Leon Clarke (1 Viewer)

slowpoke

Certainly knew where the back of the net was, we sold him and struggled, often happens when you sell centre-forwards who score goals.

Last edited:

pusbccfc

He was far better than Wilson in that season but didn't get the plaudits. His link up play, power and ruthless finishing was a joy.

I'd argue he was better than Armstrong and McGoldrick in League 1 too. Shame he jumped ship as he had 15 goals in 23 games at that point.

Hobo

Clarke was great for us. He got a lot of goal scoring chances playing for us, scored plenty but missed even more. His over all contribution was goood too.

He was an excellent League One striker. But that was his level.

Gman1987

He was far better than Wilson in that season but didn't get the plaudits. His link up play, power and ruthless finishing was a joy.

I'd argue he was better than Armstrong and McGoldrick in League 1 too. Shame he jumped ship as he had 15 goals in 23 games at that point.
certainly better than Armstrong as he faded dramatically after the xmas period. Also agree that he didnt get the plaudits, and who knows that could of been one of the factors that decided it for him (seperate from the £20k extra a week) McGoldrick though was the real deal for me. He'd of been a phenomanal signing for us, and has consistently proven his worth. Shame our owners didnt see it that way into offering a deal

Bertola

certainly better than Armstrong as he faded dramatically after the xmas period. Also agree that he didnt get the plaudits, and who knows that could of been one of the factors that decided it for him (seperate from the £20k extra a week) McGoldrick though was the real deal for me. He'd of been a phenomanal signing for us, and has consistently proven his worth. Shame our owners didnt see it that way into offering a deal

Harsh to blame the owners for McGoldrick not signing. He came on loan from the Championship, ran riot, and then as soon as the window opened he went back to the championship. We actually did well as a club (probably nothing to do with the owners, but someone did well) to get Clarke in on loan before McGoldrick left

Sick Boy

Harsh to blame the owners for McGoldrick not signing. He came on loan from the Championship, ran riot, and then as soon as the window opened he went back to the championship. We actually did well as a club (probably nothing to do with the owners, but someone did well) to get Clarke in on loan before McGoldrick left
Yeah, they were two excellent signings, especially Clarke.

Gman1987

Perhaps, but there wasnt an offer either. Agreed about Clarke, hadnt he fell out with someone?

CDK

Mcgoldrick and Clarke both of them were great additions at the time a shame we didn't get them to stay as goal scorers make teams successful.

stevefloyd

Just after we won the checkatrade cup I went to watch us play away at Sheff Utd we had Lameiras masquerading as a front man who looked utter shite on the night( and most of the time) Clarke was a sub for them, when they brought him on we were left drooling of what a striker should be like...class although he seemed a moody bugger he certainly gave Wilson a helping hand or 2

Travs

We seemed to go incredibly quickly from a front two of Clarke Wilson, to a front two of Akpom and Delfonso, in a short space of time at Northampton.

I was travelling there most weeks and saw some great high-scoring games.... then bought a half-season ticket around xmas time and i think we only won one more home match that season.

rob9872

We seemed to go incredibly quickly from a front two of Clarke Wilson, to a front two of Akpom and Delfonso, in a short space of time at Northampton.
Fk me completely forgot we had him for a few games and now beating Vik to the golden boot.

The Philosopher

Pressley was such a strange management story. For a time worked wonders playing every game away from home, points deductions, rubbish budget, players developed and sold on negativity all around. I thought he’d go on to great things.

Was it soon after he had a fight with someone in the dressing room and made the “there’s players that will never play for this club again” interview that things went wrong?

Did he lose the dressing room? Who was the fight with? (If anyone has any intel that’d be interesting)

Nonetheless, his management career has never really recovered. I thought he’d manage on Scotland again to rebuild his reputation at their L1/Champ level - instead he went to Cyprus or something.

NorthernWisdom

Pressley was such a strange management story. For a time worked wonders playing every game away from home, points deductions, rubbish budget, players developed and sold on negativity all around. I thought he’d go on to great things.

Was it soon after he had a fight with someone in the dressing room and made the “there’s players that will never play for this club again” interview that things went wrong?

Did he lose the dressing room? Who was the fight with? (If anyone has any intel that’d be interesting)

Nonetheless, his management career has never really recovered. I thought he’d manage on Scotland again to rebuild his reputation at their L1/Champ level - instead he went to Cyprus or something.
You don't need intel, but it does allow me to share a classic tweet for no real reason at all.

Sick Boy

From what I remember, I think something happened with him and Reda Johnson.

Gint11

Don’t think Clarkes ability was ever in question. It’s the club hopping he did at every opportunity. Think I saw somewhere he’s had 17 clubs.

Sick Boy

Don’t think Clarkes ability was ever in question. It’s the club hopping he did at every opportunity. Think I saw somewhere he’s had 17 clubs.
Don’t blame him at all for leaving us. Wolves were top of the Championship from what I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread