Louis Garner being released (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Andy Turner has just tweeted that Garner has been released. Surprised by that. Been scoring frequently for the U21's. :thinking about:

aodea

yeah saw that myself. only few weeks ago read how he was looking to break into the first team. Suprising but i guess not up to it.

Gint11

I am really suprised by this. I thought he was shaping into a decent prospect. FFS

stupot07

Doesn't surprise me, some youngsters get contracts and some get released. Happens every season at every club. Good luck to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

The Gentleman

So that's 3 youngsters released in a matter of weeks. Garner, Rankin and Maund.

Were we not told recently that academy players will make up the shortfall for the squad next season because of FFP. With these going and possibly more on the way does this mean that we might even see Pressley lace his boots up for next season?

lewys33

Yh confusing when he was supposed to be one of the good up and coming ones. Personal circumstances maybe? Who knows.

chiefdave

Bit strange when it's been said we'll be bring up 11 academy players next season to see players who appear to be doing well are released. You just have to hope that those in charge of these decisions know what they're doing!

RoboCCFC90

I must admit I am surprised by this, Louis Garner seemed to be a very decent prospect.

It's a shame, but probably answers the question of Why didn't Garner feature for us when we were short on players?

The Gentleman

I must admit I am surprised by this, Louis Garner seemed to be a very decent prospect.

It's a shame, but probably answers the question of Why didn't Garner feature for us when we were short on players?

It does beg the question that if he was a good prospect and scoring goals and they let him go, who else from the academy is going to come through? As I said earlier about the club saying about using 11 academy players next season, who is better than him that we haven't heard of?

Joy Division

Generally the club has been justified in who they release and who they keep in the past bar one or two who have slipped through the net. I'm happy to trust the judgment of the staff who see him every day in training.

I remember everyone getting in a sulk about letting Jonson Clarke-Harris go last year, what's he up to now?

hill83

Generally the club has been justified in who they release and who they keep in the past bar one or two who have slipped through the net. I'm happy to trust the judgment of the staff who see him every day in training.

I remember everyone getting in a sulk about letting Jonson Clarke-Harris go last year, what's he up to now?

He played against us in our last game you part timer.

I'm not saying we should have held on to him but he posed more threat than our forwards last Monday and also scored at Sixfields!

Covstu

I think if the club have decided he wont fit into the 1st team setup they have had to let him go. The club unfortunately doesnt have room/or money for people to sit and rot in reserves or the bench and clearly Garner was going to do that. At least in footballing terms we are being decisive about who fits into the squad and who does which i kind of like. Before anyone starts this isnt a pro SISU post just an observation on how we have been moving players on over the last couple of years.

Best of luck to him though.

wingy

Who's ahead of him In the pecking Order ?

They have recently attempted to convert him to a more central role ?

I guess they have some confidence that others will be coming or staying to keep him out of the equation.:thinking about:

So what are you saying?

From what I recall Clarke-Harris had a bit of an attitude problem so probably best to let him go, but looked ok for Oldham on Monday. Callum Wilson had an off day and hardly saw the ball and JCH is def better than Eccleston and any other forward at the club. But as I say, on balance, prob not the right DNA for SP!

japandy

Bit strange when it's been said we'll be bring up 11 academy players next season to see players who appear to be doing well are released. You just have to hope that those in charge of these decisions know what they're doing!
I think some on here berate the club just for the sake of it. 1) They said their 'aim' was to have half the first team squad 'to have come from the academy', NOT 11 players come from the academy each year. 2) On the whole, since we started an academy, the choice of keeping or releasing players has been consistant. We have a few episodes over the past few years where released players have come back to haunt us and then drifted off into oblivion. But, few, if any, have gone onto greater things. The academy is made for two reasons. 1) To bring player through the system on progress into the first team, and 2) to be a means of making money for the club. That is not only the reality of our current plight, but also necessity. Of course if we progress up this league, and the next, we will be in a position to keep the better youngsters, but you all know the reality so don't try to make it into an issue.

mrtrench

3 youngsters with bright futures, low wages and possible high profits. What more do SISU want? Madness letting them go

Have you seen them play? I bet Pressley has - and it would have been him that made the decision. Do you really think that SISU troubles themselves worrying about which Youth Team players we offer contracts too? You are delusional.

James Smith

All we can do is wish him the best of luck at his new club, we don't get the luxury of team/squad decisions. Excluding Text-a-Sub obviously.

stupot07

Knowl on gmk has heard a rumour he turned down a contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread