Leicester... (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Just been looking through there forums and they have been saying the likes of very poor atmosphere at the past 3fixtures at the ricoh.
HOLD ON

I fink you will find it was your lot not making any noise...
Yes admited not all of our fans like to sing but in 15 16 17 we never stoped the last 2 years.

Another thing
Are they the ones with no rivals
Or are we the ones with no rivals?

Changeyourface

Well unfortunatley more and more 15 year olds seem to be turning up to these games singing "we hate leicester" and that cringey as fuck "interbred chant" so we are now laughed at because apperently we "hate" them when the majority of them couldn't care less about Coventry, although I know very few Cov fans who consider Leicester to be a rival either. Leicester hate Forest and Derby but they turn round and say they don't care in pretty much the same way the vile do to us. So to sum it up Our main rivals Villa then the other West Mids teams, and Leicesters are Forest and then Derby although we both have no natural rivals which is why some people have tried to create this manufactured rivalry "the M69 Derby".

skybluearmy88

See I do find them rivals, I was always told as a younger fan that they have always been known as rivals because they are a local team who are also very similar in stature to us they just have loads more money

SkyBlueDickie

Well unfortunatley more and more 15 year olds seem to be turning up to these games singing "we hate leicester" and that cringey as fuck "interbred chant" so we are now laughed at because apperently we "hate" them when the majority of them couldn't care less about Coventry, although I know very few Cov fans who consider Leicester to be a rival either. Leicester hate Forest and Derby but they turn round and say they don't care in pretty much the same way the vile do to us. So to sum it up Our main rivals Villa then the other West Mids teams, and Leicesters are Forest and then Derby although we both have no natural rivals which is why some people have tried to create this manufactured rivalry "the M69 Derby".

You say unfortunately however let's be honest if it takes a shallow history-less derby with Leicester and some stupid songs to get an extra thousand fans through the turnstiles then I think that is fine. Also, if it creates a better atmosphere then I don't see the harm.

skybluearmy88

You say unfortunately however let's be honest if it takes a shallow history-less derby with Leicester and some stupid songs to get an extra thousand fans through the turnstiles then I think that is fine. Also, if it creates a better atmosphere then I don't see the harm.
Yeah I agree, let's be honest we need an atmosphere at the ricoh and the leicester game seems to be one of the few games that we get any kind of atmosphere.

Changeyourface

Just makes the club look embarrassing in my opinion, leicester are the well known team that have no rivals and are laughed at because of it, and now a few kids think its a big rivalry it makes us look embarrassing "hating" a team that supposedly no-cares about and they aren't even that bothered about us. I will never be able to see it as a rival becasue when was I growing up it simply wasn't wern't even mentioned till about 2005. And the atmosphere's not exactly great when we play them anyway compared to rivalries like; Sheffields, Black Country, Welsh, East Mids etc.. and the atmosphere's normally better against Birmingham, wolves and west brom anyway

AngryAnt

Always consider vile to be our rivals. Couldn't care less about leicester when we were in the prem and don't now. If people want to dress it up as the M69 derby to drum support and it works then fine, i dont consider it one though and never will.

covladzak

Always consider vile to be our rivals. Couldn't care less about leicester when we were in the prem and don't now. If people want to dress it up as the M69 derby to drum support and it works then fine, i dont consider it one though and never will.
Too Right! :claping hands:

coundonskyblue

I consider it a Derby, I don't really see how it can't be. The one I don't understand is when people class wolves as a derby game.

PhilWasn'tBabb

Its been said before but it goes back to when you started supporting the club in my view, the younger fans will look to Leicester as they are one of the closest local teams that we have play regularly in the last ten years.

Me I'm a late 80s - 90s boy so it's always going to be the Villa, and before that I understand it was wolves.

Anyway let the young lads get on with it, at least their showing a bit of passion, all be it somewhat miss guided.

That having been said, I think Leicester's spending and having seven at the helm are all good reasons to dislike them.

PUSB...

smileycov

Facebook User
I consider it a Derby, I don't really see how it can't be. The one I don't understand is when people class wolves as a derby game.

They don't class it as a derby game. they are classed as rivals due to the 60's era (not my era!) when we beat them for the title to go up into the then top league Div 1. watched by our biggest attendance of 57k. That era is where the Wolves bit comes in.

