Lottery (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Anyone still bother?

Brought one today for the first time in about 10 years (had a dream i won it) and just won £30.

All in all though its a massive con. Thoughts?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not a big fan of the massive rollovers. Would prefer it if the jackpot just seeped down to the next level every draw. more people getting a significant payout that although might not be totally life changing could be the difference between perpetually scraping by and living comfortably.

But can understand why they let it build - get silly money jackpots and you get more people playing.

Saddlebrains

I don't play personally as money's quite tight. A friend of a friend won £173k on euromillions the other day.

Money from the tickets goes to good causes, and there is a chance of winning big, no matter how small it is.

If you can afford it, why not.

173k isn't to be sniffed at. Surely that was only 1 number away from the whole shebang?

skybluetony176

Picking up on what BSB said I met some lottery winners about 25 years ago in all places of Douglas in the IOM. I was there with mates to watch the IOM TT. We met them in a bar of a hotel, a Scottish couple with their extended family. Long story short the week they won they decided to take the whole family to the Caribbean, while there they were talking about where they’d all like to go and someone said Australia, so they all went there, while there someone said somewhere else so they went there, then someone said somewhere else until someone said the IOM to watch the TT. They’d basically been on a world tour bender for the 6 months since they’d won with their extended family. About a year later I saw the husband in the National papers, they’d split up, they’d spanked every penny and he was suffering with liver failure.

Don’t think I’ll ever win it myself. Have two extended family members (one paternal and one maternal) who’ve won fair amounts. Not tens of millions but millions so lightning’s already struck twice, can’t see it happening a third time.

LastGarrison

Buy scratch cards pretty often and have done OK. Won £100 the other month and a few £10, £20’s but overall obviously would be down.

Bought two £5 scratch cards earlier with no joy and 5 lucky dips for tonight so we’ll see.

Keep meaning to set up a direct debit for the lottery each week but have still never got round to it!

Terry Gibson's perm

The son of a neighbour of my parents was one of the Corby bus drivers that one he spent a lot very badly and has now died.

I don’t do it as I just can’t be bothered, if I did it and we won big I don’t know what I would do stay in the UK or head off to live elsewhere or a bit of both somewhere on the west of America where you might not stand out so much there aren’t many Ferrari in Nuneaton. I would fly to the USA first class every week to watch the Seahawks until I get bored.

Sorry no interest In buying a debt ridden football club.

Last edited:

cowboy1850

About 6 years ago my mum got 5 numbers and won just over £1000. Nice but not life changing. I doubt I'll ever know anyone again that gets 5 numbers.

I play it every week and infrequently win a lucky dip. I haven't gotten 3 numbers in years. The frequent roll overs makes me think it's a bit of a con.

Jamiepwns

173k isn't to be sniffed at. Surely that was only 1 number away from the whole shebang?

Sorry it was actually £119k not 173. Suppose if they're careful they'll get by 😂. It was 5 numbers and one lucky star, he only bought the ticket because he needed to buy carrots and it wasn't enough to cover the minimum charge for the card machine!

Adge

About 6 years ago my mum got 5 numbers and won just over £1000. Nice but not life changing. I doubt I'll ever know anyone again that gets 5 numbers.

I play it every week and infrequently win a lucky dip. I haven't gotten 3 numbers in years. The frequent roll overs makes me think it's a bit of a con.
Yes-happened to a friend of mine (who unfortunately now is dead) and she rang us after matching 5 plus the bonus a fair few years back and she was a bag of nerves at the time. She said they were going to ring her back and when they did it was only £1200 odd.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I do the National Lottery every Saturday. I pay a tenner each month (or £8 if only 4 saturdays that month). It's direct debit so I don't tend to miss it. The missus does the Post Code lottery by direct debit each month as well. Won a few tenners on that and also a few £30's on the Nat. Lottery. I'm thinking of changing my numbers though. I don't think 1,2,3,4,5,6 will ever come out in that order! 😂

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I actually know/knew three jackpot winners. One lives near me (still, despite the money), the other was my best mate's dad as part of a syndicate and the other was the dad of a girl I worked with.

On the rare occassions I do it rarely even get a number. Won a couple of tenners and a couple of free goes. I appear to be lucky for other people.

Terry Gibson's perm

I do the National Lottery every Saturday. I pay a tenner each month (or £8 if only 4 saturdays that month). It's direct debit so I don't tend to miss it. The missus does the Post Code lottery by direct debit each month as well. Won a few tenners on that and also a few £30's on the Nat. Lottery. I'm thinking of changing my numbers though. I don't think 1,2,3,4,5,6 will ever come out in that order! 😂

If it does you will be sharing it with a lot of people as I think that is the most popular combination

Covkid1968#

Member of the family won it... part of a syndicate. £3m each. They couldn’t be clearer... the worst thing that ever happened to them. It’s brought nothing but misery to their lives. I stopped playing it based on their experience

Saddlebrains

Member of the family won it... part of a syndicate. £3m each. They couldn’t be clearer... the worst thing that ever happened to them. It’s brought nothing but misery to their lives. I stopped playing it based on their experience

See i dont understand this. Seen a few articles with winners that say the same. Surely the fact you're always going to be financially secure is a good thing?

SBAndy

Don’t really do the normal lottery but I do enter the daily Sky Lotto (linked to SkyBet). Free to enter, jackpot of £25k except for Friday when it’s £250k. Obviously there as a loss-leader to tempt you into betting but as long as you have the right mentality you’re fine. They also offer one free spin a day on Sky Vegas so started doing that as well recently. Biggest win on the Lotto was £25, but mostly win a few pennies and then when I get up to £1 I’ll put a bet on with it. Haven’t put money of my own into a betting account for quite a while.

LastGarrison

I actually know/knew three jackpot winners. One lives near me (still, despite the money), the other was my best mate's dad as part of a syndicate and the other was the dad of a girl I worked with.

On the rare occassions I do it rarely even get a number. Won a couple of tenners and a couple of free goes. I appear to be lucky for other people.
Just sent you a friend request. 👍

Terry Gibson's perm

I can’t really see any down sides with winning and if you win and really hate it then give it all away, but it would be nice to have the option.

skybluetony176

See i dont understand this. Seen a few articles with winners that say the same. Surely the fact you're always going to be financially secure is a good thing?
The one’s I’ve read about that ended in misery are typically the ones who think it’s going to be a bottomless pit of money and live like every day is a holiday, right up until the point where they realise they’ve reached the end of the bottomless pit.

ajsccfc

I picked numbers for whichever birthday makes you old enough to play (16?) and stupidly kept playing them for fear of stopping and them then coming up the next week, as remote was that may be. After about 20 years of the odd tenner win and not wanting to work out how much I've spent I stopped and just avoid the results when they come up, just in case

Covkid1968#

That’s the thing though....financial security but it comes with the following downsides
1. Taxi driver for years with same group of mates having the crack.... all lost
2. Kids had to change school because of threats to them
3. Move out of nice community with real mates you could go for a pint with... all gone
4. Eldest son carried on work but worked for prison service job he loved but had to stop as word got out

it’s a world of shite.... where mates known for years act differently andyou become paranoid.

they didn’t go public but one of the sons is a gob shite and couldn’t keep it in the bag...flash cars etc. They get begging letters all the time (although most are from me😎)

last time I saw the family all together was at a funeral and the mum was emptying the buffet sausage rolls into a bag for later so they didn’t go to waste.... which made me smile. So still Working class people deep down but can’t mix with their own people and put in a place they don’t want to be in through a lottery win!!! It’s quite sad to see how it all unfolds...

Users who are viewing this thread