Loan Players (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

I think you're letting what he's done since cloud your memories.
Remember Charlton away, last game of the season where he seemed to be doing his best to get us relegated?

That wasn't just a couple of isolated incidents either, he was all over the shop with his erratic decision making during his time with us.
He had to drop to League 2 after that & it was 2 full seasons before he got another chance at Championship level.
If anybody had said at the time that he'd go on to be one of the Premier League's best goalkeepers they'd have been carried away in a straitjacket.

Meh

Not a patch on his old man

Frostie

Yup, as a loan player he was superb.

Or, at least tolerable ;)

Bjarni Guðjónsson was pretty good on loan, too.

Yeah, alluded to that earlier.
Both absolutely phenomenal on loan (Mills' debut he was absolutely unplayable, one of the best individual performances I've ever seen) but rather underwhelming when signed permanently.

In fairness to Gudjonsson though, he was exceptional under Eric Black but Peter Reid ruined him.

slowpoke

God I remember that game I couldn’t go for some reason but watched the Stoke v Leicester game on telly, certainly no good for the old heart Stoke runaway league champions and Leicester needing a point to stay up at our expense, Leicester battered Stoke second half but their keeper had the game of his life Stoke winning and us staying up. Kasper Schmeichel had a day to forget but then did most of his team mates I do wonder how fortunes would now be had we gone down, would Leicester been taken over and now look at them

Frostie

God I remember that game I couldn’t go for some reason but watched the Stoke v Leicester game on telly, certainly no good for the old heart Stoke runaway league champions and Leicester needing a point to stay up at our expense, Leicester battered Stoke second half but their keeper had the game of his life Stoke winning and us staying up. Kasper Schmeichel had a day to forget but then did most of his team mates I do wonder how fortunes would now be had we gone down, would Leicester been taken over and now look at them

Carlo Nash should have a statue at the new ground.
That said, it only delayed the inevitable!

usskyblue

Roussel on loan

25e5.gif

Signs a contract;

tenor.gif

ProfessorbyGrace

Chris Whyte, on loan from Brum, played one game in the 5-0 demolition of reigning champions Blackburn and was as solid as a rock. Personally I thought we should have signed him, as he fit seamlessly into the defence and shored it up.

I’m sure he was about 35 at the time, but still. Not one I fell in love with, naturally, but could have been a cult hero.
Then we signed Liam Daish for about 2 million more than he was worth...

ovduk78

What about Leon Barnett? Played about 20 games, sent off twice (in consecutive games?), gave away penalties & had a head shaped like a 50p judging by his wayward heading. Some one paid £2.5m for him before he came on loan to us 🤔

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What about Leon Barnett? Played about 20 games, sent off twice (in consecutive games?), gave away penalties & had a head shaped like a 50p judging by his wayward heading. Some one paid £2.5m for him before he came on loan to us 🤔

Yet he somehow played in the PL.

Skybluedownunder

Who was it we got on loan from Villa. I thought it was Ciaran Clark but from looking on wiki it doesn’t look like it was him.

Came on loan and scored a fair few goals

Sick Boy

I think at one point the ball rolled across the Stoke goal line. In hindsight it would probably have been better in the long-term for us to have gone down that season.

Fergusons_Beard

We’ve had a few I wanted us to sign-
Adam Armstrong
Leon Clarke
McGoaldrick
Bright
Ryan Kent
Richie Partridge
Stephen Warnock
Colin Healy
Dominic Samuel
Jordan Henderson