Letter to Telegraph (1 Viewer)

wingy

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-telegraph-letters-june-20-4687452

Hilarious - This has to be Fisher or someone else on the inside. The telegraph don't even print the name of the sender yet they do for all the other letters?

Apparently we're to blame for this mess. Now i agree that we have a lot of fairweather fans - but we're definitely not to blame!

It does say Name and address supplied ,whether that means they'd provide it who knows .
I'm betting its Japandy who had a similar rant on here Yesterday or another likeminded from GMK.:mad::p:facepalm:

jimmyhillsfanclub

The author probably requested anonymity to avoid some of the cocks on here threatening to do his windows, or picket his kids school or similar.

For the record, I think the letter makes some good points......

RFC

It's a very well put together letter and raises some interesting points, I've supported the Club & the Team for more years than I care to remember and intend to continue to do so!

_brian_

Ignore that first letter! It blatantly doesn't agree with what we all think! Read the one below it from Tony Harris - now that's more like it! Tony's completely in the right as his viewpoint matches mine!!! You go, Tony!

Never got the logic of blaming the fans. They're the customers. If the customers are no longer paying for the product then it's the business's fault. Never the customers' fault!

Without wanting to repeat myself:
The customer is always right (f*ck off SISU).

lordsummerisle

Wondered how long it would take before somebody suggested it would be written by Fisher.

The very first post!

Well done, some sort of record even for SBT!

kingharvest

Wondered how long it would take before somebody suggested it would be written by Fisher.

The very first post!

I'd normally be with you on that - I've met Fisher a lot and actually think some of what he's done over the past 2 years has been to the benefit of the club - but the language used in the letter, the phrases, are so close to Fishers output over the past 3 to 4 weeks that its just uncanny. That's the only reason i brought it up, i'm fine with people who think what SISU are doing is right - i'm only drawing attention to the content of the letter and the timing of it.

just thinks its an interesting 'coincidence' is all

wingy

The very first post!

The Irony being lord that the Poster does indeed know fisher and the way he works and writes the occasional blog ,far more neutral than I could ever be.

SBS

Never got the logic of blaming the fans. They're the customers. If the customers are no longer paying for the product then it's the business's fault. Never the customers' fault!

Without wanting to repeat myself:
The customer is always right (f*ck off SISU).

I wouldn't say the fans who turn up every week are to blame. The problem with the supporters is the 20000 who turned up at the Crewe game for the first time since we played Chelsea. I still wouldn't use the word "blame" though, we've been too shit for too long and I think we've lost a generation of potential loyal supporters.

lordsummerisle

I'd normally be with you on that - I've met Fisher a lot and actually think some of what he's done over the past 2 years has been to the benefit of the club - but the language used in the letter, the phrases, are so close to Fishers output over the past 3 to 4 weeks that its just uncanny. That's the only reason i brought it up, i'm fine with people who think what SISU are doing is right - i'm only drawing attention to the content of the letter and the timing of it.

just thinks its an interesting 'coincidence' is all

I'm sure though that if you write a letter to any newspaper, even if you request anonymity, you have to give them your full name a and address so they can check you are a real person.

May not be the case nowadays though, as the internet(as proved on here) doesn't require real names at all to pass comment.

Astute

"The main reason for the downfall of Coventry City in recent seasons is that too many fans have deserted them after relegation, resulting in lost revenue and the inability to justify or maintain high rent costs."

Would have been a good comment other than we know who caused the downfall from where we were by selling any player that they could get any money for including any player that scored goals for us. The continual downgrading of our squad made fans give up. I suppose it had nothing to do with getting rid of most of our 1st team and replacing them with.......um let me think......we were under an embargo that time as well :facepalm:

Otis

'The main reason for the downfall of Coventry City in recent seasons is that too many fans have deserted them after relegation, resulting in lost revenue and the inability to justify or maintain high rent costs.'

Any why I wonder? Cos people like AT came out and promised this and promised that, 'flying start,' 'Cody top scorer,' 'hit the ground running,' 'best squad in this league' blah, blah, blah.

And they we under achieved .... yet again.

It is the on field failures that have led to the fans drifting away. You have a successful team then the fans will come back. All we have had these past 14 or so years is the stench of failure.

Failure does not put bums on seats.

(unless it is the House of Lords).

wingy

They did reduce their own Income for whatever reason the season before relegation by cutting ST prices that could have kept a Juke or a Keogh or a Westwood.:(

Paxman II

...and here's the issue right here now. You all refuse to accept the letters content and make rash remarks about it, play guess the author and the like and completely shut yourselves down from the realty of what it is trying to convey. There's a valid point about the fans because we are a fickle lot and tend to only turn up when we do well (JPT semi a point in case) Some of you are taking this far too personal.
This vicious circle of rattling on about a new phoenix club, constantly forgetting ACL and the councils stance in all of this, equal perhaps in blame as SISU, so seems to me you prefer to follow like sheep whichever courts favour more on these forums rather than express true opinion backed with good reasoning.

