get as many games as i thought he should,was outstanding in the reserve side.
Tony Sheridan was an outstanding young talent in the early 90's but sadly he was a pisshead.

Briles

I've got a good feeling about maguire. Watch this space.

clint van damme

With a surname like O'HARE he must have some Irish blood in him and hasn't played for England so could play for Ireland. After all Ireland take anyone these days.

He has got Irish blood, he used to play Gaelic football but his ancestry goes to far back, (think it's his great grand parents).

Users who are viewing this thread