Level Playing Field - Please Explain (1 Viewer)

covboy1987

We keep hearing that Coventry City Business plan is keep things tight work within a small budget - Personally think that Philosophy is more suitable to a Crewe, Doncaster, Fleetwood, not a big city club like Cov with a decent size fan base -However please someone explain how the likes of Bournemouth and Fulham can spend money for fun and have half a dozen players sitting on the bench on £15,000 + a week - when they get attendances Bournemouth 9,000 Fulham average 17,000 way below Cov attendances - how for instance do they pass the financial fair play rules

Sky Blue Pete

We keep hearing that Coventry City Business plan is keep things tight work within a small budget - Personally think that Philosophy is more suitable to a Crewe, Doncaster, Fleetwood, not a big city club like Cov with a decent size fan base -However please someone explain how the likes of Bournemouth and Fulham can spend money for fun and have half a dozen players sitting on the bench on £15,000 + a week - when they get attendances Bournemouth 9,000 Fulham average 17,000 way below Cov attendances - how for instance do they pass the financial fair play rules
Don’t need to pass them if you go up, you are covered under different rules.
Also parachute payments are a huge destabilising factor in the championship and need a massive rethink

BigadamL

Parachute payments simple as that. Kept some big earners because of it who are just ok at prem level but better then the championship

Grendel

Parachute payments simple as that. Kept some big earners because of it who are just ok at prem level but better then the championship

Bournemouth paid players £30m in the promotion season. They paid Kenwyne Jones £30,000 a week for a few weeks as a loan from Stoke.

Lost £38 million that year and that’s before any premier league money

Deity

Those that advocate we compete based on a sustainable self sufficient business model are purists. It’s the equivalent of a pro cyclist not taking supplements and drugs. You can have the high moral ground but you ultimately you can’t compete. You fall just short.

None of us want SISU to be reckless but some sensible investment in January, maybe a good quality loan could have made the difference.

stupot07

Fulham and Bournemouth are both owned by billionaires, so on top of parachute payments have very deep pockets.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SkyBlueMatt

It's a simple answer, parachute payments and mega rich owners. Along side the fact they are established yo-yo sides and have been for many years. Which helps build up assets over time, us on the other hand have come from L2. Their squad is made up of multiple top Championship calibre players in every position, we have half a dozen at best.

Over the last 5 years the two clubs have made considerable income from player sales.

Fulham - £45 million
Bournemouth - £157 million

A bit of extra investment wouldn't hurt but now we have or will have 4 very valuable assets. Hopefully lessons have been learnt and when those players are sold, the money (or some/most of it) is reinvested wisely.

The progression we've made, the last few years has been fantastic. A credit to Robins, his staff and the players. I trust him to make some smart moves this summer to push us even closer.

better days

I suspect Robins will be given a bigger budget this time
He's proved what he can do with limited resources
Hedge funds are in the risk business and know they have to speculate to accumulate
Robins has proved he can be trusted with their money
As long as he doesn't spend it on magic beans it could be another enjoyable season
Fingers crossed

Frostie

We’re supposed to be following their “model” - I’ll believe it when I see £100m investment to get us into the Premier League

They speculated to accumulate of course but also got huge returns on investment with player sales. The difference with Brentford & why they're rightly heralded is they didn't break FFP rules to do it.

SlowerThanPlatt

They speculated to accumulate of course but also got huge returns on investment with player sales. The difference with Brentford & why they're rightly heralded is they didn't break FFP rules to do it.

Yes my point is we’re not following their model despite Boddy’s adamance

Frostie

Yes my point is we’re not following their model despite Boddy’s adamance

Yeah. Depends what he means by it though & if you take it literally. I assume he means the theory behind identifying & signing undervalued talent which perform well & help you climb the league & then can be sold on at vastly inflated profits & repeat the cycle. This is what, in theory, should happen with Gyökeres, Hamer, O'Hare, Sheaf etc. The way the Brentford ownership put money in though (and don't charge interest on it) is very different I agree.

SlowerThanPlatt

Yeah. Depends what he means by it though & if you take it literally. I assume he means the theory behind identifying & signing undervalued talent which perform well & help you climb the league & then can be sold on at vastly inflated profits & repeat the cycle. This is what, in theory, should happen with Gyökeres, Hamer, O'Hare, Sheaf etc. The way the Brentford ownership put money in though (and don't charge interest on it) is very different I agree.

They’re never under pressure to sell unlike us which in return means they can get top money or keep them for another year for the value to increase. They had a lot of success scouting abroad too but our manager has publicly said our forays haven’t been good enough

Asked if City are still looking to unearth potential gems in the European market or whether more red tape brought about by Brexit has changed the club’s policy now that there are more bureaucratic hoops to jump through, Robins told Coventry Live : “I think the reality of that is that it could be a good thing because it hasn’t always been a success. It’s been a limited success we have had. Certainly we have to do better, there’s no doubt about that.”

Last edited:

Frostie

They’re never under pressure to sell unlike us which in return means they can get top money or keep them for another year for the value to increase. They had a lot of success scouting abroad too but our manager has publicly said our forays haven’t been good enough

Agree completely

Torquay Sky Blue

Hedge funds are in the risk business and know they have to speculate to accumulate
As long as he doesn't spend it on magic beans it could be another enjoyable season
Fingers crossed
Isn't Magic Beans in the NBA

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Fingers crossed
So I’m going to run away with this - I’m taking that as we’ve got 50m to spend, promotion is assured and I should get my mortgage on promotion?

if not blame you?

Advie

I imagine with the way things are in the UK, all teams out of the prem are going to be very careful with money for a while. The cost of living will hurt entertainment first as people stop spending as much.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Income from elsewhere such as merchandising, Tv revenue, parachute payments, sponsors, owner Im sure there is a lot more

Users who are viewing this thread