Local Elections (1 Viewer)

KarmicChris

Has this mess we’ve found ourselves in affected anyone’s intentions with the upcoming votes?

Personally, I probably wouldn’t have voted any other year. But I will be this year, against whoever is the sitting councillor (recently moved so don’t even know who it is). Aside from some kind of protest, which never seem to materialise. This seems the only way the fans can have some kind of say/influence on what’s going on.
If those leaked emails a couple of weeks back are to be believed the council are worried about this, thinking SISU only released a statement now because of the elections.

Magwitch

I understand what you say but one vote makes no difference might aswell stop at home.? But what could be done as a protest is to find out who the next Lord Mayor is going to be and orchestrate a campaign to get him/her voted off could be Labour or Tory doesn’t matter both partys have questions to answer on this whole sorry affair. Would hurt and be a warning to next years Lord Mayor hopeful.

OffenhamSkyBlue

The next Lord Mayor won’t be announced until after the elections so you’re off the mark.
Lucas is Deputy Lord Mayor elect and presumptive Lord Mayor for 2020-21, but her seat isn’t up for election this year or next.

OffenhamSkyBlue

So they tend to make sure that the cabinet aren’t up for re-election in the next year or two, possibly to allow for continuity but maybe to avoid the embarrassment of the entire cabinet being voted out.
Sorry but it can’t happen.

The way to have done it was to have a number of CCFC fans elected in minor seats and to make mischief in meetings etc. But the realisation that the council are not squeaky clean came too late to have a decent campaign before nominations closed on 3rd April

The Philosopher

Has this mess we’ve found ourselves in affected anyone’s intentions with the upcoming votes?

Personally, I probably wouldn’t have voted any other year. But I will be this year, against whoever is the sitting councillor (recently moved so don’t even know who it is). Aside from some kind of protest, which never seem to materialise. This seems the only way the fans can have some kind of say/influence on what’s going on.
If those leaked emails a couple of weeks back are to be believed the council are worried about this, thinking SISU only released a statement now because of the elections.
I’ll probably get shot down here but
this might be a longer term strategy.

Tribalism exists in politics and it seems that Labour has a tight grip on Coventry Council.

Should the Conservatives take control then they would enjoy the opportunity to blame the entire Ricoh debacle on Labour and score some huge brownie points with the Coventry electorate. This would help them down the line in the next General Election, not just in Coventry but in the wider marginal seats of Nuneaton, Warwick, Rugby etc where a good number of sky blues fans live.

The Tories would have a vested interest in working with CCFC either by helping develop a new ground in the city or exposing the questionable decisions of the previous Labour administration.

I’m surprised that the local conservative association haven’t made a play for all of this but having dealt closely with local politics over the years know just how disorganised they all are. (You only have to look how the lunatics have dealt with Brexit on a national stage)

I think 18 Council seats are up this May, not sure if they all turned Tory it’d be enough but it’d change the dynamic in the way the Council treated CCFC (and I don’t give two hoots about SISU, I just don’t want to see the next generation of Cov Kids support another club just because they can’t get to see the Sky Blues in Cov for a few years)

This isn’t a post supporting the Tories, it’s just pointing out that changing the Council changes the direction of the Ricoh debate, possibly.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Take your point but Gary Ridley, leader of conservative opposition has stood squarely alongside Duggins in the recent “open letter” phase, so might not be so pro-CCFC

KarmicChris

I’ll probably get shot down here but
this might be a longer term strategy.

Tribalism exists in politics and it seems that Labour has a tight grip on Coventry Council.

Should the Conservatives take control then they would enjoy the opportunity to blame the entire Ricoh debacle on Labour and score some huge brownie points with the Coventry electorate. This would help them down the line in the next General Election, not just in Coventry but in the wider marginal seats of Nuneaton, Warwick, Rugby etc where a good number of sky blues fans live.

The Tories would have a vested interest in working with CCFC either by helping develop a new ground in the city or exposing the questionable decisions of the previous Labour administration.

I’m surprised that the local conservative association haven’t made a play for all of this but having dealt closely with local politics over the years know just how disorganised they all are. (You only have to look how the lunatics have dealt with Brexit on a national stage)

I think 18 Council seats are up this May, not sure if they all turned Tory it’d be enough but it’d change the dynamic in the way the Council treated CCFC (and I don’t give two hoots about SISU, I just don’t want to see the next generation of Cov Kids support another club just because they can’t get to see the Sky Blues in Cov for a few years)

This isn’t a post supporting the Tories, it’s just pointing out that changing the Council changes the direction of the Ricoh debate, possibly.

Yeah I agree, I don’t expect come the day after the results are announced the council says right that’s it CCFC are coming back. But just to rock the boat, change the faces at the council and send a message to them that they would be held to account for issues like this and they can’t stick their name on the ballot and get voted in every 4 years which I suspect many councillors do

Liquid Gold

Unfortunately the Tories and Labour are both behind the London Wasps project, just voting out the incumbent would be a good start but I doubt there is enough time to make progress on now. The trust should have been preparing candidates for a single issue purpose ala Charlton but they're in the council's pocket so was never going to happen.

rob9872

I echo the sentiments in unseating those that are accountable, but the problem is that unless there is a specific pro CCFC candidate to vote for as a single issue representative, then they are nothing more than different cheeks of the same arse.

fernandopartridge

Daniel Gidney is / was a Thatcherite (i remember reading a nauseating interview with him, might have been in a CCFC programme or the CT where he talked about her being his hero). The local Tories will be well behind the Wasps project, after all, rugby is not a proletarian sport like football.

Users who are viewing this thread