Lost the Dressing Room (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

Surely as soon as he arrived here he wasn’t an overseas player

Irish Sky Blue

Just to clarify. Grendle was criticising the recruitment of overseas players. My point is that the same team who tracked and recruited Kasteneer, would be the same people who watched and recruited Dabo and Hamer. It wouldn't have mattered whether Dabo was English or Dutch.

NorthernWisdom

The point being made was that our recruitment of players playing for overseas clubs has been poor. Dabo, just like Hamer, Jobello, Hilsner and Kastaneer was signed after his performances in an overseas league.
Chelsea academy product signs for club where former Chelsea academy coach is now assistant manager. First day at training they recognise each other, 'I didn't know you were foreign now?' says former Chelsea academy coach, oblivious to the signing until now.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s a boring cliche - what isn’t is;

playing a dud in goal above the number 1
Playing Hyam week in week out when there are better options
signing overseas duds
Not considering Eccles or pask unless you have to
Playing biamou week in week out with no cause
Constant negative fearful tactics

These things are more worthy of discussion
I only think the negative tactics are worthy of discussion. The others are all opinions

Frostie

Your definition is right, his is wrong and makes no sense.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

In terms of defining an "overseas" player then yes of course. I think the point he's actually trying to make though is that they all went through the same recruitment process which is correct.

stupot07

Just to clarify. Grendle was criticising the recruitment of overseas players. My point is that the same team who tracked and recruited Kasteneer, would be the same people who watched and recruited Dabo and Hamer. It wouldn't have mattered whether Dabo was English or Dutch.
Dabo isn't an overseas player. It was a Chelsea player who was on loan in Holland. He also had a loan spell in league one at Swindon. He's also been watched over a number or years right through from an u16.

“It’s obvious to put two and two together because Adi knows Dabo,” said Badlan, “but from my history I have known him since he was an Under-16 at Chelsea.
“It’s one where I have watched him in my previous posts at Wolves and Norwich, following his progress at Chelsea and with the England youth teams. I also watched him at Vitesse and more recently at Sparta last season.

Our overseas recruitment has been poor, it is ok to admit it. No club gets everything right.

Good - Hamer

So so for league one - Jobello

Shite - Kasteneer, Hilsner, Da Costa

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cc84cov

People arguing over where Dabo come from in an embarrassing attempt to defend the clubs foreign signings 🤣

NorthernWisdom

Dabo isn't an overseas player. It was a Chelsea player who was on loan in Holland. He also had a loan spell in league one at Swindon. He's also been watched over a number or years right through from an u16.

“It’s obvious to put two and two together because Adi knows Dabo,” said Badlan, “but from my history I have known him since he was an Under-16 at Chelsea.
“It’s one where I have watched him in my previous posts at Wolves and Norwich, following his progress at Chelsea and with the England youth teams. I also watched him at Vitesse and more recently at Sparta last season.

Our overseas recruitment has been poor, it is ok to admit it. No club gets everything right.

Good - Hamer

And tbh I have no problem with the random punts, either. Chances are they won't work, but we have to take a risk somewhere. They haven't worked, of course(!)

Irish Sky Blue

Chelsea academy product signs for club where former Chelsea academy coach is now assistant manager. First day at training they recognise each other, 'I didn't know you were foreign now?' says former Chelsea academy coach, oblivious to the signing until now.
So Dabo plays in Holland for two years but no account is taken as to how he played for his two clubs there,his signing for us is purely based on what Vibash knew of him from Chelsea?
I'm pretty sure that the same person/ people who watched Kasteneer (perhaps Badland himself), compiled and supplied the club with reports on him as they would have done with Dabo (and Hamer too). Dabo was Last year's player of the season, Kasteneer, as Grendle says, has been a bit of a dud. What isn't true, which is what he was saying, is that all players brought in by the same process have been failures, Hamer and Dabo proving this to be wrong.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Good - Hamer

And again, you could easily add Ostigard to that list.

Grendel

So Dabo plays in Holland for two years but no account is taken as to how he played for his two clubs there,his signing for us is purely based on what Vibash knew of him from Chelsea?
I'm pretty sure that the same person/ people who watched Kasteneer (perhaps Badlands himself), compiled and supplied the club with reports on him as they would have done with Dabo (and Hamer too). Dabo was Last year's player of the season, Kasteneer, as Grendle says, has been a bit of a dud. What isn't true, which is what he was saying, is that all players brought in by the same process have been failures, Hamer and Dabo proving this to be wrong.

