Long term contact for Thorn (2 Viewers)

dongonzalos

Am I right in thinking or have I got the wrong end of the stick. Are some people suggesting Thorn should get a long term contract and others think those who suggest that have an agenda.

If so what is the agenda?

Last edited:

InterSkyBlues

People very quickly forget Boothroyd, Coleman and Dowie. Thorn may not be experienced and to be honest he may be learning that he can use subs and change formations, but the football that I have seen in the past half season is way way better than anything those three twonks could serve up and they had decent teams to play with. Thorn is a good guy and gets a very hard time from us supporters, personally he has my thumbs up and if he needs time to learn the management game in order for him to become what I think he will become then I hope he gets a long term contract. There' I've said it, I'm pro Thorn and I'm pro not having any old tosser coming in to replace him (the only one I would even half consider is Lee Clark).

What I am anti to is the prat who decided we could survive in the future without a ground........

dongonzalos

West Ham drew nil nil and got booed off. We must be careful if we dont give Thorn a long term contract you know what will happen.............

kg82

It's ridiculous talking about any sort of contract extension forThorn at the moment - there are more important things to concentrate on.

skybluegod

i like him as a man and manager he has got a sense to use subs but he doesnt want to risk them when there on the bench only when there fit wheen he has a fit squad you can tell he knows what he's doing when bristol came too us he made 2 subs at hallf time cameron and deegs and they were preety good, so i say give him another year or 2

dongonzalos

My own personal view regarding giving Thorn a long term contract is that I would like him to get a 5 year contract.

This view is based on the fact that he likes to play passing football, football that I personally have enjoyed. I think he would have developed and learnt a hell of a lot under the circs of this last season and a third. I know it is disputed but I think he has got an eye for a good player. He does face the media and seems to appreciate the effort of the fans. I am not sure what financially we can afford as alternatives if he was sacked. I would love to see how he would do if he did have a bit of a budget to spend (I know that is very unlikely) I would love to see how Cov do if they do have the same manager for 5 years. I do not believe chopping and changing managers every season works.
I have no other agenda

dongonzalos

It's ridiculous talking about any sort of contract extension forThorn at the moment - there are more important things to concentrate on.
I can talk about it, as me concentrating on this wont affect Cov's relegation status I promise otherwise I wouldnt mention it honestly.......

dongonzalos

any of you lot go to Forest :whistle:
Hands up I didnt, had to work. I heard the performance was bad. I have been quite fortunate and have only watched them when I enjoyed the football. On talk sport the analyst said he thought both teams were bad but Coventry were the better side but Forest scored the goals. He was independant. My own view is Forest having more experienced pro's will deal with the physcological aspects of the relegation battle better than us. I think our only chance of staying up will be at the expence of Bristol

Mr T - Sukka!

Our away record is a good reason not to change the rolling contract term he is currently on, and simply CCFC cannot afford a to pay off contracts like previous managers.

So just leave it as it is, for god sake we may get relegated this year.

Grendel

Tut tut this is a wind up I think. Several people want an end to the thorn discussions then you start this nonsense.

brinner

id give Thorn a 3 year deal and let him get on with it.

Think he is doing a great job under the circumstances, imagine if we had Boothroyd or Coleman in charge of this lot?? i dont think we would have won a game all season ffs!!

Had Thorn been allowed to bring Pacheco in last summer and keep 2 or 3 of the 1s tha left ie King, Gunnar and Turner then we would be top 10 now without question.

and ppl who say we Thorn cant manage a side away from home forget how well we performed at places like Pompey, Derby, Burnley, and Norwich last season when he had a few decent players at his disposal.

Grendel

Here we go 3 years 5 years tell you what let's make it 20 years then we can sack him next year and he can retire of the compensation. Actually why don't we let him stand for mayor as well.

kg82

Do you think we could get Thorn on a "home" contract and get another manager in for away matches?!

Grendel

Top 10 without question. Are you old enough to remember that little bloke on that island? The plane the plane! Well that is what this is.

Grendel

One serious point on this. What benefit is there of offering thorn anything more than 1 year? Thorn is not on demand he will not be persued by anyone else. You only offer long contracts to valuable proven assets. Unless of course you are Andy thorn who offers them to bell, baker, Mcpake, mcsheffrey...

kg82

One serious point on this. What benefit is there of offering thorn anything more than 1 year? Thorn is not on demand he will not be persued by anyone else. You only offer long contracts to valuable proven assets. Unless of course you are Andy thorn who offers them to bell, baker, Mcpake, mcsheffrey...

WHAT! All of a sudden the manager's responsible for contract negotiations of players!

Paxman II

Whatever happens my own view is that Thorn is replaced for a more experienced operator. Without that I would have little confidence for the season ahead and doubt many would buy season tickets if he was still the manager....moreover if SISU were still there!

Grendel

If he isn't and still makes quotes saying he is do you really want a puppet at your cub? I don't.

dongonzalos

Do you know other than the ginger gnome, we have to go back to Gordon Milne June 1972 - May 1981. To when Cov have had a manager last longer than 3 years.
That is 19 manager permanent managers since 1981. So 19 managers in 30 years and average of one and a half seasons per manager.
Its ridiculous a new manager comes in does not like the squad, brings in new players makes changes, slowly starts to build what he wants, gets sacked and the cycle repeats itself. I am sure it cannot be good for the club to have no consistency in management.