Villa will allways be a biggy for the older lads to be fair. But as pointed out for the last 10 years we haven't played em, so fester being down the road makes sense. Cant understand why people getting twisted about it, no harm in creating an atmosphere. Besides, all the fighting that goes on even at the boxing at the sky dome, and concerts tell you that anyone saying cov/fester means nothing is very mistaken.
PUSB

skybluesteve76

Of course Leicester are rivals. The days of going to filbert street and getting pelted with coins for ninety minutes saw to that. I'm 35 and grew up hating villa, but soon realised they couldn't care less about us! Leicester are different, they do class us as rivals these days and the m69 derby is good for the club in terms of revenue and atmosphere. I think it all depends on personal experience and age as to who you class as a rival.

covcity4life

ill be getting my ticket sometimes this week even though ticket prices are higher this year

im scared though,hate to see us get thrashed and see incester fans being so happy BUT if we managed to sneak a win it would be a big underdog victory

Chipfat

Im not sure it will be a happy time for us cov fans as i can see us on the end of a right dicking!!!!! im seeing a 0-3, or 0-4

SkyBluePryce

i consider it as our biggest derby currently, until we play the Vile again. That could be because I didn't support Cov when we were in the Premiership. I don't see how any 'local derby' can be described as embarrasing? who would ever say its embarassing. Plus they turn out in their numbers for a reason, as well as being a local away game. And theres an increase in atmosphere for a reason. If any derby's embarrasing at the moment it should be vile derby (though i dont think this), they dont care that much about us anymore, don't get me wrong the vile derby has more history about it.

rob9872

Calm down girls

SkyBlueMania

Villa say they don't care but if we got them in the cup I'm sure it would be an epic game/atmosphere home or away. We aren't as big as Brum to them obviously, but we had such a long running history with Villa when Brum were in the lower leagues that there's no way they can say they wouldn't enjoy playing us again. I for one would love to get them in the cup, it's the draw I'm always hoping for!

SkyBluePryce

Don't get me wrong i'd also love to get Vile in the cup, preferably the FA, so it means a bit more, though Villa might see the carling cup as an opportunity for silverware

My utter distain for Fester comes from working in that godforsaken place for a decade.Their fans think they are a big time club.....they never have been and never will be :facepalm:
One of my happiest memories was the day they were relegated,i was in work that day glued to woolyback FM radio.Listening to the inbreds crying in the post-match phone-in was great fun :p Did i gloat ?!? you bet ya hairy ballbag i did !!!!!!!

In saying that i think we're up for a right proper butt-bumming on saturday :whistle:

PUSB

Sky Blue M

To me, Leicester is the big one and it has only come about in the last 3 or 4 years. Dislike Villa but I have only seen us play them once. But especially now with Leicesters success in terms of much more enjoyable things ie getting relegated, then winning league 1, then play offs then getting taken over and spalshing the cash, whilst we have finished bottom third every season, just really riles me up. Now with all their money I would absolutely love to smash them.

Marty

Never considered Leicester a rival, When i was growing up it was always the Villa, slightly manufactured maybe, but it suited both clubs at the time. We were the top 2 teams in the midlands at time and none of the other clubs were anywhere near good enough to join us in the prem.

I can't see anything other then a loss on saturday, hopefully keep it close though, but getting a hammering could wake SISU up to the fact the team isn't good enough to keep us up.

i consider it as our biggest derby currently, until we play the Vile again. That could be because I didn't support Cov when we were in the Premiership. I don't see how any 'local derby' can be described as embarrasing? who would ever say its embarassing. Plus they turn out in their numbers for a reason, as well as being a local away game. And theres an increase in atmosphere for a reason. If any derby's embarrasing at the moment it should be vile derby (though i dont think this), they dont care that much about us anymore, don't get me wrong the vile derby has more history about it.

I also think our rivalry with Villa is more embarrassing than the one with Leicester. Villa have been a top half Prem club for the last decade while we've been languishing in the Championship. Whereas, bar their promotion under MA, Leicester are of a similar stature to us and have had similar fortunes. We also both built new stadiums around the same time. This together with the fact it's just a short drive down the M69 and you can see why the rivalry's grown the longer both clubs have spent in the Championship together.

I do think it depends what generation you're from though. I supported Cov in the Premiership throughout the 90s and hated Villa as a kid. But since we've stopped playing them Leicester have become the new Villa for me.

lcfcbob

hopefully this will help,, if you live in loughborough or that side of leicester you will hate derby most, if you live in melton or area you would hate forest, if you live in hinckley or area you would hate cov most ,leicester centre people seem to hate all of above,its just because the county spreads its self out in different directions, cov is a derby for me as i work with cov fans at hinckley,but not so forest or derby,

covcity4life

im 28 but see leicester as more our rivals than villa

we live up the road,same league,not much between us results wise head to head and add in hate chantsm,hooliganilsm and forum wars you got yourself the M69 derby!

i look forward to it and im glad to have a derby(well not this year)

Marty

Never considered Leicester a rival, When i was growing up it was always the Villa, slightly manufactured maybe, but it suited both clubs at the time. We were the top 2 teams in the midlands at time and none of the other clubs were anywhere near good enough to join us in the prem.

I can't see anything other then a loss on saturday, hopefully keep it close though, but getting a hammering could wake SISU up to the fact the team isn't good enough to keep us up.

Would just like to add that i do look forward to the games with Leicester, but i don't see it as our big derby, I see the other West Midlands clubs as bigger derbies, but thats probaly as i'm from the Birmingham side of Cov & have quite a few mates who support those teams. ;)

hopefully this will help,, if you live in loughborough or that side of leicester you will hate derby most, if you live in melton or area you would hate forest, if you live in hinckley or area you would hate cov most ,leicester centre people seem to hate all of above,its just because the county spreads its self out in different directions, cov is a derby for me as i work with cov fans at hinckley,but not so forest or derby,

Makes sense.

Sky Blue Sheepy

That's a good point really - I have some friends in Burbage (small village inbetween Cov and Leicester) and most of them see it as a rivalry for the fact that most footie fans there are either Cov or Leicester fans.

kg82

Why does anybody find any rivalry embarrassing? I don't get it. A bit of rivalry adds a bit of atmosphere to a game and people are "embarrassed" about the fact we say we have a rivalry with them. Villa may have said they didn't care about us but when it got to that game they hated us. I know this from standing in the Holt End last game of the season in the early 90's with my dad and hearing the hate and spite shouted at the Cov players and fans for the whole game. It's better to have rivalry with some teams then say you're embarrassed to have rivalry's in my opinion.

Nick

Administrator
Why does anybody find any rivalry embarrassing? I don't get it. A bit of rivalry adds a bit of atmosphere to a game and people are "embarrassed" about the fact we say we have a rivalry with them. Villa may have said they didn't care about us but when it got to that game they hated us. I know this from standing in the Holt End last game of the season in the early 90's with my dad and hearing the hate and spite shouted at the Cov players and fans for the whole game. It's better to have rivalry with some teams then say you're embarrassed to have rivalry's in my opinion.

I think he meant about the chavs who take it a bit too far. It is local and it is good when some tackles go in to get the crows going but it is no old firm is it?

I love a good match against Leicester or anybody who I have mates who support as it is bragging rights and a license to take the piss out of them for it.

It is like going into School on the monday and laughing if we ever beat Liverpool back in the day.

kg82

I think he meant about the chavs who take it a bit too far. It is local and it is good when some tackles go in to get the crows going but it is no old firm is it?

I love a good match against Leicester or anybody who I have mates who support as it is bragging rights and a license to take the piss out of them for it.

It is like going into School on the monday and laughing if we ever beat Liverpool back in the day.

Maybe, but people used to say it about villa too. I just don't get the point in trying to belittle a rivalry that a lot of fans enjoy. Football is about rivalrys and anything that makes the atmosphere better at the ricoh is a good thing in my book!

Sky Blue Sheepy

Maybe, but people used to say it about villa too. I just don't get the point in trying to belittle a rivalry that a lot of fans enjoy. Football is about rivalrys and anything that makes the atmosphere better at the ricoh is a good thing in my book!
I thought it was meant as embarassing, in that we think they're a big rival and Villa don't actually give a toss about us. Tbh having only supported Cov in the Championship Era, to mark Villa as a big rival would be a bit silly for me personally.

smileycov

Facebook User
I thought it was meant as embarassing, in that we think they're a big rival and Villa don't actually give a toss about us. Tbh having only supported Cov in the Championship Era, to mark Villa as a big rival would be a bit silly for me personally.

The comment was aimed at leicester though mate!

asiansmurf

I'm a City fan, everyone is our rival. I don't care another team or their supporters, or their songs, or their tea-lady. We all have our own feeling who is more a rival than others depending where we live but we should see ALL as rivals.

kg82

It's not silly though. We were the only 2 teams from the West Mids in the Prem for the whole time we were in it - that's the same county! It's not as if they were a million miles away. And read my earlier post about what Villa fans said and what they actually did. It's true that a lot of them probably didn't care, but a lot of them did too. In terms of proximity, Villa Park is also closer so I don't feel the Villa rivalry was silly at all.

Users who are viewing this thread