Line up for championship next season (1 Viewer)

cc84cov

oh and having had no winger and been promoted (we hope) why are we so obsessed with having one again. Foe all they bring, they often lack flexibility as players. Thomas missed so many chances and was utterly useless at tracking back.
We didn’t play with wingers 90% of season also Thomas tracking back I thought was brilliant mate

Skybluefaz

oh and having had no winger and been promoted (we hope) why are we so obsessed with having one again. Foe all they bring, they often lack flexibility as players. Thomas missed so many chances and was utterly useless at tracking back.
There is no way you watched Luke Thomas play if you have formed that opinion. Either that or you are completely stupid. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'd have Luke Thomas back at CCFC any day of the week. Ran on Duracell batteries and always gave 100%.

Also, if we are under the cosh in games, he is one who won't down tools.

Last edited:

SBAndy

If I were MR I'd be looking at attacking full-backs/wing backs rather than wingers because they offer more flexibility.

If you keep our current formation they obviously fit in but if we wanted to go more like 4-4-2 if you've got a back up WB then one can play at full back, the other winger. What each may lack in defensive ability would be offset by the improved defensive ability of the guy in front of him compared to an out and out winger, plus they'll have better positional sense and awareness tracking back. Not only that they could interchange and confuse the opposition as to who should be tracking who.

It's not ideal (nothing ever is) but I think it offers the most flexibility and covers weaknesses. Then you can work on any potential weaknesses like crossing in training.

Someone suggested looking at Luke Garbutt as he’s out of contract at Everton this summer. Plays LB and LW, I would assume he’d suit playing at wing back but would also give you the flexibility to change formation as you say.

skyblue025

If having 10 changes / season has got us two promotions what is the virtue of a settled squad? Except mediocrity - it is over rated. Only Kelly and Hyam remain from the first game in L 2, and Hyam only played that day because Willis was out.
We are a league higher - McF, Hyam, Kelly, Jodi Jones, Mason, Godden all look good L1 players rather than Championship. We might survive one season on the spirit and teamwork of this year. But there will have to be big changes going forward. The team that started 19/20 unrecognizable from 17/18 so on that basis, for another jump up, we need the the same rate of change again.
In 18/19 in L1, Luton looked beasts - in the Championship they were found out.
We don't tend to really start playing until around Xmas with 10 new players a season while they get used to each other. We also don't tend to find out best system either. Need a winger to give us a plan b. Would rather add 5 quality starters then 3 starters and 7 squad players. We will have less games next year so can probably cut the squad by a few.

Magwitch

Don’t care who we recruit or what position as long as they are better players, we need to be better to adequately compete in the higher division, I think with the right additions we could do a little bit better than just compete.

skybluesam66

There will be several who will not make the step up to the championship - dont forget many of these have come from League 2 or were signed for League 1

I suspect the following will struggle to get 20 starts between them next season
Biamou/Jones/ Mason

and then a large clear out of
Ponti/Hiwula/ Bakayoko/Wakefield/Allasani/Wilson/Kastaneer

Last edited:

Magwitch

Don’t agree re. Jodie Jones, the guy has ability, if he shakes off his injury blues we have a potential major player who if we tried to buy similar could cost a lot of money.
And in fairness to Charlie Wakefield he has also been injured for a good while, I think he deserves a fair chance to see how he is. Remember Allen was out injured most of the first half of the season and not getting regular starts until the New Year and eventually proved himself imo.

shmmeee

There will be several who will not make the step up to the championship - dont forget many of these have come from League 2 or were signed for League 1

Biamou/Jones/ Mason

Ponti/Hiwula/ Bakayoko/Wakefield/Allasani/Watson/Kastaneer

Watson?

We’ll be lucky to offload Kasta and Ponticelli IMO, the rest are out of contract.

Thunk you’re being harsh lumping two kids who have shown potential (Jones and Mason) in with Max TBH.

kg82

Biamou/Jones/ Mason

Ponti/Hiwula/ Bakayoko/Wakefield/Allasani/Watson/Kastaneer
The EFL Zone guy on twitter said it was likely we’d offer Baka a new deal. He’s not too wrong with much.

Who’s Watson?

Legia Sky Blue

Watson?

We’ll be lucky to offload Kasta and Ponticelli IMO, the rest are out of contract.

Thunk you’re being harsh lumping two kids who have shown potential (Jones and Mason) in with Max TBH.

I largely agree with this. Even if Biamou and Mason are not starters, we need back up at the ready. I don't picture them playing often, but at some point they may have a part to play. Jones is difficult to predict. It could be that his injuries mean he never returns to what he was, or potentially was, but I can understand why MR would be reluctant to give up on him without that becoming clearer. The one good thing for him would be that the higher up the leagues you go the less dirty the game gets, and the more protection players like him get from refs, which might allow his quality to shine. With Kastaneer & Ponti still being under contract I would expect both to go out on loan, Kastaneer back to Holland & Ponti to League 2 maybe. All out of contract players I would be happy to see released.

jordan210

Watson?

Kasta is going to come good and be the Championships recored goal scorer.

or he will end up at some European team and we will never hear of him again.

mark82

Kasta is going to come good and be the Championships recored goal scorer.

or he will end up at some European team and we will never hear of him again.

Anyone who saw his debut against Bristol Rovers will know he has something, it's how you bring that out of him that's the big question. Needs to be more of a team player, and maybe there's an attitude problem (or maybe he just found it hard to settle). Suspect he'll be given another year either directly with us or out on loan at a league 1/league 2 team.

SlowerThanPlatt

The EFL Zone guy on twitter said it was likely we’d offer Baka a new deal. He’s not too wrong with much.

Who’s Watson?

I don’t think the EFL zone guy is itk at all. What he appears to be doing is reporting what other clubs media are saying and passing it off as inside information, us and the fans of the other 70 league clubs would have no idea what the Swindon Herald are reporting and think it’s come directly from him

kg82

I don’t think the EFL zone guy is itk at all. What he appears to be doing is reporting what other clubs media are saying and passing it off as inside information, us and the fans of the other 70 league clubs would have no idea what the Swindon Herald are reporting and think it’s come directly from him
If that’s the case, he works bloody hard! 71 clubs in the football league!

Colin Steins Smile

I think the three at the back offers that bit more protection there but it does leave us exposed in the flanks a bit. Dabo is decent on the right so if we can get a good LWB, or Mason has added more attacking play to his game I can't see any reason why MR wouldn't start with this again next season, though hopefully with some other variations in the cupboard (though we all know MR doesn't like to change a formation during a game).

Of course he will try things out in training and if something seems to work better he may go for that. I'm hoping he doesn't go the 4-3-3 again which he seemed to favour at the start of last year and during the promotion season. We only stepped up when we ditched it out of necessity due to injuries.
When we were playing with four across the back early season, we got exposed to the counter attack as our full backs were overlapping forwards. Hence there were times when the counter attack was facing only 2 defenders.
The shift to a central 3 defenders gave us more cover, but I obviously vulnerable to attacks on the flanks.

Sky Blue Pete

My lad and I were taking and we think the following will stay around for the championship

Marosi
Dabo
Mason
Rose
Hyam
Ohare
Jobello
Westbrooke
Kelly
Godden
Biamou
Jones

which means we need

back up keeper
Defensive midfielder
Right back back up
Left back
Attacking mid
2 strikers

could be exciting

Magwitch

My lad and I were taking and we think the following will stay around for the championship

Marosi
Dabo
Mason
Rose
Hyam
Ohare
Jobello
Westbrooke
Kelly
Godden
Biamou
Jones