Les Reid interviewing Greg Clark today (1 Viewer)

Voice_of_Reason

I can't tweet, don't have Twitter - but one question (mentioned by OSB) " why couldn't the FL continue allowing CCFC (Holdings) Ltd to continue until this mess was sorted out and before awarding the Golden Share. For several months they had been doing just this when Holdings did not hold the Golden Share"

Can anyone Tweet this please ?

shmmeee

As usual OSBs questions are the most relevant, for me if someone tweets those, especially the one about player registration, and they dont get asked, it shows what sort of journalist Reid is.

I've not got Twitter, can someone make sure he's asked something along the lines of: "When were players first allowed by the FL to be registered with Holdings? Why was this allowed? Will there be measures to stop a similar situation at this or any other club? Will someone take responsibility for this and offer an apology for the distress this mistake has caused CCFC fans?"

EDIT: never mind. Signed up and did it myself.

Last edited:

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
this is from 2011 but presumably is still true and applies to the FL:
http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/Football-Needs-the-Freedom-of-Information-Act.php

"Currently organisations like the Football Association (FA) are exempt from the Freedom of Information Act as are other sporting bodies such as the English Cricket Board, British Cycling Federation, and British Olympic Association (BOA)."

I think it's because they're not strictly a public body. I sent a couple of FOI requests asking about the groundshare with Cobblers, one to the Department for Culture, Media & Sport (who sent back details of emails from the concerned public) and the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (who sent back details of planned meetings with safety officers/Cobblers/Saints/Police).

If anyone can think of a route where we can find out of any FL comms with SISU, please say!

Manchester_sky_blue

I think it's because they're not strictly a public body. I sent a couple of FOI requests asking about the groundshare with Cobblers, one to the Department for Culture, Media & Sport (who sent back details of emails from the concerned public) and the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (who sent back details of planned meetings with safety officers/Cobblers/Saints/Police).

If anyone can think of a route where we can find out of any FL comms with SISU, please say!

I hadn't considered that, although I would argue that they are not a private entity either. Most private firms will provide FOI access anyway so long as its not sensitive data and we as fans of a member-club of the football league have a vested interest in dealings between the league and the club

fernandopartridge

As usual OSBs questions are the most relevant, for me if someone tweets those, especially the one about player registration, and they dont get asked, it shows what sort of journalist Reid is.

I've not got Twitter, can someone make sure he's asked something along the lines of: "When were players first allowed by the FL to be registered with Holdings? Why was this allowed? Will there be measures to stop a similar situation at this or any other club? Will someone take responsibility for this and offer an apology for the distress this mistake has caused CCFC fans?"

EDIT: never mind. Signed up and did it myself.

Well done.

oakey

The FL, like the FA, and other sporting governing bodies, are not accountable and open to scrutiny like other public bodies. Their relationship to governments is a peculiar one, and very convenient for them to hide behind and make their rules up as they go along.
This is at the heart of our problem, and, indeed football in Britain as a whole.
We would do well to continue to seek answers to highlight their exercise of power without responsibility or morality.

skablue

Shmmee , can you elaborate on your comment as to what sort of journalist Reid. For me he is the only local journalist that has bothered to follow this story and is trying to get to seek out the truth, hence speaking to people such as Greg Clarke, do you honestly think a professional journalist needs people to supply him with questions to ask, what would he do otherwise just turn shake Mr Clarkes hand and thank him for his time.

Noggin

Shmmee , can you elaborate on your comment as to what sort of journalist Reid. For me he is the only local journalist that has bothered to follow this story and is trying to get to seek out the truth, hence speaking to people such as Greg Clarke, do you honestly think a professional journalist needs people to supply him with questions to ask, what would he do otherwise just turn shake Mr Clarkes hand and thank him for his time.

Reid asked for questions, I'm sure he would have had plenty of his own but if we don't suggest things we can't really complain when they aren't asked, now we can. Les Reid certainly has been the best local journalist though I still wouldn't describe him as a good investigative journalist. A week or so ago he wrote an article saying the football league won't answer when the embargo will be dropped, a few minutes later he's all BREAKING EXCLUSIVE at pretty much the exact same time as ccfc twitter announced a new signing.

I still don't believe any journalist has asked proper questions of Tim Fisher and then called him out when he didn't answer those questions or answered with spin.

Les Reid says he is going to grill Greg Clark today I'll be surprised if he even sits him by the radiator.

shmmeee

I do because its a key question, if he's interested in following the story he'll put Clarke on the spot, if not he's more interested in keeping relationships IMHO.

Not sure what you mean with the second part of your post. You realise he was asking on Twitter for questions don't you?

skablue

Sorry missed the point re twitter questions. I'm sure he will put Clarke on the spot and ask him the right questions, don't think he's interested in relationships as he's wrote positive and negative articles about all sides involved in the dispute. The Telegraph as a paper may be interested in relationships with these organisations but as an individual I don't think Les Reid could give a toss about who he upsets.

dongonzalos

These are all worthy questions but I suspect the stock answer from Greg will be... "The main thing is-is that Coventry City can fulfil their fixture obligation and remain in the league"...

