Leeds/Reading Festival (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

I've never been, but back in the day, the tent burning and fights were a yearly tradition, from what I heard.

Sick Boy

No, they really did happen every year. Since at least 2000, anyway. The fires from this year look pretty tame by comparison from what I’ve seen.
Yeah, it used to happen every year at Reading as a tradition, from what I recall.

Reactions: AOM

Ccfcsj

My son and his friends have been the last 2 years and always leave as soon as the final act is finished (or about 1/2 hour before) on the Sunday night to avoid the carnage

shmmeee

I last went to Reading in 98 and the last night was carnage. Toilets tipped, shit set on fire, whatever.

chiefdave

Went every year from 1992 to 2010 except one where I was out of the country (2000). The Sunday night was carnage for a few years after Woodstock 'inspired' people but seemed to have calmed down again. Not sure if its come back again because of the Woodstock documentary or if its sensationalist reporting of a few isolated incidents.

At some point many years ago it took a sharp turn from being a festival mainly for music fans into a huge piss up for kids who have just got their GCSE results, many of whom never make it off the campsite to see a band.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Daughter was at reading the Sunday night was horrendous according to her . Her mates stayed awake outside their tent to make sure they were safe

oscillatewildly

I last attended in 2001 and don't remember any such shenanigans either (or in the '90's)
Mind you, I did lose a nice wrist watch during the carnage of Rocket From The Crypt.

shmmeee

Did see a funny TikTok. Apparently they’ve got different camping zones now, one of which was a Green Zone or something where you had to agree to pick up your own litter before you left.

From the video I saw the place was half empty, had it’s own relatively clean toilets and was immaculate compared to the carnage around it. No extra cost, just you have to pick up after yourself and people didn’t want to do it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread