Liam Walsh (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
If you could call him up, you’d be daft not to! Although when he first arrived I didn’t think he fitted where we were playing him (more holding role as he came in to cover for the injured Kelly). But when Kelly came back and they played together he was immense!

mark82

Imagine if he played and Bristol City got promoted. Not many players would be able to say they got promoted twice in one season.

My hope is that he plays, doesn't impress and Bristol City get promoted - then they can chuck him our way.

CCFC54321

Imagine if he played and Bristol City got promoted. Not many players would be able to say they got promoted twice in one season.

My hope is that he plays, doesn't impress and Bristol City get promoted - then they can chuck him our way.
I’d imagine Robins will be watching this one closely for the remaining games left. If he hasn’t played or struggled to make their squad I’d imagine Robins will make an offer for Walsh. If he can’t make their squad then crikey they must have some midfielders at that club!!!

SkyBlueScottie

Generally he was excellent, started halves slowly sometimes and made a couple of mistakes, one that lead to a goal. When he was in the game he was excellent all round, passing, tackling, game management, technique all brilliant.
Absolute bang on in that assessment. I always think that midfielders don't hit their peak until later in their career, as it's the hardest position to learn on the pitch. So for him to have few faults at this age and stage in his career is not meant as a criticism, just highlighting areas where he can and probably will improve as he plays more games. The fact that he was an integral part of a title winning team, and one that played such good football means he is more than equipped to handle the step up.

skyblueelephant76

The change in rules has a number of conditions that has to be met. Unless BC have a huge injury crisis Walsh won't be playing.

"However, Bristol City fans should not get too excited just yet.

The following circumstances must be fulfilled:

• - the Player is returning from a curtailed division
  • - the Transferee Club has not qualified to participate in a Play-Off Competition
  • - without including the Player on the Team Sheet, the Transferor Club would be unable to fulfil all available places on the Team Sheet
  • - the Transferor Club gives priority to its under 23 players, Scholars and other Academy Players who have made at least one First Team appearance in a League Match (or a Premier League Match) for the Transferor Club; and
  • - the Player has not been on loan to more than one Club during Season 2019/20."

mark82

The change in rules has a number of conditions that has to be met. Unless BC have a huge injury crisis Walsh won't be playing.

"However, Bristol City fans should not get too excited just yet.

The following circumstances must be fulfilled:

• - the Player is returning from a curtailed division
  • - the Transferee Club has not qualified to participate in a Play-Off Competition
  • - without including the Player on the Team Sheet, the Transferor Club would be unable to fulfil all available places on the Team Sheet
  • - the Transferor Club gives priority to its under 23 players, Scholars and other Academy Players who have made at least one First Team appearance in a League Match (or a Premier League Match) for the Transferor Club; and
  • - the Player has not been on loan to more than one Club during Season 2019/20."

Can't see that being likely then.

rob9872

Exactly. I think we can all agree that, good as Sterling was, Dabo is a level above that.

Just because one player can't step up, doesn't mean others can't. Also depends a lot on whether the system they're in suits them.
Disagree with this and Dabo was my player of the season. He's 23/24, Sterling we had at 18. He was raw and made mistakes, but in the same way you could see McCallum had something a bit special for the level, I think Dujon did too. Be interesting to see where they are in a few years as I think both will play Prem (hopefully with us for Fanky lol) but I think Dujon will have the better career.

mark82

Disagree with this and Dabo was my player of the season. He's 23/24, Sterling we had at 18. He was raw and made mistakes, but in the same way you could see McCallum had something a bit special for the level, I think Dujon did too. Be interesting to see where they are in a few years as I think both will play Prem (hopefully with us for Fanky lol) but I think Dujon will have the better career.

Dujon has bags of potential and I've no doubt he'll make it at the top level (or at the very least Championship). Was more comparing their comparative levels with us, where I feel Dabo was a step up.

sw88

Chief Commentator!

without wanting to turn it in to a Sterling / Dabo comparison thread, I do agree to a degree, although I always felt Sterling needed a lot of work on his defensive side of his game. Attacking wise, and some of his crosses were great, but defensively he was suspect where as I think Dabo has it all. Agreed that there is quite an age difference though so he may yet learn

cc84cov

without wanting to turn it in to a Sterling / Dabo comparison thread, I do agree to a degree, although I always felt Sterling needed a lot of work on his defensive side of his game. Attacking wise, and some of his crosses were great, but defensively he was suspect where as I think Dabo has it all. Agreed that there is quite an age difference though so he may yet learn
I remember at the start of the season some people on here didn’t rate Dabo

D

Deleted member 11652

Walsh, like most of our signings this season, had a mixed start. He quickly became a top top player and arguably the best central midfielder in the league. He deserves a chance at Bristol and I would be very surprised if he doesn't end up as a top end championship / premier league player.

skyblueinBaku

Walsh, like most of our signings this season, had a mixed start. He quickly became a top top player and arguably the best central midfielder in the league. He deserves a chance at Bristol and I would be very surprised if he doesn't end up as a top end championship / premier league player.
I think that he also deseves a chance to carry on the good work at CCFC!

Specs WT-R75

I think way more than that honestly

He's unproven in the championship so to be paying silly money at this stage would be a complete gamble. Which is ultimately why he will probably end up playing for Bristol next year and then they will find out one way or another...hope I am wrong.

cc84cov

He's unproven in the championship so to be paying silly money at this stage would be a complete gamble. Which is ultimately why he will probably end up playing for Bristol next year and then they will find out one way or another...hope I am wrong.
For me he’s clearly a championship player having seen what I have last season from Walsh he’s far too good for league 1 football

rob9872

If the reports of us spending £1.4m on Hamer are true, I wonder if that amount could have been enough to ease Bristol for Walsh?
I was speaking on the phone with someone who posts here infrequently, who has a friend in Holland (yeah I appreciate it's a tenuous link) but rated Hamer very, very highly indeed and suggested a genuine coup if we pull this off at that price. I hope he's right. In Robins we trust :)

Specs WT-R75

For me he’s clearly a championship player having seen what I have last season from Walsh he’s far too good for league 1 football

I'm inclined to agree. But silly money? Sensible money would be 1-2m but I think you would be needing to talk 4-5 just to get round the table...

Evo1883

Started slow , ended up being Paul Scholes... Hope this helps.

Wish him all the best

Magwitch

Makes me laugh that people talk about our players being worth £5-6m and then expect us to be able to sign Walsh for £1-1.5m
He is in his final year contract wise, unless he signs another his value will gradually reduce. Not sure the strength of the Bristol City midfield but Walshy needs to become a regular pretty quick imo. Robins will have known the Walsh/ Bristol situation months ago, will know how much he would cost too, might still try and buy or monitor him with the January window in mind or perhaps young Hamer is seen as a replacement, who knows what’s been said between player and manager.

Last edited:

GaryJones

It was Johnson who really wanted Walsh at Bristol City too - if only they had waited a few more days perhaps they might have released him.
Oh well

jto123

I don't really understand why people were ever hopeful of him joining us. Robins basically confirmed at the promotion party that he wouldn't be.

Sky Blue Harry H

Just looked at 3 pages of Bristol City forum suggesting replacements.
Paul Cook and Warnock seem most popular (along with Ainsworth), Eddie Howe mentioned too - not one mentions MR.

Users who are viewing this thread