Left back (1 Viewer)

Skybluedownunder

So thought I’d suggest a name for Left Back that might get people excited. I’d absolutely love to see Danny Fox back at CCFC. His contract expires at the end of the season, he’s 34 so not a bad age and adds so much experience to a very young squad and personally I think he has unfinished business with us. He has an impressive CV with plenty of experience, experience I think we will need in this division. Peoples thoughts?

Would also love to hear other people’s suggestions for the left back spot. Giles would be great but not heard much since he left about us trying to get him back and because we didn’t play him much when he was here he may not want to come back.

fernandopartridge

So thought I’d suggest a name for Left Back that might get people excited. I’d absolutely love to see Danny Fox back at CCFC. His contract expires at the end of the season, he’s 34 so not a bad age and adds so much experience to a very young squad and personally I think he has unfinished business with us. He has an impressive CV with plenty of experience, experience I think we will need in this division. Peoples thoughts?

Would also love to hear other people’s suggestions for the left back spot. Giles would be great but not heard much since he left about us trying to get him back and because we didn’t play him much when he was here he may not want to come back.

Bizarre obsession with former players!

Why would Giles be great? He didn't get a game while he was here, we have seen literally nothing from him.

As for the suggestion on Danny Fox, no.

Mucca Mad Boys

We need a left back, but Danny Fox nor Giles are the answers. Giles had a nice Cameo v Rotherham, that's it. As for Danny Fox, I was surprised to hear he still plays Championship football and at centre back.

Signing ex-players, more often than not, is like returning to a toxic relationship. Not a good idea and doesn't tend to work out: Avoid!

Skybluedownunder

Bizarre obsession with former players!

Why would Giles be great? He didn't get a game while he was here, we have seen literally nothing from him.

As for the suggestion on Danny Fox, no.

When Giles came on he looked dangerous, was whipping in crosses, he was clearly a threat and he is very highly rated from Wolves, Shrewsbury and from our management.

who would be your suggestion for a left back then?

Magwitch

Robins will know who he wants and possibly has it set up, he’s had a good look at Giles so if he goes for and gets him that’ll do for me. I know the lad we have Joe Newton regular in under 23s well regarded but only nineteen so perhaps a bit early yet.

Magwitch

Talking young Giles don’t think any of us can have an opinion on him to be honest he never played other than the last minutes v Rotherham.
He played well against us at Shrewsbury though.

Frostie

As Robins said at the time Giles was someone we'd been watching for a while so took the opportunity to have a look at him.

It clearly didn't work out though if the other players didn't rate him.

Also...do we not all think that the lad Giles from Wolves will be our starting LWB next season? I'd put my house on MR bringing him back on loan next season and taking McCallum's spot.

Doubt it
It didn't work out at all for him here
The other players didn't rate him and the lad himself couldn't work out why he'd been brought in and then hardly featured

Skybluefaz

Excellent pre-season wind up material. 10/10 for making it look genuine.

better days

Robins will know who he wants and possibly has it set up, he’s had a good look at Giles so if he goes for and gets him that’ll do for me. I know the lad we have Joe Newton regular in under 23s well regarded but only nineteen so perhaps a bit early yet.
Newton played a full season in men's football as a 16 year old
Reckon we'll have a look at him in pre season games

Skybluedownunder

BigadamL

Mason i would like to think will have a fair crack at the whip but didn't Robin say that Giles was here to look at for long term? could be wrong and made that up! specially when we paid a loan fee to get him here

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Mason i would like to think will have a fair crack at the whip but didn't Robin say that Giles was here to look at for long term? could be wrong and made that up! specially when we paid a loan fee to get him here

Think it may have been as a short of extended trial. If we were looking to use him long term you'd have thought MR would've preferred him to McCallum. Although I accept not disrupting a team in such good form would be a good reason you might have thought he'd have given him a bit more time off the bench to try and work his way in and have a good look at him.

My instinct says he didn't impress as much as hoped and our interest has wained somewhat. We'll be looking at options to bring in but at the same time will be having a close look at both Mason and Newton to see if they're up to it.

Frostie

The Wigan boss however commenting on Danny Fox's performances...

"Danny's been great, he's been out for a period of time, and the performances he's put in of late have been five star," Richardson acknowledged.

He's 34 & played 9 games all season, all of them as a Centre Back. Nevertheless you want him as our new Left Back, even though we play a system that doesn't even use full backs? o_O

Users who are viewing this thread