Lost the Dressing Room (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I hear Dabo now speaks in a Steve McLaren-esque Dutch accent to make himself seem more foreign.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

And rides a bike plus is trying to put a windmill in his back garden

D

Deleted member 11652

Yep Hamer the only one that’s worked and even then, we need to make a profit in the summer for that to be considered a success.

If he continues his current form into next season, he will have been a failure too

ccfcricoh

if
Yep Hamer the only one that’s worked and even then, we need to make a profit in the summer for that to be considered a success.

If he continues his current form into next season, he will have been a failure too
If we stay up this year, the Hamer signing has been a success, even if he left on a free or never played for us again (neither of which will happen clearly). The points he has got us this season are i imagine more than any other player with his goals and assists, and staying in the Championship is worth a hell of a lot more than £1.2m.

Evo1883

That’s not the point. It’s not overseas players who are being criticised it’s our overseas scouting process. Which is the same process that will have identified Dabo and Østigård.

You might have me on politics , but I'm comfortable to take you on in football ..

He isn't an overseas player

Evo1883

😂

But you accept he did come through the overseas recruitment process?

I think viveash having worked with him for a couple years has more a part to play than his time abroad , however badlan says he's watched dabo since he was 16

He's not an overseas player

Last edited:

shmmeee

I think viveash having worked with him for a couple years has more a part to play than his time abroad .

He's not an overseas player

Fair enough if you think Viveash’s experience with him for a year two years earlier had more impact than any scouting of him since. What about Østigård?

Would you also write off our lower league scouting that produced McCallum but also Boswe or whatever his name was an Allassani? Or our English scouting that got us Godden but also Brown, or our youth scouting that got us O’Hare but also Wakefield?

Regardless of your argument for classification, writing off an entire scouting process because not every player was a success is silly.

PVA

Not one person as far as I can see has called Dabo or Chelsea foreign.

If people want to think Viveash just called up Dabo and that was as far as the scouting went then fair enough but that's clearly nonsense.

D

Deleted member 11652

If people want to think Viveash just called up Dabo and that was as far as the scouting went then fair enough but that's clearly nonsense.

He’d already played well at league one level and was known to Viveash, he wasn’t an overseas punt like all the other failures have been.

NorthernWisdom

Fair enough if you think Viveash’s experience with him for a year two years earlier had more impact than any scouting of him since. What about Østigård?

Would you also write off our lower league scouting that produced McCallum but also Boswe or whatever his name was an Allassani? Or our English scouting that got us Godden but also Brown, or our youth scouting that got us O’Hare but also Wakefield?

Regardless of your argument for classification, writing off an entire scouting process because not every player was a success is silly.
I won't write it off, and I'd see Kasteneer along the lines of some of our more random non league puts, tbh - a gamble that you hope you can make good... but probably won't. I won't blame anybody for trying them, or Hilssner, who obviously has 'something' but, for whatever reason, seems unlikely to step it up beyond a lower league level.

At the same time, it's not unfair to suggest that our overseas recruitment hasn't come up with many successes. On a longer term note, you could suggest the club started to turn around when it stopped trying to pick up the occasional random foreigner, and focussed on proven talent and potential from the leagues it's competing in. If nothing else, you'll (probably!) find it easier to settle moving from Bristol to Coventry - could even live halfway in Worcester ;)

Evo1883

All I've really done is state what an overseas player is .
Osti joined Brighton from abroad having never played in England...he's the definition of an overseas player

Our recruitment success rate in general has been pretty good , however when it comes to overseas players it's been a little bit more lacklustre .
Which makes sense when you consider for example the level at which the French 2nd tier is at as opposed to the English championship it's alot harder to find hidden gems that are capable of adapting to this division

I thought that was a reasonable assumption to make

Last edited:

Evo1883

It is nonsense , badlan I believe stated he's watched dabo since he was 16 .

However viveash probably was what ultimately drove dabos decision

All this though is irrelevant when we are talking about whether dabo is an overseas player ...he's not

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Because he’s one of the best attacking players in the squad, he wouldn’t have been happy being asked to play RWB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with this argument being that he played quite regularly at RWB in Holland.

NorthernWisdom

It is nonsense , badlan I believe stated he's watched dabo since he was 16 .

However viveash probably was what ultimately drove dabos decision
It's not unreasonable, either, in the knowledge that Chelsea U23 Dujon Sterling was only a season loan, for Robins, Viveash, Badlan etc. to have a chat about who they were aware of, who might make a half decent RWB. Dabo's hardly an unknown quantity who they turned up after scouring the depths of Europe!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I would guess he will go back in the summer so that’s hardly then been a success either

Only reason that might happen is he's struggling to settle here.

I think some of his poor form is down to playing a lot of games in a far more intense league than he's used to. I think Hyam's deficiencies have also become more apparent due to the amount of games at a higher level. Both needed resting ages ago.

cc84cov

Come on now enough with the Dutch references it's shtupid
It’s an attempt to claim dabo was from abroad to defend the clubs shockingly shit Foreign signings,AV links is why he come regardless of mr “coup” claiming it,as someone mentioned above it was the same with Sterling & Wakefield

Otis

To be fair, the name Dabo does sound foreign and I never came across a single Fankaty throughout my entire years of education.

The nearest we got to someone foreign at our school was a girl called Deirdre.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Without doubt he will have been scouted in Holland. But I reckon the decision to scout him may well have been the recommendation of Viveash rather than scouts identifying him without prior knowledge.

Badlan may well have had an eye on him since he was 16, but he was nowhere near his overseas loans at that stage - very much one flagged up domestically if that was the case.

wingy

To be fair, the name Dabo does sound foreign and I never came across a single Fankaty throughout my entire years of education.

The nearest we got to someone foreign at our school was a girl called Deirdre.
Or Miriam?

Irish Sky Blue

You said the club we got him from. Although technically a free agent his last registered club was Chelsea. So he wasn't an overseas signing by the criteria you gave.
No, I said the team he played for was overseas,I didn’t mention anything about signing from an overseas club. The important point is that he was playing in the Dutch league, the league in which he was scouted in, unless we decided to sign him based on his youth team performances and 15 games for Swindon.
That does seem unlikely so the probability is he came using the same path as Kastaneer and then this season, Hamer. No doubt Vibash and his previous knowledge of Dabo played a big part, but you’re saying he wasn’t watched and reported on in Holland? A decision was made purely because he was known by Badland and Vibash with no account taken of his time in senior football?
The point that was made and conveniently missed or skewed is that Dabo played for teams on the continent as did Hilsner, Jobello, Hamer and Kastaneer, a mixture of English, French, Dutch and German players. They would all have been scouted and reported on by the same people using the same criteria. Some have definitely worked, but at the moment only Kastaneer has definitely failed.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No, I said the team he played for was overseas,I didn’t mention anything about signing from an overseas club.

I would have thought that the definition of an overseas signing is the location that you get the player from, not their nationality.

The location we got him from was Chelsea. That was the last club he was contracted to before he became a free agent. His loan finished before his Chelsea contract ran out.

Users who are viewing this thread