Liam kelly (1 Viewer)

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

For those of us not indulging in over the top farewell speeches let's celebrate the new deal for an actual influential player. Liam Kelly signs for 2 more years and the stats show its the right decision.

Let's hope he plays for the next 2 years.

cooperskyblue

Yes, absolutely brilliant to get him tied down. The stats speak for themselves that when he was on the pitch we were a far better team than without him. Let's hope he can recover fully and play a bigger part next season.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would never have pleased at this news when we were in league two, he always slowed the play but he has become far more influential and is better all round player than he was then and deserved a new deal.

Esoterica

I would never have pleased at this news when we were in league two, he always slowed the play but he has become far more influential and is better all round player than he was then and deserved a new deal.
Spent most of the games at Right Back in L2 where he was clearly instructed to drop in when Grimmer went forward. We had so few progressive passes available with both Doyle and Kelly sitting as deep as they were. Thank god for Viveash because, for me, our tactics were woeful that season until we really had to start winning games. The above is part of the reason why players like Jones, Bayliss and eventually McNulty were successful that season - they could beat a player and make things happen for themselves.

higgs

Great reader of the game astute signing will he be with us 6 seasons when this contract expires?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Paul Anthony

It's obvious the leadership qualities he brings with his experience, he's o valuable to our team.

cc84cov

He did you clown
I know this you boring mongol 😎
giphy.gif

Legia Sky Blue

Until the end of the League 2 season, when he was exceptional, I thought Kelly didn't provide a great deal to the team, playing too many square passes and slowing us down as an attacking threat. With the benefit of hindsight and seeing him play in subsequent seasons I now think this was largely down to him playing to MR's instructions, which at times in League 2 were overly negative. Because of this 'passivity' I didn't see him taking on Doyle's leadership role & I remember disagreeing with Esoterica & Fernando about this at that time. Boy was I wrong though, he has been an inspirational leader, and as the stats show we miss him when he doesn't play. I suspect that over the next 2 seasons he will gradually be displaced, but he more than deserves his new contract.

fatso

I think Kelly along with Fadz and Godden, offer so much to the squad in terms of experience, example and leadership.
Remember when the senior players called a meeting of the squad and dished out some home truthes? You cant quantify what that experience brings to the club, and I'm sure these type of players are MR's eyes and ears at Ryton.

NortonSkyBlue

Kelly would be the first name on my team sheet, in league two he was anchor we had missed for so long, in league one he gave us stability that allowed others to shine, in the championship we were simply better with him in the side.
He doesn’t have pace therefore I can see him being around for a long time unless the injuries catch up with him.
Being phased out ? Suspect he will become more important as time goes on and by the way never gives the ball away(apart from when he does)

rob9872

I know this you boring mongol 😎
Fk me really? Have we gone back a generation? I thought that word had been exiled with the N word and the P word.

Thankfully the C word is fine and perfectly appropriate for obnoxious cunts!

Danceswithhorses

Kelly would be the first name on my team sheet, in league two he was anchor we had missed for so long, in league one he gave us stability that allowed others to shine, in the championship we were simply better with him in the side.
He doesn’t have pace therefore I can see him being around for a long time unless the injuries catch up with him.
Being phased out ? Suspect he will become more important as time goes on and by the way never gives the ball away(apart from when he does)
I still cant believe how good a player he is, based on him coming to us from Orient.
How on earth did a gem like this find himself playing at Orient (and Oldham before ?), when he's clearly so much better than the level those teams played at.

rob9872

I still cant believe how good a player he is, based on him coming to us from Orient.
How on earth did a gem like this find himself playing at Orient (and Oldham before ?), when he's clearly so much better than the level those teams played at.
I think because he's steady and not flash. He never stands out (Wycombe apart) and you notice him more when he's not there. I recon he could coast like that in the Premiership and still not look outstanding if he dropped back to Conference level even now. Your very typical consistent 7/10 week in week out which is less likely to catch a scouts eye. I imagine almost everyone on this board rates him, yet how often do you think any of us have given him a 9 in the ratings or made him motm? I'd guess barely ever.

Esoterica

He had bad luck when he moved to England. Bristol paid to sign him after they'd just been relegated from the Champ and the manager who signed him was sacked a week later and then he did his cruciate halfway through that the season.
Oldham, who were a solid L1 team at the time, then signed him as a makeweight when they sold Korey Smith to Bristol (still playing Champ for Swansea and the deal was rumoured to be >500k +Kelly ) and made him club captain at just 24.
Orient paid good money for him from Oldham, a club record 200k-ish before their mad Italian owner wrecked the club and ended up playing the youth team+Kelly on the way to relegation from L2.

We were really lucky to get him approaching his peak at 27 and the first team to sign him for free.

edgy

Kelly effectiveness varies on our style. I noticed more recently when we started playing more direct from defenders to strikers, he was less effective (obviously). When the midfield got the ball from knock downs, opposition clearances etc, his attempts at the next direct ball wasnt great. James was better in this area, as he can drive forward and is better equipped physically to fend off opposition whilst still going forward with the ball.

Will be interesting to see how we set out early next season. All depends on the strikers we have, I suppose.

Ultimately though he has been exceptional for us and pleased he's staying.

CDK

Brilliant to see Kelly get a 2 year deal along with fadz as both have ability,but also offer expierence and know how.In Kelly what he bring on the pitch is more than anybody else.

Users who are viewing this thread