Dabo is t an overseas player and was recruited as the club had established links with the Chelsea academy - Sterling and Wakefield being other examples

Irish Sky Blue

Dabo is t an overseas player and was recruited as the club had established links with the Chelsea academy - Sterling and Wakefield being other examples
Label it how you want. Dabo played in the same league as Kasteneer and Hamer, the olnly substantial amount of senior football he played before joining us. How he did in Holland would have played a major part in whether we signed him or not. No doubt that his previous Chelsea connections played a big part in his signing too. If his form and attitude in Holland. hadn't been right, as with Hamer, I doubt we would have signed him.

skybluetony176

I only think the negative tactics are worthy of discussion. The others are all opinions
And even then you have to acknowledge that tactics at times this season have been driven by injuries and available players. Lots of praise for starting with Godden and Walker yesterday for instance as a positive tactic. But how many times have they both been available to pick together? Both have had long injury runs and at different times.

PVA

Label it how you want. Dabo played in the same league as Kasteneer and Hamer, the olnly substantial amount of senior football he played before joining us. How he did in Holland would have played a major part in whether we signed him or not. No doubt that his previous Chelsea connections played a big part in his signing too. If his form and attitude in Holland. hadn't been right, as with Hamer, I doubt we would have signed him.

I'm with you.

Nobody is suggesting that Dabo is foreign, or that Chelsea is a foreign club obviously.

But his signing was made based on scouting carried out in Holland, more so than his connections to Viveash.

better days

Yeah just decided to give him a chance in a position he’s completely untested in a relegation battle game, because playing our best player - who has experience playing there doesn’t make more sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's possible that Robins asked Hamer in a private meeting to play there and he refused but I haven't heard that and doubt it was the case
Hamer was on the bench and came on during the game
The same thing happened against Blackburn recently
My own thoughts are that Hamer has been off form lately and needed a rest
He looked well off the pace against QPR

Frostie

I'm with you.

Nobody is suggesting that Dabo is foreign, or that Chelsea is a foreign club obviously.

But his signing was made based on scouting carried out in Holland, more so than his connections to Viveash.

This is correct. Having Viveash here definitely helped Dabo decide we were a good move for him but Viveash had never seen Dabo play a senior game at any level so continued scouting of him was vital.

The one, potentially crucial difference you have with Dabo though is of course there aren't too many doubts about off the field stuff (language, culture, homesickness etc) which is half the uncertainty when signing players from other countries.

Reactions: PVA

cc84cov

Only hamer is overseas player that's worked the rest
Hilsner
Kastaneer
Decosta
Haven't bought anything quality wise into the club .That's a fact.
Dabo is not an overseas player.Another fact.
Hamer wasn’t even a risk we spent £1.2m the biggest since Freddy Eastwood I think the club knew what they were getting,the rest have been utter shite

PVA

Hamer wasn’t even a risk we spent £1.2m the biggest since Freddy Eastwood I think the club knew what they were getting,the rest have been utter shite

Surely that makes it a bigger risk?

Whatever level you're at, the less money you pay the less risky the transfer is, that seems pretty obvious to me.

Grendel

I would guess he will go back in the summer so that’s hardly then been a success either

Evo1883

On another note, I doubt that we will recruit overseas players in the same manner moving forward .

Surely it's not financially viable to have a 20% success rate when bringing these players in

Frostie

On another note, I doubt that we will recruit overseas players in the same manner moving forward .

Surely it's not financially viable to have a 20% success rate when bringing these players in

The point of signing them is that they're more financially viable. Either way though you're right, we won't be able to buy from the same markets going forward due to the new Brexit work permit rules.

Otis

When you say "overseas", what do you mean exactly?

What if we buy a player who was born in Little Venice, London?

Offhegoes

Never thought he'd lost the dressing room, but has to be more positive in team selections as we're not good enough defensively to nick 1-0's away from home, like we did in League 1.

TomRad85

I hear Dabo now speaks in a Steve McLaren-esque Dutch accent to make himself seem more foreign.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread