Looks like (1 Viewer)

robbiethemole

They do check out forums like this,
Blackburn Rovers winger Tyrhys Dolan says coming off social media has enabled him to boost his mental health as well as his form on the pitch.

it was twatter or X, but players must read what the fans are saying/thinking about them and it has to affect them
Maybe lay off the slagging of players in our team??

Sick Boy

Blackburn Rovers winger Tyrhys Dolan says coming off social media has enabled him to boost his mental health as well as his form on the pitch.

it was twatter or X, but players must read what the fans are saying/thinking about them and it has to affect them
I highly doubt they read these types of forums. It’s more idiots tagging them into posts on social media.

shmmeee

I highly doubt they read these types of forums. It’s more idiots tagging them into posts on social media.

I bet they absolutely do in moments of weakness. Part of the human psyche if you know someone might be talking about you to listen in.

Grendel

I bet they absolutely do in moments of weakness. Part of the human psyche if you know someone might be talking about you to listen in.

Would they care? I wouldn’t.

San Francisco

If it's mindless insults or abuse then obviously. But if it's genuine criticism and/or anger at the fact they're underperforming or just absolute dogshit then perhaps they should pull up their big boy pants and get on with life and start fucking focusing on bettering themselves with training.

Are we just going to keep on infantilising these players?

Brighton Sky Blue

If you know the comments are going to be negative why would you seek them out? In the same way we were told never to look at ‘Rate My Teacher’ I assume the players would be advised not to look on here.

clint van damme

If you know the comments are going to be negative why would you seek them out? In the same way we were told never to look at ‘Rate My Teacher’ I assume the players would be advised not to look on here.

Rate my teacher? Fucking hell, I've heard all now!

What a time to be alive!

NorthernWisdom

Back in GMK days, a Mrs Dean Gordon signed up to ask how her husband was doing. It started off OK, and then the regular posters (not me at that time believe it or not!) tried to be as nice as they could!

The pretence could never last, and Mrs Dean Gordon, real or not, decided it was probably best not to ask how her husband had played at the weekend...

I mean it's a forum, the point is discussion. I happen to think the criticism just atm is wildly OTT and a bit odd but... if we restricted ourselves to positive, what would be the point of here? We don't need a sophisticated AI to just generate a load of posts saying yes and I agree!

Brighton Sky Blue

What a time to be alive!
Doesn't run anymore but it was around from when I was at school through to the first few years I was a teacher. The best comment I ever saw about me was:

'He's a c**t, but I have to be honest, he is also a very effective teacher'. The Craig Bellamy of the teaching profession I take it.

stay_up_skyblues

What a time to be alive!

When the internet was in its early days and I was at school we were always on Rate my Poo. This was before the days of IT departments being able to block websites, or at least at my school anyway. Literally people would upload a picture of their faecal matter and we’d grade it. Many an IT lesson spent on Rotten.com too.

Skyblueweeman

Would they care? I wouldn’t.
Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others wouldn't.

I've spoken to people (not sports people) who've tried to commit suicide over one comment on social media. Admittedly, a bit stronger than a player seeing a comment about poor finishing being lazy etc but still. Different comments affect people in different ways.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure a number of players read the forum.

Reactions: vow

NorthernWisdom

Point still stands that they probably shouldn't, though!

I mean when you're in entertainment, you're always going to get judged on your performance aren't you as what you do opens yourself to public judgement, and better here than a load of people shouting at them in the ground that they're shit.

Grendel

Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others wouldn't.

I've spoken to people (not sports people) who've tried to commit suicide over one comment on social media. Admittedly, a bit stronger than a player seeing a comment about poor finishing being lazy etc but still. Different comments affect people in different ways.

Well then stay off social media in that case

oscillatewildly

Maybe they should take a leaf from Tyrhys Dolan's book?

harvey098

I know two championship players (neither Cov) and I understand that players do look at stuff like this. I can see why it could be hard to resist temptation to see what people are saying about you. Especially after a good goal etc

Alkhen

Bless their little silk socks.
Survival Draining GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

Sick Boy

Doesn't run anymore but it was around from when I was at school through to the first few years I was a teacher. The best comment I ever saw about me was:

'He's a c**t, but I have to be honest, he is also a very effective teacher'. The Craig Bellamy of the teaching profession I take it.
I’d take that as a compliment.

pusbccfc

Some definitely look on here. Maybe not as much as social media, but it's hardly a challenge to open the site up. Ben Wilson said on one of the podcasts that lots of the players listen to them and search their names on twitter.

These are lads with lots of time on their hands, including hours on coaches on the way home sat on iPhones.

AiS86

If only more supporters knew the definition of the word support. Everyone's entitled to a grumble, just do it in the car home or in the pub, but posting it where players can see it is just counterproductive, especially in a game where confidence plays such an important role

Users who are viewing this thread