Listening to CWR matchday commentary when not in local area (1 Viewer)

Alex Hudson

Hi,

I live in Berkshire, and can't listen to the match commentary on my radio as they block the content during the matches.

Is there a way of getting around this without having to pay for ifollow?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex

pastythegreat

Hi,

I live in Berkshire, and can't listen to the match commentary on my radio as they block the content during the matches.

Is there a way of getting around this without having to pay for ifollow?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex
Unfortunately not. Disgusting really, as you've already paid the BBC for a service, then have to pay again for another service. One of my biggest bug bears. I've never tried with a digital radio though. Although I think w***s are normally aired on DAB if playing at the same time.
In terms of watching though, somebody somewhere normally streams an ifollow match on Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Unfortunately not. Disgusting really, as you've already paid the BBC for a service, then have to pay again for another service. One of my biggest bug bears. I've never tried with a digital radio though. Although I think w***s are normally aired on DAB if playing at the same time.
In terms of watching though, somebody somewhere normally streams an ifollow match on Facebook.

What are normally aired? :emoji_hushed:

usskyblue

What ever happened to whatshisname...Rob Gurney ? He was decent.

Edit to add: Remember years back I was listening to Gurney commentating, and just after we scored the radio went dead. I thought my little transistor radio had taken a shit.Turned out; he jumped up to celebrate our goal and kicked a power cord in the gantry.

Last edited:

Ccfcsj

I agree it's completely wrong. As for DAB, BBC C&W is regionalised so can't be listened to outside the Midlands (I which it could be as I visit my parents in Devon a lot). Even Internet radio won't allow the broadcasts)

Liquid Gold

Nice of those watching on Facebook to deprive the club of income.

It's only £50 a year or something for the basic package with commentary.

Nick

Administrator
Not disagreeing but the principal of being charged again when you already pay a license fee is wrong
It's charged because it's regional, if you don't live in the area you can't get local radio. Same for every team, even when it was Mercia.

Ccfcsj

Some will go to the platform, some will go to pay for the rights

The club still gets a decent chunk of it
Not doubting but would be interested to know how much. If it is a decent amount I might consider it when my finances improve

Skyblue_LDN

It’s onoy about £3.99 a year isn’t it? At least that was what it was when I first left cov. I’d happliy pay a full season ticket for live streams of the games

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I can pick up CWR really loud & clear here in Malvern (42 miles away as the crow flies. But I've never seen a crow fly in a dead straight line!) Better than the Isle of Wight where I could only catch Portsmouth, Brighton or Southampton locally!

chiefdave

The issue with the CWR commentary is simple.

The BBC pay for the local radio rights so they have no choice other than to block commentary online. The cost for streaming / national / international rights would be far higher and outside the top handful of PL teams there isn't the demand to make it worth them bidding.

If you're out of the broadcast area its only a few quid and for well worth the money. Had a subscription for years before moving back to Cov.

JimmyHillsbeard

It’s nothing to do with the BBC it’s the football league who own the rights and won’t let them licence the commentary online.

iFollow for the match commentary is relatively decent price too.

GaryJones

What ever happened to whatshisname...Rob Gurney ? He was decent.

Edit to add: Remember years back I was listening to Gurney commentating, and just after we scored the radio went dead. I thought my little transistor radio had taken a shit.Turned out; he jumped up to celebrate our goal and kicked a power cord in the gantry.
Agree he was really good.
He moved to the BBC WM team to do Aston Villa games instead.
I heard him when I was trying to tune in to CWR and got to say he was just as good.
Sounded like a Villa fan though - very professional.
No hesitation or stuttering or forgetting the players names or mixing them up.
Come back Rob!!!!! Please!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread