"Let’s be clear, we absolutely want the football club to stay at the Ricoh" (4 Viewers)

Otis

As divided as ever....gillingham seems to long ago..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Maybe the missing 16,000 for the second game are all Wasps supporters.

Don't turn up, deflate the fans, send the negotiating team in for the kill.

Last edited:

Calista

The exact nature of the proposal is not yet clear. This is taken from the statement on the Wasps website :-
“Wasps has made no secret of our desire to find a permanent home which reflects the ambitions of the Club. We have ALSO been exploring opportunities for high-profile European games, should we progress to the knock-out stages, as those games have to be played at a stadium which has a minimum capacity of 15,000.”

I’ve capitalised the word “also” myself, because it seems to suggest that their permanent home would be under 15,000, thus requiring a bigger place to play top European matches? Either way, their backers might fancy the Ricoh purely as an investment. On top of the Rugby and the events and exhibitions, there could be some profit in renting it out to the local football club - which happens to have nowhere else to play in its home city and has bafflingly let a stake in the business slip through its fingers.

Of course, it would be far better for CCFC if the boot was on the other foot and we were charging Wasps to play there. I doubt that our scavenger owners could compete for the Ricoh with proper investors, but maybe as has been suggested they are somehow on board with all of this?

Whatever way you look at it, this latest development doesn’t do much for SISU’s claims that the stadium business is almost worthless, or that the Council has been wasting public money backing a dead duck.

I’m not usually an optimist (especially where the Sky Blues are concerned), but I would hope that if money was going to be put into the Ricoh, the Council would ensure that CCFC were an integral part of the plan. I also hope that Wasps remain true to their fan base and only see Coventry as a potential venue for the big games. If we were simply kicked into touch by a Rugby franchise, and the Wasps & Cov RFC supporters were trampled on, it would be a total disgrace and heads would roll.

J

Jack Griffin

ACL's job is to rent out a stadium complex.CCFC/ SISU's job is to acheive sporting success in the football world.

ACL seem to be getting better at their job, and CCFC are mid-table in the third division.

Our complaints should be directed at the people not doing their job, not the ones getting on with their job.

I don't think so

J

Jack Griffin

Just when the Weber Shandwick guys thought they could get a well deserved rest, they get called back in for some overtime.

I'd complain to the union mate.

But they all do PR, CCFC use Advent Communications don't they?
Otherwise why was an Advent Rep present at the last SCG meeting?

http://www.advent-communications.co.uk/
http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/scg-meeting-minutes-august-170914-1924680.aspx

Note, all the parties in this saga use Advent!
Here is a list of our clients. Please click the link to show their details and testimonial in the right hand box >

Acua Solutions Limited
ACUTEC
Aesthetics Events Staff Ltd
Angela Mortimer Group
Baldwins accountants
Band Hatton Button
Blythe Valley Park
CDPW
Chantrey Vellacott DFK
Cooper Solutions
Coventry and Warwickshire Chamber of Commerce
Coventry and Warwickshire Local Enterprise Partnership
Coventry City Council
Coventry City Football Club
Coventry Sports Foundation

CSW Sport
D-Drill
De Marco Solicitors
Deeley Group

DFK International
Discovery Properties
Exact Logistics
Fisher German
GME Springs
Harrison Beale and Owen
Heart of England Community Foundation
Inspire Insurance Services
Kasbah
Kenilworth and District Agricultural Society
KM&T
Legacy Hotels and Resorts
Ludgate Finance
Luxury For Less and Bath Empire
Minerva
Poppleton and Appleby
PS4B
Reeves and Partners
Ricoh Arena
Safteyflex Barriers
SCC
Shortland Penn and Moore
Spencer Gardner Dickins
Stoneleigh Park
TBG Learning
The Student World
University of Warwick Science Park
Wright Hassall

Last edited by a moderator:

letsallsingtogether

You heard the thing about Ken too? We must move in the same 'in the know' circles. Are you on the square?

Just like another poster on here who says he knows it all :thinking about: yet he has kept this very quiet......

Wonder why????

L

limoncello

Just like another poster on here who says he knows it all :thinking about: yet he has kept this very quiet......

Wonder why????

Simon? To be fair, we shared a skinny latte with wings this am and he blew that baby out of the ballpark. Word to the wise: keep 'em peeled on the CET Monday. Lenny B is in da house. Wink.

letsallsingtogether

Simon? To be fair, we shared a skinny latte with wings this am and he blew that baby out of the ballpark. Word to the wise: keep 'em peeled on the CET Monday. Lenny B is in da house. Wink.

Not Simon this one knows more???

L

limoncello

Nearly an hour mate hahahahaha. Hahahaha. Hahaha. Hahaha. Haha. I've got Philip Glass on the remix. Umberto Eco did the sleeve notes. Boom.

