Liam Walsh (1 Viewer)

South West Sky Blue

Lots of talk here about Bristol City binning off a player they paid £500k for, rising to £1m.
That’s not the case. They offered him a contract, but he declined. I can see their perspective that he hasn’t played in this division and has been paid for 12 months for no real reason, so may owe the club some loyalty and possibly lower wages.

I think they fail to see to see Sky Blues perspective that he was our POTS. We’ve got others who bridged the gap from league 1 to Championship who lacked the ability he had. We appear to have more faith in him than they do.

I just fear for the wages. Not sure we can match his aspirations. That being said, I’d give my left nut to a hungry cannibal if we haven’t made enquiries long before now.

robbiekeane

Lots of talk here about Bristol City binning off a player they paid £500k for, rising to £1m.
That’s not the case. They offered him a contract, but he declined. I can see their perspective that he hasn’t played in this division and has been paid for 12 months for no real reason, so may owe the club some loyalty and possibly lower wages.

I think they fail to see to see Sky Blues perspective that he was our POTS. We’ve got others who bridged the gap from league 1 to Championship who lacked the ability he had. We appear to have more faith in him than they do.

I just fear for the wages. Not sure we can match his aspirations. That being said, I’d give my left nut to a hungry cannibal if we haven’t made enquiries long before now.
WHY ARE WE TALKING LIKE THIS IS A THING

slowpoke

I’m with most on here and would be more than happy if we bagged Walshy especially on a free transfer and Hamer moves on, we know we are getting a bloody good player but times have changed and there are a lot of good provern players also freebies on the search for clubs so I reckon the ball is in Robins court should Hamer leave.

Gibbo

These are the contenders for the two central midfield slots (even if only in a our fevered imaginations) :-
  • Kelly, Sheaf, James, Hamer, Eccles, Walsh, AN Other.
  • We would not have all seven, but we would have 5 - with Eccles as the 5th.
  • Kelly is obviously in,
  • Hamer is saleable so not as compulsory,
  • Hamer, James and probably Walsh are not viable to be purely in the squad as bench warmers,
  • Kelly, James and Walsh all have dodgy fitness records.
  • I assume Sheaf's fitness issue is now resolved.
  • Sheaf is not yet a done deal
So we have Hamer, Sheaf, James Walsh or another signing for three slots.

My preferred first choice pairing would be Walsh and Hamer, but I suspect practicality will rule out Walsh.

NB Three in midfield usually means only one up front, so is unlikeley to a preferred formation for SBT members

Sky Blue Pete

These are the contenders for the two central midfield slots (even if only in a our fevered imaginations) :-
  • Kelly is obviously in,
  • Hamer, James and probably Walsh are not viable to be purely in the squad as bench warmers,

My preferred first choice pairing would be Walsh and Hamer, but I suspect practicality will rule out Walsh.

NB Three in midfield usually means only one up front, so is unlikeley to a preferred formation for SBT members
Pretty clear sheaf signed

Brighton Sky Blue

What figure would be enough for us to part with Hamer? Think it’s prudent to have such a number and not budge when clubs come knocking

SBAndy

Why isn't it feasible to have James, Hamer, Walsh, Kelly, Eccles, Sheaf? Theres been times this year we have had to play with 3 CM's with either Shipley or Allen playing as one. I think if signing Walsh and James meant that Eccles had to go out on loan then Robins would do it.

Yep, Eccles out on loan til January, by which time we may be looking at Hamer moving on (if he hadn’t already at that stage).

stay_up_skyblues

Why isn't it feasible to have James, Hamer, Walsh, Kelly, Eccles, Sheaf? Theres been times this year we have had to play with 3 CM's with either Shipley or Allen playing as one. I think if signing Walsh and James meant that Eccles had to go out on loan then Robins would do it.

Agree. Loan Eccles out and then allow for Kelly’s inevitable 20 games out injured you’ve James, Hamer, Walsh and Sheaf vying for potentially three positions. With further injuries at CM it’s a fine selection for this league. That said, you’d think all but Eccles may be expecting to start every week when fit.

slowpoke

Eccles won’t go out on loan too versatile ideal for the eighteen player squad and that’s a crucial point at times last season due to our chronic injury situation our bench was weak leaving Robins with little room to change things during the game that improved towards the latter end of the season and we were better for it.

Liquid Gold

Eccles won’t go out on loan too versatile ideal for the eighteen player squad and that’s a crucial point at times last season due to our chronic injury situation our bench was weak leaving Robins with little room to change things during the game that improved towards the latter end of the season and we were better for it.
You’d like to think that with a proper season not so condensed injuries aren’t going to be such a problem. Keeping Eccles around for a bit part here and there isn’t going to be the best for his development. Even if we sold Hamer I’d consider sending him out to L1 for a season. It would be best for us and him if he can start 40 games next season.

Garryb80

Allen will most likely move on so this will be his improved replacement

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don’t think having Walsh, Hamer, James, Kelly, Sheaf is too many CM’s considering we play with at least 3 CM’s. That’s 5 fantastic options for 3 positions

• Kelly is obviously in,

I agree there is arguably space for all of them. Maybe Walsh becoming available means that Eccles is more likely to get another season out on loan whereas initial plans were to have him here.

Kelly is almost guaranteed to be injured for a month or two. Walsh may be a bit of a risk given his injuries too.

I reckon the one we're most likely to miss out on is James. He was earning a lot more at Leicester and his experience etc will probably see him have more suitors than Walsh, and thus the wages, which are probably already at the limit of what we can offer, go beyond our reach. Plus the club model would suggest they would prefer the younger more saleable option.

I think the next most likely scenario is that Hamer is sold for a decent fee and Walsh brought in as a replacement so we can use the money to bring in players in other positions like ST, GK, LWB and CB.

rexo87

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs 'City Away Kit' Kit

If we are looking to push on and finish mid table then I would see Walsh as a pretty big gamble. He hasn’t played for a year, considered surplus to requirements by a team we finished above in the league and we all acknowledge the gap between League One and the Championship is a massive one. Even without the lack of game time to get over, it would take half a season to get used to the league, look how we struggled to get into any real rhythm as a newly promoted team and Walsh would be making that leap having not played for a season.

Frostie

Yeah, he's just an aggregator, better than most admittedly, but it's all stuff that's in the public domain elsewhere.

My new favourite is this guy:

Largely illiterate, clearly a kid, 'reports' things days after they are elsewhere whilst claiming to be an 'Insider' with contacts at the club.

Somehow people lap it up! 🤷🏼‍♂️ 😆
Screenshot_20210515-133305~2.png

Tommo1993

Yeah, he's just an aggregator, better than most admittedly, but it's all stuff that's in the public domain elsewhere.

My new favourite is this guy:
View attachment 20097

Largely illiterate, clearly a kid, 'reports' things days after they are elsewhere whilst claiming to be an 'Insider' with contacts at the club.

Somehow people lap it up! 🤷🏼‍♂️ 😆

Ha. You beat me to it by seconds!

It’s so sad. ‘Insider’

Liquid Gold

I’m also sick of ‘Sky Blue Hub’ he used to do a good job of retweeting city fan opinions so you didn’t have to follow everyone. Now he chimes in with his own banal opinion on everything and even tried to get Uber eats credits.

Tommo1993

Taking rumours from that bullshit EFLZone would be like Stevie Wonder showing Ray Charles around the ring road

Users who are viewing this thread