Who the hell wants to support a Phoenix club when we have the original Sky Blues? Ground share, new stadium or whatever is only temporary and so are SISU. You all seem to forget that.

Sub

...and here's the issue right here now. You all refuse to accept the letters content and make rash remarks about it, play guess the author and the like and completely shut yourselves down from the realty of what it is trying to convey. There's a valid point about the fans because we are a fickle lot and tend to only turn up when we do well (JPT semi a point in case) Some of you are taking this far too personal.
This vicious circle of rattling on about a new phoenix club, constantly forgetting ACL and the councils stance in all of this, equal perhaps in blame as SISU, so seems to me you prefer to follow like sheep whichever courts favour more on these forums rather than express true opinion backed with good reasoning.

Who the hell wants to support a Phoenix club when we have the original Sky Blues? Ground share, new stadium or whatever is only temporary and so are SISU. You all seem to forget that.

perhaps its just temporary that all the fans have turned their back on the club, untill the owners, ground share and crap dissapear and the fans can do what they want to do support a team to be proud of and support owners who can be trusted

Astute

Only turn up when we do well? Name our last top 6 finish? Name the last time we were top of the table. Name the last season where we didn't look like relegation contenders at some stage of the season.

Our attendances are good considering the shite we have put up with. Our away support is something special considering our away results most seasons. I would love to see our support if we did manage to do well for once.

Evo1883

Its very hard to blame the fans ,if coventry had been a club like west brom over the last 12 years ,yo yoing up and down granted they are staying up now ,but our average attendance would be hitting the 18-22k region as fans would have hope and optimsm, its hard to maintain a good average attendance when you have been poor for so so long ,its unrealistic ,a succesful promising side in coventry would produce a good gate ,a poor one will produce a poor gate ,with poor owners even less .

Paxman II

perhaps its just temporary that all the fans have turned their back on the club, untill the owners, ground share and crap dissapear and the fans can do what they want to do support a team to be proud of and support owners who can be trusted

If you wait around for that sub then there will be no club to support? This sentiment crap has to stop. I'll go to games and support my team with all it's wonderful history and hope through supporting the team, as the majority will, it will be relatively successful again and we finally see the phase of poor ownership gone.
If you think you can just throw your hands in the air and say "OK I'm done, hate the current owners so I'll not go support them until they've gone" really isn't solving anything is it?
Lets get one thing clear. We all dislike SISU. But we all love our football club. I support them not the the faceless benefactors that currently run them.
If everyone who maintains this ludicrous stance then lease don't come back on here discussing the football team, the players SISU purchase, the contracts they give players etc because you hate them right? You won't support them anymore right?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

It could be the view of a genuine fan. It could be the penmanship of someone associated with SISU. It could be the work of a Telegraph journalist, trying to cause a stir to sell more papers...

It's a stance I find myself hard to align myself with. Still, such is life....

Evo1883

If coventry would Just Cut the crap ,be honest:claping hands: and start with the basics ,get a good young thriving side that excite the fans , a good young manager to go with it ,good attacking football , we would attract a decent following even in league 1 around 15k if the basics were there .
its that the club is so twisted and broken from top to bottom everybody has just given up

Paxman II

Only turn up when we do well? Name our last top 6 finish? Name the last time we were top of the table. Name the last season where we didn't look like relegation contenders at some stage of the season.

Our attendances are good considering the shite we have put up with. Our away support is something special considering our away results most seasons. I would love to see our support if we did manage to do well for once.

You answered your own question. When we did well last season we had good attendances including the remarkable full house for the JPT did we not? Away support was great too as we were unbeaten in so many games I can't remember. That tailed off when we got deducted points and just proves what a fickle lot of supporters we have.

Astute

If you wait around for that sub then there will be no club to support? This sentiment crap has to stop. I'll go to games and support my team with all it's wonderful history and hope through supporting the team, as the majority will, it will be relatively successful again and we finally see the phase of poor ownership gone.
If you think you can just throw your hands in the air and say "OK I'm done, hate the current owners so I'll not go support them until they've gone" really isn't solving anything is it?
Lets get one thing clear. We all dislike SISU. But we all love our football club. I support them not the the faceless benefactors that currently run them.
If everyone who maintains this ludicrous stance then lease don't come back on here discussing the football team, the players SISU purchase, the contracts they give players etc because you hate them right? You won't support them anymore right?

