Leicester article by David Conn (4 Viewers)

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Interesting article by David Conn expressing concerns about the Leicester City FC finances to get promoted to the Premiership. Seems FL have concerns.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ball-league-financial-fair-play-investigation

Also included an interesting paragraph that may cast doubt on what we are being told about the importance of other incomes like naming rights & sponsorship

"Senior figures at Championship clubs say shirt sponsorships in the division earn between £250,000‑500,000, and it is difficult to sell stadium naming rights at all. Leicester’s local rival, Derby County, who have a bigger stadium capacity, recently sold their naming rights to iPro, a sports-drink company, for £700,000 a year" ............... and thats at Championship level, let alone L1 :thinking about:

Last edited:

chiefdave

Also included an interesting paragraph that may cast doubt on what we are being told about the importance of other incomes like naming rights & sponsorship

"Senior figures at Championship clubs say shirt sponsorships in the division earn between £250,000‑500,000, and it is difficult to sell stadium naming rights at all. Leicester’s local rival, Derby County, who have a bigger stadium capacity, recently sold their naming rights to iPro, a sports-drink company, for £700,000 a year"

That equates to £1.2m which is 3 players salary based on average championship wages. I think that represents a significant problem. And thats before you consider any other incomes we don't get access to.

chiefdave

FFP is utterly stupid anyway. An example of a strategy poorly thought through.

The only way to do it is have a fixed squad, so like the world cup you name your squad before the first game and thats it for the season. Have a salary cap, and potentially a salary floor as well. Would make the league much more competitive.

NorthernWisdom

The only way to do it is have a fixed squad, so like the world cup you name your squad before the first game and thats it for the season. Have a salary cap, and potentially a salary floor as well. Would make the league much more competitive.

Salary cap would have to be outside of club incomes though.

What I find fascinating about American Sport is that on the one level, it's as ruthlessly commercial as you can get (ripping up a club and taking it elsewhere) but when it comes to elements such as a draft system and a salary cap, they get positively collegiate in their actions.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
That equates to £1.2m which is 3 players salary based on average championship wages. I think that represents a significant problem. And thats before you consider any other incomes we don't get access to.

yes if they can maximise it to those figures and clearly without owning the naming rights to sell in the first place they cant. But then it seems there are not many takers anyway. So that means insufficient income to pay the salaries to compete at Championship level doesnt it?

The other incomes ? the reality is they could improve that even now if they put their mind to it but they dont seem to want to. Most of the incomes (80%+)at CCFC are not dependent on owning the ground or even doing a deal with Wasps

Cant help thinking (conspiracy plots aside) that SISU are breathing a sigh of relief we are not going up because of the financial consequences that would bring for them.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

I also don't see the value on stadium sponsorship for the people buying it either, because Ricoh have sponsored the arena it hasn't made we want to go out and buy a photocopier.

Nick

Administrator
I also don't see the value on stadium sponsorship for the people buying it either, because Ricoh have sponsored the arena it hasn't made we want to go out and buy a photocopier.

But then if you had a need for a Photocopier, would you not think of them first over Xerox, Samsung or HP?

Ever since Allsop & Allsop have sponsored us, I have seen a lot more of their signs about.

Think it just depends on the product / brand. The same as if JLR sponsor it, I can't see it making too much difference because if people want a Jag or Land Rover they know what they want so they go and get one.

NorthernWisdom

Ever since Allsop & Allsop have sponsored us, I have seen a lot more of their signs about.

Yup, I take note of them as the agents whenever they crop up on Rightmove too, whereas most of the time whoever the agent is washes over my head.

If I were selling a house, I'd now have Allsop and Allsop at the front of my mind as an agent to approach to do it... even if not consciously because of a CCFC link.

Gazolba

The only way to do it is have a fixed squad, so like the world cup you name your squad before the first game and thats it for the season.<snip>

And no-one would ever sign Reda Johnson.

Terry Gibson's perm

But then if you had a need for a Photocopier, would you not think of them first over Xerox, Samsung or HP?

Think it just depends on the product / brand. The same as if JLR sponsor it, I can't see it making too much difference because if people want a Jag or Land Rover they know what they want so they go and get one.

Nah Nick I'm a price man, when I sold my house I used whoever I thought would do the best job

Terry Gibson's perm

With Tata in a bit of a fix at the moment would that explain why the arena is still Ricoh rather than JLR

Users who are viewing this thread