Leicester points deduction (1 Viewer)

Grendel

I'd have thought it makes it a dead cert for penalties next season though.

Go up - PL enforces it's ruling from your previous stint and deducts points.

Stay in EFL - you'll have broken the limits as an EFL club and so get deducted points for that.

Possible outcome - go up this year, get PL sanctions and come back down. Season after the EFL hit you with sanctions as well for not complying with rules this season.

There are no points deduction for breaches in the EFL are there?

Hiraeth

There are no points deduction for breaches in the EFL are there?
Think Blues had a 9 points deduction for breaching Profitability and Sustainability P&S rules in 2018/19.

They made amendments to P&S since but as far as I know I don't think they changed the potential sanctions.

Terry Gibson's perm

If they fine the clubs where does the money go back into the prem pot and the the fined teams get some of it back?

Deity

I’m seeing various reports, whether factual or not I don’t know, of a possible points deduction for them, but not until they reach the PL?

On the face of it and without knowing any of the actual facts, seems totally unfair and an agenda to make sure they go straight back up!

If you break the rules you should be punished and not rewarded, hardly sets a good example for the rest of the league does it?
The Premier League and EFL have made a complete hash of this.

Leicester admit they are guilty but the Premier League can’t punish them this season because this season they are an EFL team and therefore not within Premier League jurisdiction. They can punish them next season if they are promoted.

Leicester are almost certainly in breach of EFL rules this season but their accounts won’t be available for this period until next year. At that point they can only punish Leicester at the point they become a EFL team again.

It’s a simple loop hole that Leicester are exploiting.

Deity

Added to this nonsense the Premier League in their wisdom have decided that the punishment for breaking the rules is a points deduction so small that it doesn’t really impact whether you stay in the Premier League or not.

Therefore clubs worried about going down would be better off breaking the rules, improving their chances of staying up, and then taking a small points deduction.

It really is a shambolic situation

Frostie

Added to this nonsense the Premier League in their wisdom have decided that the punishment for breaking the rules is a points deduction so small that it doesn’t really impact whether you stay in the Premier League or not.

Therefore clubs worried about going down would be better off breaking the rules, improving their chances of staying up, and then taking a small points deduction.

It really is a shambolic situation
Agreed but it's not the Premier League's doing in fairness, the level of punishment is set by an independent commission. The Premier League have asked for larger deductions at every stage but been overruled.

You would have to hope that the sanctions against Leicester are proportionate otherwise it is no deterrent for blatant cheating.
If Everton got 6pts for going £20m over, what should Leicester get for exceeding it by more than £110m (more than double the permitted amount)?
Not to mention both Everton & Forest's punishments were reduced due to their cooperation with the investigations whilst Leicester have done everything in their power to impede them.

Hobo

If they fine the clubs where does the money go back into the prem pot and the the fined teams get some of it back?

The reason they don't fine them, is by breaching the rules they have gained a sporting advantage through overspending on wages and or transfers. The clubs voted to have points deducted because it is a sporting punishment.

I think Forest gambled that they could live with the points deducted. Assuming that, having spent so much they would be clear of the relegation threat?

What fans forget is these are the rules the Premier League Clubs imposed on themselves.

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

Long term the PL is fucked.

So many of the owners are either American, where they protect their investment by not allowing relegation, or owned by actual states that can spend and litigate against any punishments. They have no interest in sporting integrity, it's about image or soft power.

There is no governing body that can do anything to stop it, the PL is run by its members and we have to take responsibility for voting to set that up when we were in the elite.

Gynnsthetonic

Long term the PL is fucked.

So many of the owners are either American, where they protect their investment by not allowing relegation, or owned by actual states that can spend and litigate against any punishments. They have no interest in sporting integrity, it's about image or soft power.

There is no governing body that can do anything to stop it, the PL is run by its members and we have to take responsibility for voting to set that up when we were in the elite.
I fuckin hate it, the best bit is trying to get there, when your there its mostly boring sterile football

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The Premier League and EFL have made a complete hash of this.

Leicester admit they are guilty but the Premier League can’t punish them this season because this season they are an EFL team and therefore not within Premier League jurisdiction. They can punish them next season if they are promoted.

Leicester are almost certainly in breach of EFL rules this season but their accounts won’t be available for this period until next year. At that point they can only punish Leicester at the point they become a EFL team again.

It’s a simple loop hole that Leicester are exploiting.
Or hopefully will start two seasons in a row with points deductions...

skybluericoh

I think it is split between the other PL clubs, but it is a proposal at the moment. It might be the task force being set up may influence this in the long run as if this is the case then the rich clubs will be able to do what they want. A fine means nothing to them.
I don't think is unreasonable if a rich owner gifts a club billions, provided it is given and they cannot then say 'Im off now give me my money back'. Ok this would cause an issue if the owner was also subsidising the wage bill maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread