Living Wage in Football (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

But is Sports Science really a degree subject.

I graduated in 2001 with a Sports Studies degree. At the time, there weren't many jobs around in the field I was looking at and any that were available were paying circa £9-10k. I therefore thought I'd go into sales for 12 months to get another string to my bow and nearly 13/14 years later, I'm still in Sales/Marketing.

As for your question, yes it is. How do you think Physiotherapists get their training....reading 'Beginners Guide to...' books? I suspect many medical Physiotherapists you'd find in your local hospitals, probably have a degree of that ilk. We live in an age where everything is about keeping fit and healthy...again, people with sports degrees can play prominent roles in these industries, whether this be as PE Teachers (after completing PGCEs if they've gone down the Sports Science route), Physios, Psyhcologists, Personal Trainers, Coaches, Bio-Mechanics experts (all from the Science field) or Sports Development Officers, Statistical Analysts (Studies).

There's also many other transferrable skills picked up from degrees that regardless of the subject matter, can be used in many career paths, such as research skills, document writing, communication skills etc.

Winny the Bish

If you were in that position and looking to go into sports journalism its probably a decent job. Reckon you'd build up some good contacts.

But they wanted someone with a degree and two years experience as a journalist. It was disgraceful what they were offering.

Nick

Administrator
But they wanted someone with a degree and two years experience as a journalist. It was disgraceful what they were offering.

Yeah that's the one I was on about too. They wanted a couple of years working experience and a degree, so without a degree I was out :)

Astute

Yeah I did think that, I worked it out as 37.5 hours for 50 weeks and it's probably closer to 40. Even so, it's not like it leaves you much time to earn more. I work 39 weeks a year and get paid full time.

I work 144 shifts a year. Would be the perfect number if it didn't mean that I have to work all or part of 6 out of 10 weekends.

It does have its bonuses though. Wife works Monday to Friday. Some weeks I hardly see her :D

pusbccfc

Even for a graduate, 14k is really poor. Would be good fun, however.

Nick

Administrator
Wouldn't the club journalist already be at games?
I guess it is to give to family.

Even so, £14k is a shocking wage for what they expect too. I wonder what happens at night games if it is a 9am start and finish when you get home. (Plymouth Away?)

Winny the Bish

And Kieran wants someone who fills every aspect of the Job Spec. So a graduate, with 18 months experience, who has experience with the Football League's CMS & has worked for a professional team before. And he wants them to work for £14k a year. Imagine how little money you would have left, if any, after paying rent and maintaining a car (because the person requires a full driving license as well).

I work in sports journalism, and have done for two years now, but because I don't have a piece of paper saying I spent 9-grand a year to learn nothing important - I'd be out of the running immediately. It is insane.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I graduated with a 2:1 in Economics three years ago and it took me a while to get a 'career' job. Even now I get paid pittance but this is the issue the younger generation currently face.

We want a graduate with a minimal three years experience etc with experience of working with (insert programs) and working for not much more than minimum wage. It's pretty laughable. If i had known how obsolete my degree would prove to be I would have just gone straight into work after school. Oh well, it was fun at least! :guitar2:

Nick

Administrator
And Kieran wants someone who fills every aspect of the Job Spec. So a graduate, with 18 months experience, who has experience with the Football League's CMS & has worked for a professional team before. And he wants them to work for £14k a year. Imagine how little money you would have left, if any, after paying rent and maintaining a car (because the person requires a full driving license as well).

I work in sports journalism, and have done for two years now, but because I don't have a piece of paper saying I spent 9-grand a year to learn nothing important - I'd be out of the running immediately. It is insane.

So in theory they will have to come from another club to know about the CMS system.

Nick

Administrator
Maybe you give your parents the season tickets instead of paying rent so you can afford to live on 14K.

Have to do something! That's pretty much minimum wage isn't it and need to use your own car, have a degree and 18 months experience. Dread to think what the quality will be like.

Nick

Administrator
Pretty much, yeah. But it takes about two hours to learn how a CMS works. Genuinely such an easy thing to do.

Yeah, it wouldn't be hard to do at all. If they require 18 months experience you would think they would be in a job already to leave to go there!

CCFC_Charlie

To put it into perspective I'd make more money a year going full-time as a trolley boy at Sainsbury's, and get more holiday as well.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I agree with the sentiments in this thread, wouldn't be as bad I guess if they were looking to take on someone fresh from graduating no experience required. But the fact that they are looking for 18 months experience as well as experience of working in professional sport seems like a long shot, unless you're super passionate about football or Coventry City I doubt people would look twice at it.

I think people have said before journalism is generally a low paid job because of how competitive it is.

Last edited:

Winny the Bish

Yeah, it wouldn't be hard to do at all. If they require 18 months experience you would think they would be in a job already to leave to go there!

It's either that or someone who has worked for free or as an intern during uni. This is just me moaning and airing my gripes, but it is insane that working for free for a club - essentially doing the bitch work - is more preferred than someone who has worked for a major paper or national website.

Nick

Administrator
It's either that or someone who has worked for free or as an intern during uni. This is just me moaning and airing my gripes, but it is insane that working for free for a club - essentially doing the bitch work - is more preferred than someone who has worked for a major paper or national website.

Yeah it would pretty much be the bitch work

Winny the Bish

The crazy thing is I would absolutely take that job. It would mean a £7k-a-year pay-cut, moving back in with my parents in Coventry (I'm 22, it wouldn't be that weird ha) and I'd go from being Co-head of U.S Editorial at a pretty big website to the bottom rung of the ladder, but i would love to do that job.

Football does weird things to a person.