The question that never follows that answer is

Why would refusing a ground share mean Coventry do not fulfil their fixtures.

If SISU as a result of not been allowed to do the ground share threatened to not fulfil their fixtures.

The FL could have told the administrator if that is the case then they can't give the GS to SISU.

The administrator would then need to look at the next best option.

However the FL did not have the stomach for that legal battle.

Grendel

If SISU as a result of not been allowed to do the ground share threatened to not fulfil their fixtures.

The FL could have told the administrator if that is the case then they can't give the GS to SISU.

That would be illegal, that's why.

fernandopartridge

The administrator's job is to get the best deal for the creditors. It's got fuck all to do with the FL.

Grendel

Please elaborate....

Several reasons -- the administrator has to satisfy creditors and the bid by Otium was the best. What you seem to actually be suggesting is that the Football League should ignore the rules on liquidation and hand over an entitlement to another party on the basis that they would pay a commercial rent that the preferred bidder will not. So say the council said to Otium its £400,000 to you and to Haskell its £150,000 to you. You believe the FL should say over to you Mr Haskell. Actually on this they have made the correct decision. Landlords are not allowed to dictate who owns a football club. In the same way that the SISU bunch have been trying to force ACL out ACL have blatantly tried to get Haskell in as he satisfied their interests. Both sides are lamentable.

bigfatronssba

Several reasons -- the administrator has to satisfy creditors and the bid by Otium was the best. What you seem to actually be suggesting is that the Football League should ignore the rules on liquidation and hand over an entitlement to another party on the basis that they would pay a commercial rent that the preferred bidder will not. So say the council said to Otium its £400,000 to you and to Haskell its £150,000 to you. You believe the FL should say over to you Mr Haskell. Actually on this they have made the correct decision. Landlords are not allowed to dictate who owns a football club. In the same way that the SISU bunch have been trying to force ACL out ACL have blatantly tried to get Haskell in as he satisfied their interests. Both sides are lamentable.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the GS wasn't Mr Appleton's to give away. It isn't an asset owned by the football club, it is a share in the league normally awarded only to those who meet the Football League's rules. It has no cash value.

The FL does have the power to refuse to award the GS to certain bidders. See Portsmouth.

quinn1971

Thats the most sense I've heard for a while....tried to force sisu out and failed..The worrying thing was they were more concerned about the ricoh than the club in trying to achieve it.

Grendel

You seem to be ignoring the fact that the GS wasn't Mr Appleton's to give away. It isn't an asset owned by the football club, it is a share in the league normally awarded only to those who meet the Football League's rules. It has no cash value.

The FL does have the power to refuse to award the GS to certain bidders. See Portsmouth.

It ultimately has to give it to the preferred bidder. The oddity here is the rent dispute but what you are saying is offering it to a bidder that has failed to satisfy creditors of the football club by offering less. On what basis would they be offered the share, because another private company prefers them as they may pay their bills? Oh and Haskell must have offered less than Otium as a pence in the pound for the outstanding debt. How would you justify that?

fernandopartridge

Thats the most sense I've heard for a while....tried to force sisu out and failed..The worrying thing was they were more concerned about the ricoh than the club in trying to achieve it.

Agreed. It may eventually lead to their own demise.

Aside from that, it hardly makes ACL or CCC attractive to any prospective tenants.

fernandopartridge

It ultimately has to give it to the preferred bidder. The oddity here is the rent dispute but what you are saying is offering it to a bidder that has failed to satisfy creditors of the football club by offering less. On what basis would they be offered the share, because another private company prefers them as they may pay their bills? Oh and Haskell must have offered less than Otium as a pence in the pound for the outstanding debt. How would you justify that?

Haskell would have offered no more than a penny in the £. Somebody genuinely interested in the club would offer more surely?

Were they sealed bids?

Grendel

Haskell would have offered no more than a penny in the £. Somebody genuinely interested in the club would offer more surely?

Were they sealed bids?

Probably but the point is Otium will have offered ACL more than Haskell did. That makes a nonsense of any suggestion Haskell should have won the bid. On what grounds?

bigfatronssba

Were they sealed bids?

Another opinion presented as fact.

Only Appleton and Haskell should know what he bid. For all you know he could have offered 26p in the pound.

Grendel

Another opinion presented as fact.

Only Appleton and Haskell should know what he bid. For all you know he could have offered 26p in the pound.

If he offered more than Otium he would have a case, are you saying he offered more?

bigfatronssba

If he offered more than Otium he would have a case, are you saying he offered more?

If you read my post carefully you will realise that I said no one on here knows what he offered.

Are you saying you know for certain that he offered no more than a penny in the pound?

Grendel

If you read my post carefully you will realise that I said no one on here knows what he offered.

Are you saying you know for certain that he offered no more than a penny in the pound?

No I never said that. I am saying he offered less to all Creditors. So ACL would get more from Otium than Haskell. Do you accept that?

Users who are viewing this thread