Grendel

Whatever happens my own view is that Thorn is replaced for a more experienced operator. Without that I would have little confidence for the season ahead and doubt many would buy season tickets if he was still the manager....moreover if SISU were still there!

Well said. I have been a season ticket holder for 40 years. If thorn is still here count me out. I know 3 others who think the same. I have hated this season and that would be the final insult for me.

Westchester76

If Thorn kept us up - I'd give him a 2 year deal, but it really depends what kind of budget he gets next season (with or without Sisu) - If it's more of the same then we'll lose Cranie, Clinighan and Eastwood, and have little to replace them with, so another relegation fight.

dongonzalos

Well said. I have been a season ticket holder for 40 years. If thorn is still here count me out. I know 3 others who think the same. I have hated this season and that would be the final insult for me.

Seriously if SISU were still here but they sacked Thorn and continued running the club the way they are would you then renew?

cloughie

Ridiculous statement about the contracts as we all know Thorn was always in the dark about contracts as the Deluded Ken gave those contracts out to so called up the value of the club

But I expect you know that really

cloughie

Seriously if SISU were still here but they sacked Thorn and continued running the club the way they are would you then renew?

Exactly I'm sure some fools would. forget who the manager is, with sisu in charge we will be crap regardless of the manager

Grendel

Ridiculous statement about the contracts as we all know Thorn was always in the dark about contracts as the Deluded Ken gave those contracts out to so called up the value of the club

But I expect you know that really

Another reason to get rid of him then. A yes man. Imagine Billy Davies or any serious manager putting up with that? No nor me.

dongonzalos

Another reason to get rid of him then. A yes man. Imagine Billy Davies or any serious manager putting up with that? No nor me.

No I cant believe players would be given contracts without the owners asking if the manager if he wants that particular player. Thorn may not be involved in the finer detail but he would have given the green light. However if you knew everytime you lose a player they end up getting replaced with a youth team player or a loanee (if you are lucky) what would say to the professionals you have getting contract extensions

Grendel

Right. I have been a season ticket holder for I think 36 of the last 40 years. At University I did not have a ticket but still went to every game virtually home and away. However, for one season I gave up for a while. That was when Bobby Gould was here after the first season. I hated the football, I found him an embarrassment as an ambassador of the club and it just alienated me.
Second time he turned up I did the same for a few months. I do not think Thorn is capable as a manager, as a leader I find him poor and I see the manager as having some status in terms of communications with media and being the front of this club. Personally at this I see him as lets just say well short of what I personally think is required.
It is my opinion that the club is at its lowest ebb that I can remember other than when Sexton left and the hapless Gould showed up. I see Thorn as a major element of that. I know I may be in the minority but for most of the season I have found the football boring, predictable and drab. I have hated every minute of it virtually.
I believe retaining him for long-term is pure folly and the irony is whatever anyone says almost certainly the only way he will retain employment is if SISU continue.
Sorry people won't like it but I have toned it down. I have been to 1,200 games plus and this is my view and I know I am not alone.

dongonzalos

Right. I have been a season ticket holder for I think 36 of the last 40 years. At University I did not have a ticket but still went to every game virtually home and away. However, for one season I gave up for a while. That was when Bobby Gould was here after the first season. I hated the football, I found him an embarrassment as an ambassador of the club and it just alienated me.
Second time he turned up I did the same for a few months. I do not think Thorn is capable as a manager, as a leader I find him poor and I see the manager as having some status in terms of communications with media and being the front of this club. Personally at this I see him as lets just say well short of what I personally think is required.
It is my opinion that the club is at its lowest ebb that I can remember other than when Sexton left and the hapless Gould showed up. I see Thorn as a major element of that. I know I may be in the minority but for most of the season I have found the football boring, predictable and drab. I have hated every minute of it virtually.
I believe retaining him for long-term is pure folly and the irony is whatever anyone says almost certainly the only way he will retain employment is if SISU continue.
Sorry people won't like it but I have toned it down. I have been to 1,200 games plus and this is my view and I know I am not alone.

Its not about whether people like your view or not. I disagree with it but it is interesting to hear different views it would be pretty boring if we all thought the same.

Couple of questions

Which manager played the type of football you enjoyed.?

Did you see a marked change in the style of football when boothroyd left and Thorn took over did you initially enjoy that football but disliked this season?

Grendel

Rightly or wrongly I have found it difficult to take to Thorn as a manager. Personally I did like the way he criticised the previous managers approach to football and declared himself the entertainer. I remember him as a footballer and though effective stylish he was not. So I formed an immediate judgement that here is someone who puts the opinions of others before anything else which I do not see as a positive.
Last season the honeymoon period I believe to be massively over-rated. He had exactly the same points tally as Boothroyd did in the first 10 games of his tenure.
Football style is widely over-rated. No-one complained about Boothroyd when the club was achieving top 6 status whatever people say now.
Sillett was the best however and was very under-rated and very shabbily treated in the end.
I saw a marked change in attitude when AB left. He clearly had fell out with people at the club and they wanted him out. Exactly the same happened with Adams. It has nothing to do with styles the players had just fell out with him. Lots of guff was talked at the time and we saw improvement from some players but they all soon lapsed intoi their mediocre selves this season.

torchomatic

How on earth will the club survive without the four of you?

Users who are viewing this thread