Lost item tuns up after refund..advice (1 Viewer)

Alkhen

TLDR version: Lost order from Game (owned by Mike Ashley!) turns up after they had issued a refund.. what do I do?

So we ordered our lad a switch and a Pokémon game from Game on black Friday. It was shipped by Evri (Formally Hermes) it failed to turn so up we chased it up after 10 days. Game started an investigation. They came back last Friday 16th and said the item was lost. They refunded the Switch bundle (but not shipping cost! Had to chase that separately)

I then wasted my Sunday driving round trying to find one in stock on a physical store (most places only had pink Switch lites). Found one but it cost more than the offer.

This morning (20th) an Evri driver knocked on our door and dumped a soggy parcel on our doorstep and ran. It was Game parcel which contained my original order?!

I'm an honest kind of guy, if this was a mom and pop store I'd not hesitate but we are talking about Game, owned by one Mike Ashley!

Anyone know where I stand legally? I'm assuming that Game would have insurance? They did an investigation with Evri and concluded it was lost. We have the refund. I understand there are delivery issues and I'd have been fine with that if they had just said it'll be late.. the parcel was 20 days over due

Anyone have any similar experiences? Might just put it to one side and it see what happens?!

fernandopartridge

I'd keep schtum, they're not realistically going to chase it after carrying out their own investigation (they issued the refund based on their own investigation).

Nick

Administrator
Personally my morals change depending on who it is.

If it was a small business or ebay seller etc then I'd be honest but if it was Game then fuck them.

If it was Evri though, their driver might suddenly update the status to say Delivered rather than Lost. If GAME have been paid out by Evri already though they might not care.

I'd just keep it in a cupboard for a bit (or take the new one you bought back) ;)

Alkhen

Just opened the shipping packing fully and the switches box has water damage. I'm sure it is fine inside but would have been very pissed off with the service. Hermes were always awful.

Evo1883

I just had to wait a month for a refund off currys because they're fucking shite

LastGarrison

I think the only right and proper thing to do would be to donate it to a local children's charity and make someone else's Christmas!

Or stick it on eBay! (y)

shmmeee

I think the only right and proper thing to do would be to donate it to a local children's charity and make someone else's Christmas!

Or stick it on eBay! (y)

Fucker, I was going to say sell it but this is clearly the right thing to do.

Alkhen

Or stick it on eBay! (y)
Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

Alkhen

I think something has triggered Games end :( wife got an email with QR code for a shipping lable, she emailed them and said the packaging has disintigrated in the wet. They are now saying that is why they sent the QR code and that once we send it back they can issue a refund or replacement?! basically its all automated and they havent got a clue what is going on

1ccfc

Charities can be funny with electrical items. It's even mentioned the box has water damage. For me it comes down to personal circumstances. If the extra money from selling it would benefit your family, then do it. If you are in a position that you don't need the money, then why not give it to a family you know who would appreciate it.

1ccfc

Forget my last post. The game is up pal. I hope you didn't sell it and spend the money. Honesty is always the best policy. That's what I always say 😁

David O'Day

It's yours legally they've had it covered by insurance so it's written off. Keep one sell one smile at MA Xmas bonus to you!!
It's really not and no it's likely not covered by insurance. Retailers have lost parcel allowances built into their "partnerships" with carriers.

I've worked with retailers on their systems both EPOS and online.

Alkhen

Yep think the writing is on the wall. Shame as I could have gifted it to a niece or nephew.

Just annoying they barely lifted a finger when it was 'lost', we had to then wait 10 more days for an investigation and then they said the refund would take a further 5 working days.

Will drag my heels and kick up a stink about having to find a new box to pack it in plus the fuel used on the drive to the post office. Pricks

duffer

I think something has triggered Games end :( wife got an email with QR code for a shipping lable, she emailed them and said the packaging has disintigrated in the wet. They are now saying that is why they sent the QR code and that once we send it back they can issue a refund or replacement?! basically its all automated and they havent got a clue what is going on

I'd tell them that you haven't got access to a printer and given the packaging isn't secure you're unable to return it until they provide new packaging and a proper label. Mess 'em about a bit.

If you've already had the refund then I think they're screwed unless they recharge your card.

David O'Day

I'd tell them that you haven't got access to a printer and given the packaging isn't secure you're unable to return it until they provide new packaging and a proper label. Mess 'em about a bit.

If you've already had the refund then I think they're screwed unless they recharge your card.
They'll send a QR code backed with an alphanumeric code that can be used to print a label in any Hermes parcel shop.

1ccfc

Can't you just tell them that you want to keep it and get a refund on the second one which cost more? They might not realise they have refunded you, worse case scenario you'll end up paying what you originally expected and balance in the universe will be restored.

Alkhen

Can't you just tell them that you want to keep it and get a refund on the second one which cost more? They might not realise they have refunded you, worse case scenario you'll end up paying what you originally expected and balance in the universe will be restored.
I would but the one Game sent has quite heavily water damaged packaging (the item packaging not just outer parcel) it might be working fine but don't want to break the seal to check. Also it's a gift so would rather it not look battered!

You basically got £20 off the new pokemon game on Black Friday when you brought the switch too so that's all I'm missing out on other than my time!

pipkin73

Been in this situation a few times. In the same way we have to pay for delivery I tell them I don't drive so would cost me to deliver back. I tell them to arrange collection at their expense as it's their fault. Never had it happen, i just keep as a spare or give away, sell on after a month.

David O'Day

I’d mess them about, petty revenge. Tell them you have mobility issues, they need to come and collect it at a time that’s convenient to you.
they'll then just post you a label and book a collection, you aren't messing them about as they'll just send the same carrier company that delivered to collect and it takes 30 seconds to book that. They aren't going to come a pick it up themselves.

There's so many retail myths that people still believe that are nonsense

covcity4life

Keep it bro. Amazon picked up one return from me but marked it down as 2. So I kept it when they didn't return for the second package and my refund was in bank.

You did your bit.

Users who are viewing this thread