Liability (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

And a good save on Saturday and onr last night. Name a keeper who doesn't make errors at some point.
Don't get me wrong, I think overall O'Brien is shit :p But given he was the man in possession, and given he'd kept a couple of clean sheets, it'd have been entirely the wrong message to drop him.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Just watched the highlights and here are my observations:
1. A good Sunday morning keeper would have saved the shot in the first half.
2. He didn’t need to come for the first as there was two defenders to deal with the cross.
3. The free kick he pushed over should have been a routine catch.
4. The second goal, his start position was too deep and he hesitated. This indicates a lack of confidence.

Even if Burge is still injured on Saturday, this man cannot keep goal for us. We might as well start with a goal deficit. I will be shocked if he gets a club at any level, non league included, after us.

2-4 agree with. 1 is bollocks. At fault for both goals but having been directly behind the goal it was a cracker of a save

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash

I’ll give him the save in the first half, but his clangers in the second will surely seal his fate. I’ll have nightmares about their second goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cov kid 55

I’d say burge is a decent keeper, improving all the time... Obrien shouts well & that’s about it. Any saves he does are box standard keeper stuff , that you’ll see any given Sunday up the memorial park.... same as his flapping tonight
That was an exceptional save in the first half. Had goal written all over it. Then he made two mistakes, probably slightly less than our other players made all over the park. Having said all of that, Burge needs a recall.

Cavan O'Doherty

But it’s a save that you’d expect him to make. If he’d let that in it would’ve been another one to add to the list of errors.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I played in goal for 95% of my playing career. MR can give me a call if he wants to. I'm 65, dodgy ticker, chronic arthritis and wear a knee brace to stop my leg from collapsing under me, but I'd still turn up and play me heart out! No bleedin' pride in the shirt anymore!

Brighton Sky Blue

I played in goal for 95% of my playing career. MR can give me a call if he wants to. I'm 65, dodgy ticker, chronic arthritis and wear a knee brace to stop my leg from collapsing under me, but I'd still turn up and play me heart out! No bleedin' pride in the shirt anymore!

And even you would've beaten him to that second goal.

CovUpNorth

Liam o’brien - liability!!!
Two goals from him coming out and flapping it , when he should’t have ... and you can look at my past posts and see I’m not a keeper basher. Played the position myself
No doubt he’ll be dropped for Saturday, there’s no excusing those mistakes.

Grendel

Still surprised no one has criticised Burge for the equaliser it looked like he scored from virtually the goal line

Otis

Bad defending from the entire right hand side. That goal was totally preventable.

Marty

I agree with the disallowed goal, should have dealt with it better.

The goal definitely could have been defender better, not sure many keepers at this level would have done better to be honest, there player hit it so hard you could hear it ping off the post at the opposite end of the stadium. It should never have got to the point where he could have gotten a shot away.

Burge and Grimmer were light years ahead of O'Brien and Sterling on yesterdays performance.

Garryb80

I agree with the disallowed goal, should have dealt with it better.

The goal definitely could have been defender better, not sure many keepers at this level would have done better to be honest, there player hit it so hard you could hear it ping off the post at the opposite end of the stadium. It should never have got to the point where he could have gotten a shot away.

Burge and Grimmer were light years ahead of O'Brien and Sterling on yesterdays performance.
So you say it should have been defended better then say grimmer was light years ahead of sterling.. He was the defender who let him get past him! I agree grimmer deserved a chance but this blind love in from many fans is getting to creepy levels now as clearly he is immune to any criticism at all

stupot07

Tbf the modern balls dip and serve all over the place, the disallowed goal was blasted at an awkward height at burge we can't see from that angle how much the ball moved, can't see many keepers in the league doing much better with that.

For the goal, looks as though Thomas coming back to double up on the winger and has got in the way, once these got passed him and into the box grimmer can't really tackle him as he would have brought him down for a pen.

Grimmer is rightly trying to delay the attacker and not over commit, as there are 2 runners central.
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
28e08b5a1f0a0338fa6560db5b46eb76.jpg

Thomas is closing down the winger
adf5d3ff10ef98fc94614e0cf25bedd8.jpg

Thomas gets himself between the winger and grimmer**
742aecb65bd06029c5b569a31e3f645d.jpg

The wingers got past grimmer, and any real attempt for the ball would have probably resulted in a pen.
df17013a9fb185f102f1162fa35338d7.jpg

**I'd have liked Thomas to have let grimmer close him down and for him to go on the cover.

Last edited:

luwalla

yeah the goal was disappointing yesterday, should have been dealt with before he had a chance to get a shot in.

Marty

So you say it should have been defended better then say grimmer was light years ahead of sterling.. He was the defender who let him get past him! I agree grimmer deserved a chance but this blind love in from many fans is getting to creepy levels now as clearly he is immune to any criticism at all

Yes! What's difficult to understand? He should have done better and was partially at fault for the goal, but he was a lot more solid defensively and attacking wise then sterling has been at any point this season.

I critise Burge all the time, he's not good enough if we want to progress up the league's but despite saying that he's still best option we have.

Garryb80

Yes! What's difficult to understand? He should have done better and was partially at fault for the goal, but he was a lot more solid defensively and attacking wise then sterling has been at any point this season.

I critise Burge all the time, he's not good enough if we want to progress up the league's but despite saying that he's still best option we have.
In that sterling and obrien are roundly criticised yet played in 2 clean sheets.... Grimmer and burge both have fault in the goal yet nowhere near the level of abuse. Seems if you are local or chat on social media it allows you to have shit games or make mistakes

Marty

In that sterling and obrien are roundly criticised yet played in 2 clean sheets.... Grimmer and burge both have fault in the goal yet nowhere near the level of abuse. Seems if you are local or chat on social media it allows you to have shit games or make mistakes

I'm really not sure what you're getting at. Check my history, I regularly criticise/praise all players and management staff when they deserve it.

Adge

I'm really not sure what you're getting at. Check my history, I regularly criticise/praise all players and management staff when they deserve it.
And quite right you are too! Some people though seem to have a problem when younger players are criticised especially if it's “one of our own” :emoji_sleeping:

Last edited:

Gilbo

Burge was slatted at every opportunity last season, even when he had a good game. No goalkeeper in League 1 would have held that shot, therefore a defender should be expecting a rebound. Burge did his job there. Maybe he could have got up quicker however, we don’t know how fit he is.

Otis

Burge was slatted at every opportunity last season, even when he had a good game. No goalkeeper in League 1 would have held that shot, therefore a defender should be expecting a rebound. Burge did his job there. Maybe he could have got up quicker however, we don’t know how fit he is.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Nonleagueherewecome

More Thomas's fault though. Burge and Grimmer are miles better than Sterling and O'Brien, that's plain to see.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah, cos it wasn't their fault, we had a much better performance overall, and they both proved themselves last season.

Users who are viewing this thread