Paxman II

SISU back off the Ricoh because of extortionate levels of rent lets not forget. That ended with a protest of moving away for 12 months. ACL and SISU have seen some sense in a deal back at the Ricoh at far less extortion than was ever agreed before (be it temporary at the moment) The options are there for approaches from either side to now find a way that will satisfy the football club to stay at the Ricoh. That must include more proprietorship of the stadium as a whole in order to make the football club sustainable. That's easy to understand. If ACl won't budge on the stance it is not for sale then we have an impasse. Whether a lease or freehold sale the council and ACL along with other contracted interest must see a case for that. SISU have a rightful obligation to appeal the case still which may yet prove worthwhile, who can say?...but is it any wonder both sides lack trust to go the extra mile and find a way if this continues and now ACL take their own stance with this WASP thing? Goodness me they are as bad as each other. Can't help thinking though that while they made an agreement to return for now ACL just had to throw a spanner in the works? They should have continued talking and working on a long term option now we were back without the side show attraction of another Rugby club taking it on. ACL are half owned by the council and the council own the freehold. As the beacon of our community what are they doing talking about a rugby club from London when we have one in Coventry and the football team is at least for now back in situe?
Regardless whether you support rugby or not WASP would never attract a crowd big enough to utilise the Ricoh enough anyway.
But then who's to say a rugby club can't play there as well as the football club? It's a little bizarre don't you think?
I think there is more smoke and mirrors to all this than anything of substance. When the appeal is either won or lost only then will the two sides start talking about ownership of some sort for CCFC. Lets hope a promotion or two in the interim raises the tempo for that to happen.

Gazolba

I think there is more smoke and mirrors to all this than anything of substance.

SISU/Otium need the Ricoh WAY more than the stadium owners need CCFC. Unless SISU/Otium want to go back to Northampton with 2,000 crowds, the only alternative is spending millions on a new stadium. The Ricoh owners own all the cards since there are plenty of other uses for the Ricoh and several potential teams that could play there. The Wasps are only one possibility.

lordsummerisle

chiefdave

I’ve capitalised the word “also” myself, because it seems to suggest that their permanent home would be under 15,000, thus requiring a bigger place to play top European matches? Either way, their backers might fancy the Ricoh purely as an investment. On top of the Rugby and the events and exhibitions, there could be some profit in renting it out to the local football club - which happens to have nowhere else to play in its home city and has bafflingly let a stake in the business slip through its fingers.

The idea that they would invest in the Ricoh and only use it for Euro games has been mentioned on the Wasps forum as well. Interestingly there seems nowhere near the level of outrage on there that there is on here about the idea. The majority seem to have taken it will never happen stance with the rest arguing if it's a good or bad thing.

From our POV we really need some details of what is being proposed before everyone gets up in arms about it. If there is something to this story then clearly if Wasps fans and / or Cov rugby start a campaign against any move they should have our full support but I don't think it's our place to do it for them.

So if you put that to one side you're left with what in essence is a business transaction. The Ricoh stadium bowl has no permanent tenant, we're only renting for a few hours 20-something days a year for a maximum of 4 years. We're so desperate to not pay them any extra our team photo this year is in the cathedral rather than at the Ricoh! Strip out the emotive argument around franchising and what should be done with the Ricoh, should they just wait for us to move out again and leave it empty? What if they said we've got no tenant so we're going to knock it down?

SISU need to call their bluff. Be clear that they want a stake in the Ricoh, get a valuation and make a formal offer. If they do that and get rejected out of hand then we can put pressure on the stakeholders but we look slightly foolish demanding nobody else gets their hands on the Ricoh when our owners keep saying they are building a new stadium and we don't want or need the Ricoh.

rupert_bear

I was told yesterday that if and he emphasised if this Wasp proposal becomes real and all the cards are put on the table, there will be little objection from the football fans and it could be the first steps towards returning to the football club we once were. Any deal would incorporate the football side of things. Couldn't get any more out of him other than I asked about sisu and he said they are soon to be insignificant and will not be involved in any way, shape or form in any discussions while they pursue the legal route. I asked about for a time scale and he said imminent.

Sky Blue Dal

Even SISU have gone quiet. This is unusual. It has been a few weeks since Fisher moved his lips. Nothing about building, owning, Coventry area or the colour of the seats. Don't you find it a little strange Torch? I would expect to hear lots from them if their plans that had cost them millions so far were about to be gone for good. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if theywere part of the negotiations. Is this the reason they brought our club home?

But no I am supposed to hate everyone and everything to do with these secret talks without knowing any details. I have learned to expect the unexpected with this ongoing saga.

I have this gut feeling to that SISU are quiet for a reason. Hope it is for a good reason.

Users who are viewing this thread