Love the comment on Adam Barton;s wiki page (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

Barton was named in a Northern Ireland squad in September 2010, having previous been named to the under 21s team, qualifying for the country through his parents. He withdrew from the squad the day after its announcement, however, rather than lose eligibility for the England team by playing in a competitive international

bringbackrattles

Barton was named in a Northern Ireland squad in September 2010, having previous been named to the under 21s team, qualifying for the country through his parents. He withdrew from the squad the day after its announcement, however, rather than lose eligibility for the England team by playing in a competitive international
You should have titled your thread: You Couldn't Make It Up !

Hobo

Oh well, at least he got himself to where he could make the choice.

A choice you and I never had?

skybluetony176

Have to say I know where AB is coming from on this. Sort off.

I've never been in the position to make his decision but my parentage is also from Northern Ireland but i was born and raised in England and although I'm aware and proud of my roots I feel English, support England and if I ever had have been in his position would have done exactly the same however unlikely the chances of being good enough to play for England. To be blunt playing for Northern Ireland would have felt like cheating my way into the international game and an insult to the good folk of Northern Ireland. I look out for the NI scores, love to see them do well and have even been to see them on one occassion but pulling on any countries shirt has to be done for the right reasons.

Monners

I am English born with Irish (Republic) parents, and several generations before - always wanted to play for Wales though - weird :thinking about:

Users who are viewing this thread