Under SISU we have gone downhill fast. Now we might have to travel to go to home games. Yet some think we ought to ignore this matter and carry on as usual. Many can't afford to do this. We have many STH's that have never been to an away game or at least have only done a couple because of cost. These supporters won't be a STH this coming season if we play out of Cov. This is before the ones that have had enough of what has gone on since SISU came on the scene. Yet you think we have done well as we had a run in the Paintpot. So we did well in the paintpot as we got relegated to our lowest position in nearly 50 years :mad:

Paxman II

Its very hard to blame the fans ,if coventry had been a club like west brom over the last 12 years ,yo yoing up and down granted they are staying up now ,but our average attendance would be hitting the 18-22k region as fans would have hope and optimsm, its hard to maintain a good average attendance when you have been poor for so so long ,its unrealistic ,a succesful promising side in coventry would produce a good gate ,a poor one will produce a poor gate ,with poor owners even less .

There you just said it yourself. Now is that not the aim of every football club? poor owners should not make a difference whether you watch your club or not. The Glazier's are poor owners, even breakaway support has started a football club as some wish here, but I don't see their teams support eroding because of it?

Sub

The way things are going though pax there wont be a club anyway (in coventry) i dont hate people for going to support the team and i dont hate the people that dont, i chose not to hand my hard earned money over to a company that lie, twist and bend the rules and treat the customers (fans) like shit, will i see if the city have won on telly yes, will i travel from stoke on trent to watch them not now no. if i have to step away from the club (as many have said they will) to drive the owners out so be it does it make me a bad fan? maybe but i believe what i am doing is right (so do many others) many like you say will support the team by turning up that is their choice, we all seem to be trying to achieve the same thing get rid of SISU the only difference is we approach it from oppersite ends of the street, hopefully we will meet in the middle somewhere, but im at the point where i dont enjoy going up there anymore and i am not going to pay to support a bunch of owners that constantly bullshit, the CCFC experience is no longer enjoyable its a chore and if our owners think moving the club to another city for three years will fix this they are sorely mistaken:(:(:(

Astute

You answered your own question. When we did well last season we had good attendances including the remarkable full house for the JPT did we not? Away support was great too as we were unbeaten in so many games I can't remember. That tailed off when we got deducted points and just proves what a fickle lot of supporters we have.

A good attendance @ £5 a ticket in a tournament for Div 3 and Div 4 teams makes our fans fickle? I'm sorry......didn't know that our point deduction and poor finish to last season was the fault of our fickle fans :(

Paxman II

Under SISU we have gone downhill fast. Now we might have to travel to go to home games. Yet some think we ought to ignore this matter and carry on as usual. Many can't afford to do this. We have many STH's that have never been to an away game or at least have only done a couple because of cost. These supporters won't be a STH this coming season if we play out of Cov. This is before the ones that have had enough of what has gone on since SISU came on the scene. Yet you think we have done well as we had a run in the Paintpot. So we did well in the paintpot as we got relegated to our lowest position in nearly 50 years :mad:

I can't afford to buy anew car. I want a what I deserve. But life isn't always so convenient is it? The rough with the smooth sometimes has to be accepted. Not all the people all the time can be satisfied.

Evo1883

OUR SUPPORT IS GOOD CONSIDERING THE CRAP WE GET SERVED ,ALL TIME AVERAGE ATTENDANCE TABLE SINCE 1889
attendances-all-time.gif

Astute

The way things are going though pax there wont be a club anyway (in coventry) i dont hate people for going to support the team and i dont hate the people that dont, i chose not to hand my hard earned money over to a company that lie, twist and bend the rules and treat the customers (fans) like shit, will i see if the city have won on telly yes, will i travel from stoke on trent to watch them not now no. if i have to step away from the club (as many have said they will) to drive the owners out so be it does it make me a bad fan? maybe but i believe what i am doing is right (so do many others) many like you say will support the team by turning up that is their choice, we all seem to be trying to achieve the same thing get rid of SISU the only difference is we approach it from oppersite ends of the street, hopefully we will meet in the middle somewhere, but im at the point where i dont enjoy going up there anymore and i am not going to pay to support a bunch of owners that constantly bullshit, the CCFC experience is no longer enjoyable its a chore and if our owners think moving the club to another city for three years will fix this they are sorely mistaken:(:(:(

So true.

Why should I spend on average £250 for a home game when I can spend the same on an away game that is much more enjoyable?

stupot07

OUR SUPPORT IS GOOD CONSIDERING THE CRAP WE GET SERVED ,ALL TIME AVERAGE ATTENDANCE TABLE SINCE 1889
attendances-all-time.gif

Who cares about post war? Norwich, Southampton, forest, etc all averaged 20k+ in league one on a few seasons a go. The last 10-12 years is the most relevant time frame.

Users who are viewing this thread