H

Huckerby

I graduated with a 2:1 in Economics three years ago and it took me a while to get a 'career' job. Even now I get paid pittance but this is the issue the younger generation currently face.

We want a graduate with a minimal three years experience etc with experience of working with (insert programs) and working for not much more than minimum wage. It's pretty laughable. If i had known how obsolete my degree would prove to be I would have just gone straight into work after school. Oh well, it was fun at least! :guitar2:
Not sure it's a general younger generation issue. I graduated with the same in Economics three years ago and I'm doing alright

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Shakeitup

Some jobs, like this are very competitive because so many people with community college degrees apply. They know they can pay peanuts. A bit like when people start out in journalism. Some mug will do it. Many give it up eventually. However, some stick at it and end up doing well.

I know a friend that had a postgrad. In journalism, they started on £12k! They stick at it and are now the head of media for a Premiership team.

For the right person this may be a job that's about getting an opportunity, not about the money.

shmmeee

For the right person this may be a job that's about getting an opportunity, not about the money.

See I disagree entirely with this line of thinking. Jobs should pay enough to live on. You are buying someone's time and it comes with a cost.

Same with internships. I'm not happy about Apprentice wage but at least in theory you get a qualification out of it.

I don't know what Keiren Crowley is on, but I think he has a massive part to play at the club. He is the clubs voice online and for all intents and purposes is the club to a lot of people and he does an excellent job of it. I'd hope he earns enough to support himself and his family at the very least, whatever other opportunities the position may open up for him. Same goes for whoever they bring in here. Otherwise give it as a work experience opportunity for a student or teenager.

Shakeitup

See I disagree entirely with this line of thinking. Jobs should pay enough to live on. You are buying someone's time and it comes with a cost.

Same with internships. I'm not happy about Apprentice wage but at least in theory you get a qualification out of it.

I don't know what Keiren Crowley is on, but I think he has a massive part to play at the club. He is the clubs voice online and for all intents and purposes is the club to a lot of people and he does an excellent job of it. I'd hope he earns enough to support himself and his family at the very least, whatever other opportunities the position may open up for him. Same goes for whoever they bring in here. Otherwise give it as a work experience opportunity for a student or teenager.

When I was younger I probably would have agreed with you. However, as I've worked more and moved around the world for work I really do feel mediocrity is encouraged far too much in the UK and in the Midlands in particular. I'm sure a young graduate can live on 15k for six months and Then make their worth known elsewhere.

Astute

When I was younger I probably would have agreed with you. However, as I've worked more and moved around the world for work I really do feel mediocrity is encouraged far too much in the UK and in the Midlands in particular. I'm sure a young graduate can live on 15k for six months and Then make their worth known elsewhere.

Agreed.

I moved away from Coventry when I had qualifications. It took me about 9 months of working my way up at different places until I got to where I wanted to be. In Coventry the pay was lower and there was more people chasing fewer jobs. If I now moved back to Coventry I would struggle to find a decent job. But where I live now I would get one within a week. And the wages are much higher as there is a lack of skilled workers for the amount that is needed.

RedSalmon

I graduated in 2001 with a Sports Studies degree. At the time, there weren't many jobs around in the field I was looking at and any that were available were paying circa £9-10k. I therefore thought I'd go into sales for 12 months to get another string to my bow and nearly 13/14 years later, I'm still in Sales/Marketing.

As for your question, yes it is. How do you think Physiotherapists get their training....reading 'Beginners Guide to...' books? I suspect many medical Physiotherapists you'd find in your local hospitals, probably have a degree of that ilk. We live in an age where everything is about keeping fit and healthy...again, people with sports degrees can play prominent roles in these industries, whether this be as PE Teachers (after completing PGCEs if they've gone down the Sports Science route), Physios, Psyhcologists, Personal Trainers, Coaches, Bio-Mechanics experts (all from the Science field) or Sports Development Officers, Statistical Analysts (Studies).

There's also many other transferrable skills picked up from degrees that regardless of the subject matter, can be used in many career paths, such as research skills, document writing, communication skills etc.

Physiotherapists do not not get into Physiotherapy by first getting a degree in Sports Science. Quite often people will undertake a Sports Science degree thinking it will make them a Physiotherapist, then usually half way through the course they realise it won't and either continue and go and get other work in a different field, or go back to University and enroll on a Physiotherapy degree course. I have encountered at least five people who have gone down this route, but the vast vast majority of students who do undertake a degree in Physiotherapy have never gone anywhere near a degree in Sports Science.

Gazolba

J Is £15k a year enough for a Degree educated person? Even if it is Sports Science :p

They should have researched the job market before they chose their degree. Maybe this is a stepping stone to something more lucrative? Still it's hard to justify any job if you cannot live on the income. Try finding housing, running a car and feeding yourself on that.

Shakeitup

They should have researched the job market before they chose their degree. Maybe this is a stepping stone to something more lucrative? Still it's hard to justify any job if you cannot live on the income. Try finding housing, running a car and feeding yourself on that.

They're sporty. They should jog everywhere! (Cycling is permitted if the round trip exceeds 50km a day!)

bawtryneal

My company employees 195 people scattered around the UK. Sheffield, Hull, Wrexham and North London. Even the Unskilled guys get more than 14k. Nobody I employ earns less than £15,600 a year.
Pay peanuts, get monkeys !!!!

Astute

My company employees 195 people scattered around the UK. Sheffield, Hull, Wrexham and North London. Even the Unskilled guys get more than 14k. Nobody I employ earns less than £15,600 a year.
Pay peanuts, get monkeys !!!!

The same as decent pay doesn't guarantee decent employees.

The lowest paid where I work gets about 23.5k And we have a fair few that make chimps look like mastermind.

Users who are viewing this thread